Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unbelievable! I bought roses!

Posted by sherryocala 9A Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 11:40

It's unbelievable because I don't even step outside anymore. How and when am I going to plant them? Oh, well...I'm just happy that my pulse still increases at the sight of roses.

I got Raspberry Cream Twirl, Dortmund, and Colette. They're all climbers. I got them from Brushwood Nursery, my source for clematis. They weren't even on sale either! I bought Colette once before, but it died. Then it was out of stock for a long time, so I wanted to get it while they have it. We had the tree by the driveway taken out so I have lots of sun on that side of the house now, creating all sorts of possibilities. I was thinking of putting a wire fence there for one of the pinks. Dortmund is said to be shade tolerant, so I'm going to take out Francois Juranville and put it there, hopefully giving Mary Rose more sun. FJ only blooms slightly and only once just when the thrips are attacking so... The other pink will go on a wire fence on the other side of the house. I'm excited about Colette and Raspberry Twirl because they're Meilland roses, have lots of petals, and are supposed to be disease resistant.

Maybe the need to water the little babies will get me out into the garden. Hmm. First I have to pot them. I wonder if I remember how.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unbelievable! I bought roses!

Sherry, I'm thrilled that you're venturing back in the garden and making some changes. I've seen Colette in person and I love, love that rose, it's so gorgeous. I couldn't find Rasberry Twirl or Rasberry Cream Twirl on HMF but it sounds delicious. FJ seems to want to get very large and isn't that great a bloomer so what you're planning seems like a very positive move.

Ingrid

o

Ooooh, Ingrid, I'm thrilled that you have actually seen Colette and like it. Here's the link to Raspberry Cream Twirl on HMF.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Cream Twirl

o

Good for you, Sherry, this will get you out there again! I pretty much did the same thing when DH was so ill this past spring and summer, and have been remiss on getting back out (laziness, lol?).

o

• Posted by titian1 Sydney, Australiae (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 15:00

I'm glad to hear you're planning on getting back out there, Sherry. I keep being introduced to new roses on this site. I love the look of Colette and RCT. And, once planted, you'll be able to see them without going outside. Hmmm, that may not be a good thing.........

o

• Posted by Evenie 9b - New Orleans (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 15:21

Addiction is the greatest motivator! Exercise and sunshine are critical for keeping the brain working, and now is the time to get it before the heat comes back.

o

I couldn't find RCT because I left out the p in raspberry! I can't believe how gorgeous this rose is! I wanted one immediately. I love striped roses but this has to be my favorite of them all, except for Camieux (sp?), which needs the cold and is a once-bloomer. Can't wait to see these roses blooming in your garden.

Ingrid

o

I've seen the pics of RCT and it looks beautiful. It has so much going for it - it's packed with petals, it's striped & it's a climber! What more can we ask for? Please keep us posted. Best of luck.

o

I'm glad you chose Colette, Sherry. I am enjoying mine, so maybe we can compare notes this year. Mine is only about 1 1/2 years old, but she took off like lightening and will have no trouble covering the arbor in record time. One Colette owner here on the forum said her rebloom wasn't good for him, but time will tell here. She had a tremendous spring show this year with sporadic rebloom all summer, after living through the previous nasty winter with no protection and no dieback whatsoever. I'm hoping she will do as well this year during our current arctic blast which is even worse than last year. I don't think you'll have any problem with arctic blasts, though, Sherry. Best of luck with your new roses. Here's pic of Colette from last summer. Diane

o

Oh, Diane, your Colette is so gorgeous. She looks like she has a bit of SDLM's shape in your photo. Thanks for posting it, and I'm glad she's doing so well for you.

View1ny, even though RCT was on sale I had no interest until I saw the pics on HMF. What a sucker I am for fat flowers!! And then I noticed the stripes. How cool! I don't have any of those. Have no fear, I'll keep everyone posted.

Ingrid, I thought sure you were going to say you had ordered one. Hint, hint.

Evenie, yes, we all know how motivating addiction is. My name is sherryocala, and I'm an addict.

Titian, as it turns out, these roses are not only beautiful but they also solve some longstanding problems in my garden - empty spots - which just shows that timing is everything. If we're patient, it all works out. :)) Assuming they're as healthy as claimed.

Ogrose, I wish it were merely laziness (this time) that was keeping me inside. You know what it's like to be your DH's arms and legs and hands and feet. It's especially exasperating when I finally get sat down to watch a movie or just lean back and the phone rings!!! I've taken a few solicitor's heads off! Patience is at a bare minimum. I should just carry the idiot phone in my pocket!! But I refuse.

By way of update DH was doing quite well until we awoke on Nov 20th to find his left leg twice the size of his right. He had a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) which put him in the hospital for eight days. He came home on Thanksgiving Day, and as always (this is about the 4th time), that many days in bed set him way back. By now I know it's only a matter of time until he springs back (8 days this time) but those days are awful. He could hardly stand, his sense of vertical was totally messed up again (leaning backwards about 20 degrees was his upright), and mentally he would argue with everything I said as if it were a totally new thing. I had enough energy to give him step by step instructions every time but not enough energy to debate them while holding his 200 lbs up by his gait belt. Not my finest hour, but Saturday morning he woke up stronger, and the "setback" days seem to be behind us. Today was his first PT in about 20 days, so hopefully we're back on track with three more pills added to the arsenal. They discovered low thyroid this time so now with medication his appetite is back to normal. We joke that he's had EVERYTHING, but we're not going to joke that way anymore what with the medical books full of unheard of maladies. Don't want to tempt that one again.

Thanks, my friends, for listening. Oh, does anyone grow Cloud 10, a white climber by Radler? I almost got it but switched to RCT.

Sherry

o

• Posted by titian1 Sydney, Australiae (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 23:56

Sherry, more strength to your elbow! Or is that a saying you don't have in the US? If not, google it!

o

Thank you, Titian. Here we just say, more power to you, but I guess I never completely understood the meaning until just now. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Sherry

o

Ho, Sherry, your fortitude is immense and your bravery inspiring. Nothing is worse than watching someone we love having to suffer. Sounds like a little rose shaped chink in the stormclouds have just let a bit of light through - be extravagant - gardens exist in the moment and in future potential - growing a plant is an act of faith.

o

Sherry, Love, hope and prayers are coming your way.

o

To me the act of buying a new rose is an affirmation of hope and an expectation of joy. So I am very happy that you have bought these roses. I've had Colette for years. She is a trooper. My Dortmund is quite shade tolerant and always healthy.

o

Sherry- I'm so glad you purchased new roses! It shows that you believe things will get better and you have faith that you will be in the garden again :)

I've been going through something similar with my husband. That's why I don't have any current photos...no time and too many weeds, but I think it will be much better next year.

He started feeling bad May 2012 and just kept feeling worse. We went to the doctor several times (new doctor now) and in August 2012, my husband couldn't get out of bed and I had to call an ambulance. He was in the hospital and nursing homes for 10 1/2 months...and he's in his 40s. It turns out he got some 'mystery' virus that caused some strange form of neuropathy. He's getting better and went from having to be lifted out of bed last year...to walking with a walker and starting to use a cane, this month.

Anyway, light at the end of the tunnel! I hope your husband is getting much better, too...and you and I are both enjoying our gardens with our husbands, this spring! My birthday was on the 5th of December...and my husband told me to order two roses from Northland Rosarium...because he knew he would be able to help me plant them :)

Here's a few pictures....Bonny and Rhapsody in Blue.

From Lavender's Garden

From Lavender's Garden

o

Sherry and Lavender Lass, I feel for both of you - you're showing a lot of fortitude. Good wishes come your way for better days. I'm glad you're enjoying your roses. Lou

o

Lavender Lass I'm so sorry. I'm glad your husband is recovering now.

o

Lou and Mendocino- Thank you! He's getting much better...I hope Sherry's husband is feeling much better for the holidays :)

o

lavenderlass, I'm really sorry for everything you've been through. A bad time for both you and Sherry, that's for certain. With me it's my brother, who has had three strokes since January, blood clots in both legs and many in his lungs, is permanently paralyzed on his right side, and just lately had a seizure, followed by aspiration pneumonia in the ER and then a bowel infection. He will be in the hospital for the next 25 days. There's hardly anyone who isn't touched by illness and the sadness that comes with it in some way. I'm so glad that I have the garden and nature around me to give me comfort, but of course it's my brave and wonderful sister-in-law who bears the burden of it all.

Ingrid

o

Lavender Lass, your post touched me so much when I read it this afternoon that I got up and asked DH if he wanted to go for a "walk" on his mobility scooter. Don't know why I felt the urge to do that. It was a first, but we had a nice time together in our quiet neighborhood, feeling the sun and the breeze. I'm so glad your husband is finally improving, and how sweet of him to have you order the roses, a good sign of his hopefulness. I feel like we're comrades who have been through the same battle even though yours began a whole year before ours did. I can't imagine 10-1/2 months in hospital and nursing home - for him or for you. Again, I'm so happy for his improvement for both of you.

I had so many nurses, aides, etc. say to us that I was an exceptional wife. Apparently, many don't even visit which is astonishing. Abandonment must really be an issue or so many wouldn't have mentioned it. So you and I and Ingrid's SIL are exceptional! But I think sometimes my intense desire for him to get better is almost more than he can stand. :)

Ingrid, I'm sorry your brother has gone through so much. It's amazing how the human body can be so strong sometimes and when damaged, so fragile and weak. I'll be praying for Lavender Lass' husband and for your brother, Ingrid.

Thank you again, Suzy, Jeannie, Pam, and Lou. And special thanks to Lavender and Ingrid. You are all such blessings to me.

Sherry

o

Thank you, Sherry, your good wishes and prayers are much appreciated. How sad that many people in nursing homes are left so alone. Since January my sister-in-law has barely been away from my brother's side, no matter where he's been, and I'm sure your husband has been equally fortunate. I salute both of you ladies, and lavenderlass.

Ingrid

o

Same boat here, Sherry. DH is trying to recover from two recent heart surgeries, and I'm not comfortable leaving him alone for very long. BUT, I did find time to buy three Julia Childs and Souvenir de la Malmaison all on Fort. I hope Julia does as well for me as she has for others. I hope you enjoy your purchases as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here