Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Showcase your Warm Pinks?

Posted by desertgarden561 9/SZ11 -Las Vegas, N (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 12:00

I would suspect that there are many like me, who unfortunately purchase roses based upon images seen on-line; which can vary tremendously. For example, I have seen Bishop's Castle on-line appearing soft cerise pink, to rose pink and almost hot pink. Accuracy of rose descriptions become key.

Of your roses, which would be described as a "warm pink"? Please share images, as they create a little spark of joy and can incite anticipation for those in the doldrums or busy time of the rose gardening season.

Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Showcase your Warm Pinks?

My first one here undoubtedly qualifies as "warm pink" since it is, in fact, a most decided "hot pink"!

Peter Mayle (HT)
Peter Mayle (HT-foreground), Elina (Grandiflora-background) 2012 photo peterelina.jpg

Pretty Jessica (Austin)--is this "warm" pink? or "cool"? I'm not sure where the dividing line is.
Pretty Jessica (Austin)--spring '12 photo jessica2-4-25-12.jpg

Earth Song (grandiflora)--I'm sure this qualifies as "warm" pink.
Earth Song (Grandiflora) right foreground, Molineux (David Austin rose) center background, lgt blue iris, left, 2012 photo backgardenapr2012.jpg

Jubilee Celebration (Austin shrub)--Is this "warm" pink? Maybe it should be in the other thread?
Jubilee Celebration 6-19-06 photo jubileecelebration.jpg

That's about it for my garden. Many more pastel pinks than "warm" ones.

Kate

o

Kate,

Beautiful roses.

The hue or tint of pink is derived from red and other colors like white or even a soft blue. Red is a primary color and some are blue-reds, whereas others are orangey reds depending where they are on the color wheel. The pinks that are derived from blue reds can definitely create cooler pinks and pinks that are berry in color are often cool pinks. Many of the pastel pinks that I have seen could be classified as warm pinks. Salmon pinks also tend to be warm pinks. That is all that I can think of that I know at the moment. I know that others in this forum are more astute regarding colors etc. and maybe they will chime in.

Lynn

o

Lynn, now that I have read more closely your definition of "warm pinks," I think most of my pics above should probably be classified as "cool pinks." To me, they have a touch of blue in them--even, paradoxically, that loud HOT pink Peter Mayle has a hint of blue, not orange or apricot. So in that case, hot pink would seem to be cool pink--I guess. : )

Jubilee Celebration (Austin) shown above is definitely a salmon pink and therefore belongs in this "warm pink" category.

Kate

o

Oh Kate, It is extremely confusing to me, as the vast majority of the roses posted on-line I have yet to see in person, so I do not know how they "really" appear. Also, appearances vary from garden to garden and season to season. I can only go back to basic color theory and if something screams blue base or has lavender it is cool, or is a salmony-pink it is warm for example. I get lost with many of the others. For example, I have seen SDLM and Belinda's Dream both referred to as warm and cool, is it both, looking different depending upon the garden, or inaccurately described????? I have seen both of these roses in person and would have described SDLM as warm for sure.....as it goes from soft pink to an off-white/cream, but not to a stark or cool white..... From what I have seen of Marie Pavie online, it looks to go from a pink to white, which could be more indicative of a cool pink. ????????

Lynn

o

The only actual OGR I have that I would say is consistently a "warm" pink would be Madame Lombard. Her blooms vary greatly, but usually have some salmon shading:

photo zzzmml1031c_zpsde67532e.jpg

photo zzzmml0917c_zpsab2611ef.jpg

I'm going to include pics of Felicia and Gruss an Aachen even though they aren't technically OGRs. I would call them warm pinks, as well.

Felicia's bloom color is very weather dependent. Can be more pink, white or salmon depending on the heat. Here she is with a bit of each color:

photo zzzfelicia1004_zps775f8601.jpg

Gruss an Aachen is everchanging, but always beautiful. Sometimes blooms are near white with only a blush of pink and would probably be considered a cool pink, but most of the time there is some salmon present. In the below pics, Grussie's looking very warm to me:

photo zzzgrussie0915_zps74865419.jpg

photo zzzgrussie0920f_zps06ae00e7.jpg

photo zzzgrussie0805b_zpseae690e1.jpg

This post was edited by pat_bamaZ7 on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 16:12

o

Warm or cool, the roses are all gorgeous. I especially like Jubilee Celebration, Earth Song and Pretty Jessica. Earth Song has been a complete dud for me, refuses to grow or bloom, has black spot and cost $40!. It seems to flourish for everyone else!

Ingrid

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 17:19

Just two warm pinks for me.

Mutabilis
Mutabilis photo mut2013_07210014_zpsc7e86cf3.jpg

Rose de Rescht
Rose de Rescht photo rdr2013_06060040_zpsa737a118.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here