Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Which Rose(s) are you Coveting?

Are there any roses that you're drawn to, but a lack of gardening space, different priorities, the roses in your garden are presenting enough of a challenge, or some other concern has stopped you from making the purchase?

I am presently coveting:

La France, it is verypretty, I like the history associated with it but, have no space to grow it

Mme. Dore is beautiful and on the smaller side, but by the time it becomes available I very likely will have filled the space with something else

Duchesse d Auerstadt, I was drawn to the color and form from the moment I saw it, but the color only works in my back garden that is a mix of moderns, shrub roses, and Austin's. I feared how well it would blend and purchased Graham Thomas. In addition to soft and subtle colors, I do like the rich and passionate deep reds, apricots, pinks, gold etc., that are found in my back garden, but tend to shy away from any neon color that shouts "hello I am here", even in my peripheral vision. If this is GT, DdA could be in my garden's near future.

Munstead Wood, I have removed it from orders twice. The Mme. Isaac Perierre that is new to my garden continues to show signs that it wants to remain. I have not seen this rose in person, so I do not know what it will do when summer arrives and it receives heat all day and sun from 10-4???? I have thought of growing a MW in a pot to take MIP' place when it leaves.

Pierre De St. Cyr...I am just drawn to it, have no space for it, but it remains on my list.

Which roses are you coveting and why?

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 12:37

Comments (23)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Rosa moschata because of its famous wafting fragrance that everyone rhapsodizes about, although I wonder whether it would waft as much in a low-humidity environment. The only thing that wafts here is the fragrance from the neighbor's orange grove, and that is quite strong and intoxicating.

Zalud House Raspberry Shingle because it's a mystery rose and mendocino rose praises it. She's kindly offered me a cutting but I don't have a place to put it.

Comtesse de Rocquigny, which seems to be a stunner, along the lines of SdlM but much more fragrant. I've actually ordered it for 2015, by which time I hope I'll have a spot for it.

Reve d'Or - I had it before and loved it but it was in too hot a spot against a house wall and dwindled away. It's gorgeous and a good bloomer, with few thorns.

Ingrid

• User
    10 years ago

Basye's Blueberry Supposed to be thornless with a wonderful fragrance and great disease resistance. The simple flowers with the big circle of yellow stamens remind me of Gallica Officinalis in some pictures. Not sure it would like my hot climate, though.

Madame Doré I like the darker petal reverse and the fragrance sounds amazing. Small enough for a pot, too.

I'd like to try Heirloom's version of Blush Noisette. They claim theirs is thornless. I wonder.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

There are many, many roses that I covet, but two things keep me from growing any of them: some are are not available in the U.S. or Canada, and I don't have the space for any of them, anyway. This drives me nuts.
    My first group of covetacious roses are the Tantau roses I listed in another thread a little below this one. I wanted Santa to bring them, but he didn't, of course. They include Belvedere, the large, ruffled, and a blended orange that fades to apricot; and Lavender Ice, many petaled and pale lavender, which, I think puts Love Song to shame. All in all, there are about eight to ten in this group, and I want every one of them.
    I also love the French Massad rose, Froufroutante Jackie, a yellow apricot powder puff, surrounded by an outer rim of flatter petals.
    Speaking of powder puffs, I covet climbing Pink Powder Puff, a Moore hybrid. I must be on a powder puff jag because the next rose I covet is sort of puffy and pale pink.
    It is Pink Prosperity, a 1931 hybrid musk.
    Then there is The Impressionist, a Clements hybrid of apricot lusciousness.
    Then there is Jaliteh, St Ethelburga, Star of the Republic, William Morris, Savoy Hotel, and on and on. But I think I've listed more than enough. What I need now are a couple of acres. Diane

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I seem to finally be satisfied with the collection of roses I have. I'm removing a few this winter due to poor performance, and I do not plan to replace those. I've de-accessioned roses several times before, but in the past it was to make room for more. Not this time. I actually can't think of a single rose I don't already have that I long to possess. My garden is blessed with many beautiful plants. Any expansion is in trees and shrubs in the land beyond the fence rather than in the watered garden inside it.

It is very restful to reach this equilibrium. I do hope it lasts.

Rosefolly

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Oh man, the list goes on and on. A few I lust after daily though are:

Earl of Eldon
    Duc D'Angouleme
    Duchesse D'Angouleme
    Duchesse D'Auerstadt
    Belle Vichyoise
    Elie Beauvillain

And many more. I'm really into Hybrid Chinas right now, so any of the Hybrid Chinas.

Josh

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

There are a number of very well-known, very good Teas and Tea-Chinas that I don't have and would like to. Most I've gotten in the past and killed by inadequate soil preparation. 'Lady Hillingdon', 'Le Vésuve' are a couple of examples. Then the Gigantea climbers and 'Susan Louise', the latter which I had for a few years before it succumbed to an unusually wet winter. The Noisette 'Lamarque'.
    I'm always interested in new Gallicas and other once-flowering old roses; these I'm buying now so that I can spend the rest of my life getting to know them. There are a few Foetida hybrids I'd like to have: 'Star of Persia', a Pemberton rose; and the sister seedlings 'Lawrence Johnston' and 'Le Reve'. Also the Foetida sport 'Austrian Copper', which I have but in an extremely struggling state. DH and I like R. foetida and 'Persian Yellow' and they do well for us.
    There are they gray-foliaged roses too, but I don't remember their names. We always have room for another rose.
    (You enabler, you.)
    Melissa

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I'm eagerly awaiting further word on how well Austin's new introduction Boscabel does in the garden. According to the catalog description, it is a full-bloomed pinkish-salmon blend, vigorous and healthy and about 3x 2.5. You'd think a gardener (me!) could slip a small one like that in somewhere, wouldn't you? But I'd have to dig a new spot--I'm getting a bit too "mature" for much digging! And besides I'd be breaking my new rule for gradually cutting down on the number of roses I have -- can only replace roses, in special cases, that have died or get RRD (etc.) and maybe not even then--although I am replacing my Eden climber that died "suddenly last summer" (joke--title of Tennesee Williams's play) with a Ghislaine de Feligonde--cuz you can't have a pillar standing out there in the middle of the garden with nothing on it, can you! Besides, I have discovered a small spot where I could sneak a small rose in--but maybe I'll just reserve Boscabel for my daydreaming rose--think about it a lot, but don't actually do anything about it. I guess time will tell. : )

Kate

• mariannese
    10 years ago

Only one, cantabrigiensis, because I am slowly culling my collection. But I feel that I need this early pale yellow as I have lost one hugonis and the double hugonis or xanthina I have is so slow. I saw this picture recently in a Swedish forum, taken in one of my favourite rose gardens in a climate as harsh as mine.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I'm in the identical situation as Kate when it comes to adding new roses. I'm sort of planning on buying Boscobel this spring-and I know it won't end up nearly as small as Austin's predictions. I have one of the best nurseries in the country--yes, I mean the whole country-- nearby and after perusing 15 plus pages of roses they plan to have in 2014, I'm succumbing and buying maybe two new roses. The Austins come in five gallon David Austin pots. They will keep the roses you select in a special greenhouse until you decide on a planting time. By then, the roses are huge and often blooming, Anyway, they have all the new Austins and Boscobel is one of them, so I couldn't resist. Kate, I'll report back to you how it does in the next year.
    Last night, I happened onto the photos seil had taken of her Eyeconic Pink Lemonade--they were breathtaking, and I am sunk. I am coveting this one for sure, and my nursery also has it, as well as a couple of other "Eyeconics". Oh me. Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

You're one lucky gardener having such a complete nursery near you--and Boscobel at your fingertips. I probably couldn't resist it under those circumstances, but as it is, it is probably best that I wait for people like you to report on the rose before I take a chance on it.

Looking forward to your report next summer--and lots of pics, I hope. : )

Kate

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Melissa, I had Lawrence Johnston a long time ago in another garden and found it to be an intriguing rose. The bloom is somehow unique and so is the fragrance, which I loved. It only bloomed once a year for me but I know that wouldn't bother you. I believe Peter Beales thought it was better than Le Reve but maybe you'll be able to make your own judgment about that in the future.

Ingrid

• nastarana
    10 years ago

I have modest collections of albas and ayeshire ramblers.

I would like to add Sophy de Marilly and Ferox, also the villosa hybrid Hurdalrosen to the albas. Then there is the wonderful Graveyard Alba, which was found in a cemetery in Colorado, and which likely will never be in commerce, unless HCR wants to introduce it.

A lady after my own heart named Karin Schade
    has an "alba project" at her nursery in Germany. She has about 8 or so found albas. (sigh) Gazing longingly at the pix on HMF is likely the closest I will ever get to those.

My plant of Duc de Constantine became Wedding Day when it bloomed, and now DdC is nowhere to be found, nor is Janet B. Wood.

I also bought a rugosa called Parsla, which turned out to be Frau Dagmar; it would be nice to know what the real Parsla might look like.

Wabbits ate my Siwa. I am hoping Heirloom will offer it again.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Lady Hillingdon is a rose I covet. It hasn't been in stock anywhere I've looked this past year. I have seen her in various gardens 4 times this year and each time my fondness for her grows. What a graceful plant.

Jay

• Evenie
    10 years ago

I try not to covet that which I cannot grow, but I would do most anything legal and a few things illegal to be able to grow a dark purple gallica.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

Canary Bird, both the yellow sweetbriar and the hybrid xanthina. The sweetbrier doesn't appear to have made it to the USA yet. The hybrid xanthina is very difficult to find here.

Rotes Phänomen, the purple/red rugosa, it is purple/red everywhere, including the stamens and inside the canes.

R. foetida--the single form, I have the double 'Persiana' and love it. Nothing in rosedom more yellow!

Schoener's Nutkana, which is a cross between the California native species R. nutkana and the hybrid perpetual Paul Neyron. SN was bred in California. Large plant and flowers (single medium to dark pink), repeat blooming in my area (botanic garden), shade tolerant, few thorns, lots of hips. And rust resistant unlike its parent Paul Neyron.

R. hemisphaerica, the sulphur rose. Packed with petals. Very hard to get!

Rosa cannabifolia, the hemp-leaved rose. A beautiful, and primitive, rare alba. Flowers look similar to R. fortuniana. White double flowers.

Schön Ingeborg, an absolutely gorgeous light pink hybrid perpetual that Cliff Orent imported. Now to be found sporadically at Palatine. Very double.

Suzanne, a double light pink spinisissima with the beautiful small foliage of that species. Gets big and bushy. Looks graceful and primitive. Missed getting it from Pickering (they sold out) a few years ago, then they dropped it from their catalog. Was on the waiting list at High Country Roses but their mother plant died.

R. beggeriana, its big and bushy, with single white flowers, and reblooms. Produces plentiful black/purple hips which are good for wildlife. From hot, dry areas of the world.

Lemon Light, a yellow seedling of the enormous tree-eating Kiftsgate but not quite as large. Used to be in the catalogs of Heirloom (and not seen anywhere else). Hope they offer it again.

R. glutinosa, the pine-scented rose, a pink single. I like roses with either unusual scents in the foliage or flowers. Forestfarm grows it, but is out-of-stock. I've asked them to propagate it, so maybe 2014!

Buttercup, a small yellow Austin, with flowers that resemble buttercups. I want it, but I don't want the RMV that would be inevitable should I purchase direct from Austin. Not readily available elsewhere, especially from any that virus index.

R. horrida, it is, as its name implies, a horrible little thing! Loaded with thorns, the beasty suckers like mad, and thus appeals to me. White single flowers, sets copious hips. Good for wildlife food and safe haven. From the Caucasus.

Paul Délépine, a stunning small polyantha I saw at Eurodesert. It is a sort of purpley pink. Very floriferous.

Yellow Blush, a light yellow alba. Very double. I'll probably have to wait a good long time before this one is available....

Domine Sampson, a short light pinky lilac marbled hybrid spinossima.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Rotes Phänomen

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Melissa-
    My mother was planning on ordering Buttercup through DA soon. Is their stock of Buttercup all compromised? I've been stumped trying to find it anywhere else. She was going to order Buttercup and Own Root Lady Emma Hamilton, but that may go on hold now.

Jay

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Rosa Rugosa Alba----Haven't bought it, YET. Summer Snow---Same as RRA. I need to make a trip to Roses Unlimited this spring.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

the RMV that would be inevitable should I purchase direct from Austin

I'm not sure this is a fair statement. I have often ordered from Austin and am not aware of any RMV in those plants. I'm not sure why, but there is a certain group of posters who seem to be eager to undermine Austin products and create customer dissatisfaction for anything Austin. I'm not going to name names, but those of us who delight in Austin roses just simply do not have the problems that Austin-disparagers seem to.

I repeat, I've ordered many Austins directly from Austin, and my roses have not exhibited RMV.

I don't think there is reason from you to worry about them.

Kate

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I know that RMV is not what I want, but I also have to wonder if way, way more of the roses we purchase have it than we all think. Seems to me that if some one at any point in time grafted their OGR on to Doc Huey and then gave away cuttings, we have may have it already, own root OGR or not.

I would assume all of my grafted roses are likely to have it, but only ever have seen it on a leaf here and there and the one badly effected older plant in moms garden.

• User
    10 years ago

I try not to covet that which I cannot grow, but I would do most anything legal and a few things illegal to be able to grow a dark purple gallica.

Evenie, have you looked at Cardinal de Richelieu? I can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I've read that it's supposed to be part China, and therefore more tolerant of warmer climates?

I don't have any experience with it, but maybe someone can either confirm or contradict.

Either way, I say go for it before you do something that lands you in jail. :-)

...aha! I knew I'd read that somewhere. It's in the description at Rogue Valley Roses. And they have it in stock!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cardinal de Richelieu at RVR

This post was edited by bellegallica_zone9 on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 8:49

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

Tessiess/Melissa,
    I do like the sound of your want list. We need more species and species hybrids in our gardens.
    Ingrid, thanks for the encouragement. Who knows when I'll get the rose. I didn't buy any new roses at all this year (but we're gearing up for the following season).
    Melissa in Italy

• Evenie
    10 years ago

BelleGallica,

Despite the Cardinal's resistance to heat, I seriously doubt it would do here. There just isn't enough winter to keep the once-blooming European roses from declining in a few years. I have, however, been eyeing it for my mother's zone 7 garden. She's told me to slow down on sending her roses, but I'm going to fly up there in May, plant what she's got and add a few more myself. She doesn't get to have 2 acres of pristine rose-growing land complete with underground springs and only a handful of roses. I'm just not having that nonsense.

Evenie

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County