Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Showcase your Warm Pinks?

I would suspect that there are many like me, who unfortunately purchase roses based upon images seen on-line; which can vary tremendously. For example, I have seen Bishop's Castle on-line appearing soft cerise pink, to rose pink and almost hot pink. Accuracy of rose descriptions become key.

Of your roses, which would be described as a "warm pink"? Please share images, as they create a little spark of joy and can incite anticipation for those in the doldrums or busy time of the rose gardening season.

Lynn

Comments (7)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

My first one here undoubtedly qualifies as "warm pink" since it is, in fact, a most decided "hot pink"!

Peter Mayle (HT)
    {{gwi:240466}}

Pretty Jessica (Austin)--is this "warm" pink? or "cool"? I'm not sure where the dividing line is.
    {{gwi:207541}}

Earth Song (grandiflora)--I'm sure this qualifies as "warm" pink.
    {{gwi:259578}}

Jubilee Celebration (Austin shrub)--Is this "warm" pink? Maybe it should be in the other thread?
    {{gwi:224122}}

That's about it for my garden. Many more pastel pinks than "warm" ones.

Kate

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate,

Beautiful roses.

The hue or tint of pink is derived from red and other colors like white or even a soft blue. Red is a primary color and some are blue-reds, whereas others are orangey reds depending where they are on the color wheel. The pinks that are derived from blue reds can definitely create cooler pinks and pinks that are berry in color are often cool pinks. Many of the pastel pinks that I have seen could be classified as warm pinks. Salmon pinks also tend to be warm pinks. That is all that I can think of that I know at the moment. I know that others in this forum are more astute regarding colors etc. and maybe they will chime in.

Lynn

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Lynn, now that I have read more closely your definition of "warm pinks," I think most of my pics above should probably be classified as "cool pinks." To me, they have a touch of blue in them--even, paradoxically, that loud HOT pink Peter Mayle has a hint of blue, not orange or apricot. So in that case, hot pink would seem to be cool pink--I guess. : )

Jubilee Celebration (Austin) shown above is definitely a salmon pink and therefore belongs in this "warm pink" category.

Kate

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Kate, It is extremely confusing to me, as the vast majority of the roses posted on-line I have yet to see in person, so I do not know how they "really" appear. Also, appearances vary from garden to garden and season to season. I can only go back to basic color theory and if something screams blue base or has lavender it is cool, or is a salmony-pink it is warm for example. I get lost with many of the others. For example, I have seen SDLM and Belinda's Dream both referred to as warm and cool, is it both, looking different depending upon the garden, or inaccurately described????? I have seen both of these roses in person and would have described SDLM as warm for sure.....as it goes from soft pink to an off-white/cream, but not to a stark or cool white..... From what I have seen of Marie Pavie online, it looks to go from a pink to white, which could be more indicative of a cool pink. ????????

Lynn

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

The only actual OGR I have that I would say is consistently a "warm" pink would be Madame Lombard. Her blooms vary greatly, but usually have some salmon shading:

{{gwi:328442}}

{{gwi:328517}}

I'm going to include pics of Felicia and Gruss an Aachen even though they aren't technically OGRs. I would call them warm pinks, as well.

Felicia's bloom color is very weather dependent. Can be more pink, white or salmon depending on the heat. Here she is with a bit of each color:

{{gwi:328518}}

Gruss an Aachen is everchanging, but always beautiful. Sometimes blooms are near white with only a blush of pink and would probably be considered a cool pink, but most of the time there is some salmon present. In the below pics, Grussie's looking very warm to me:

{{gwi:328520}}

{{gwi:328522}}

{{gwi:328523}}

This post was edited by pat_bamaZ7 on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 16:12

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Warm or cool, the roses are all gorgeous. I especially like Jubilee Celebration, Earth Song and Pretty Jessica. Earth Song has been a complete dud for me, refuses to grow or bloom, has black spot and cost $40!. It seems to flourish for everyone else!

Ingrid

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Just two warm pinks for me.

Mutabilis
    {{gwi:328525}}

Rose de Rescht
    {{gwi:308794}}

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths