Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Your favorite Bourbon rose

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

I predict that Souvenir de la Malmaison (or its nearly identical twin Mystic Beauty) will rank very high on this list, so let's say what are your two favorite top Bourbons other than SDLM?

But if you have an especially nice pic of SDLM, do feel free to show it to us!

Once again, since I have only one Bourbon, this is an easy choice for me. I expect to learn a lot from this thread also.

Mystic Beauty (available only at Roses Unlimited, I think)
{{gwi:236892}}

Here's a somewhat bushy look at Mystic Beauty:
{{gwi:310997}}

OK--I'm waiting to see your favorite top two Bourbons now. : )

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 10:04

Comments (18)

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

My favorite is Mme Pierre Oger. I used to be blown away by cut specimens in a vase at my mother's house in Pennsylvania. Its cupped, rather long-stemmed flowers (2 1/2") grow on long rather drooping petioles in a supremely graceful way. It was one of the first roses I bought when I moved here. But I quickly lost it by pruning too late in winter and it was killed by a freak April snowstorm. I was devastated.

Mme Pierre Oger is the blush-pink sport of the darker rose-pink La Reine Victoria, which grew for years at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden in apparent perfect health. They are biggish bushes.

Leonie Bell and Helen Van Pelt Wilson say: "The two are the epitome of globular perfection and resemble the shell flowers made by Victorian ladies. Neither fades in the usual way but flushes deeper at the petal edges until a week-old flower glows flame-rose as though lit from within. This intensifying color is characteristic of China Roses but never so fascinating as in these dowager bourbons. Individual blooms are only 1 to 2 inches across and they have the typical fragrance of Damask with a suggestion of fruit, not overpowering but in perfect proportion."
    The petals have an "unimproved" soft, silky texture.

I also loved Kathleen Harrop, but my specimen has succumbed to -- something, I don't know what. And Souvenir de la Malmaison is without peer.

These beauties are not always that easy to grow, but they put to shame some of the later reproductions.

Here is a link that might be useful: In a Japanese garden, scroll down

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Zepherine Drouhin, one of my first roses.

• User
    10 years ago

Coupe d'Hebe - a surprisingly healthy rose with the same rounded form as Madame Pierre Oger and Reine Victoria - always surprised that this, along with Blairii 2 do not seem to figure in many collections. Mine grows in and around Tolstoi and Sibelius (a purple musk from Lens) on a chainlink fence in a wild tangled explosion of pinks which I have given up attempting to (ahem) 'train'.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

SdlM is by far my best Bourbon, but Romaggi Plot Bourbon in its third year has become very lovely, although the flowers are not as long-lasting. Mme. Cornelissen and Kronprinzessin Viktoria von Preussen are tied for second place. I've ordered Comtesse de Rocquigny, which is supposed to be outstanding, with an incredible fragrance, but probably won't receive this rose from Greenmantle Nursery until 2015.

Madame Dore would be at the top for the beauty of its flowers but it's stayed very small and therefore has few flowers.

Ingrid

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Mme Ernest Calvat is my favorite Bourbon. The incredible scent ALONE is worth the price of admission. She's gorgeous!!!

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

Tolstoy and Sibelius, oh, my! Must look these up.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Souv. de la Malmaison is still #1 in my garden but in early spring NOTHING can touch Zepherine Drouhin.

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

Boule de Neige'

I just love its' fragrance, delicious blend of floral notes, with rose.
    and I love white roses best.

Lux

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

I know it's early, but I've been impressed with the health and vigor of 'Souvenir de Victor Landeau'. It came as a band in Spring 2012, was planted in Summer 2013, and was one of the few Bourbons not hit hard by blackspot this year (it was actually barely fazed at all -- an occasional spotty leaf every so often, which was promptly shed and replaced). As far as the plant goes, I'm happy with it so far.

Of course, I also have 'Souvenir de la Malmaison' and it has given a few wonderful blooms in its first year as a band, but I knew as soon as I saw the title of this thread that it'd be already getting lots of votes.

:-)

~Christopher

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I have only 4 bourbons; SdlM, KPV, Maggie and Zeffy. Maggie was new for me this year, but has done exceptionally well here. For now, I would rate her first with SdlM and KPV following closely behind. Zeffy is brand newâ¦got her free with pansy purchases this fall, so I havenâÂÂt seen her bloom yet. Hoping she will be a favorite in years to come.

Maggie:

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    10 years ago

I have 12 SDLM. They are outstanding. I also have about 3 or 4 Maggies. I love Maggie. My SDLM are about 5-6 foot, and maggies are maybe 4 feet tall.
    Kronprincessin Viktoria does not like it here. St. Anne is ok, but resembles so many other roses that I have.
    SDLM and Maggie are wonderful.

Sammy

• User
    10 years ago

I have only Romaggi Plot Bourbon and Sophie's Perpetual, which some consider a Bourbon, others a China.

I am intrigued by Madame Dore.

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

Comice de Tarn-et-Garonne is perfection. Just planted last spring, but I'm in love.

• buford
    10 years ago

I forgot Zephie! Yes, in the spring she is awesome. I have her free flowing in the back yard, and you can smell her yards away.

Does anyone grow the climbing version of SDLM? I was thinking of getting it to grow on a pillar. Would that work?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

I loved my ZD that my neighbor killed! After about its fourth year, it was really beginning to bloom! I've planted another. Since it's the only Bourbon I've had experience with, it is my favorite. I planted Mme Isaac Pereire, have had only a couple of blooms, so I don't know about it yet.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Florence, that picture of ZD is so beautiful. There's nothing like a large climber in full bloom to lend instant romance to a garden.

Ingrid

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

Florence, your ZD is stunning. wow.

For the record, there's nothing wrong with talking to our roses. I myself always greet them in the morning and again at night when I'm about to go into the house. In the winter, I ask them to hold on & not die. So far, they've done as I asked.