Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Would This Be a Fun Thing For All of Us to Do?

Since this time of the year is typically a bit slower and there is less work in the garden, especially for those of you in the colder areas, I wondered if it might be enjoyable for all of us to post our best garden pictures, regardless of which year they were taken. We could each pick four or five pictures from our files that show our gardens in peak condition and thus provide a visual feast for everyone to enjoy. For those of you who might not have garden pictures it would be equally enjoyable to see the most beautiful pictures you have of individual roses.

I don't want to be the one to begin, especially since many of you know my garden backwards and forwards by now. I hope someone (or many someones) will start the ball rolling. It would be a pleasure to see blooming gardens at a time of year when some of us (me) don't exactly have a visual feast out there.

Ingrid

Comments (114)

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There've been some great additions since I last posted! I meant to ask, what is that second rose you posted, Alana? It's lovely.

Terrific photos Julianna! I love the Roxburghii and Mlle. Franziska Kruger.

Here are some photos that primarily come from late summer and fall. I tried to avoid using pics I posted in previous photo dumping threads, but there may be some overlap. Things are still pretty immature here and at my parents' garden so there aren't many garden scenes in comparison to bloom and plant shots.

Sydonie

{{gwi:2121622}}

Rosette Delizy

{{gwi:2121623}}

Jeri Jennings - Showing very yellow.

{{gwi:2121624}}

Treasure Trail

{{gwi:2121625}}

Neptune King Terazza - A patio rose my mom found at Home Depot. It's quite pretty and healthy so far, though a little prone to balling in rainy weather.

{{gwi:2121626}}

Jupiter King Terazza - Another patio rose from the same line.

{{gwi:2121627}}

Gilbert Nabonnand

{{gwi:2121628}}

Souvenir d'Elise Vardon -A bug had eaten some of the outer petal, but there was nice form and color variation.

{{gwi:2121629}}

Mme. Berard - First Bloom.

{{gwi:2121630}}

General Schablikine - I've found it tough to take a picture that really shows the contrast between the reddish outer petals and the subtly copper-toned dark to light pink inner petals. A pretty and very vigorous rose nonetheless.

{{gwi:2121631}}

Pam's Choice

{{gwi:2121632}}

Pink Pet/Caldwell Pink with Dianthus

{{gwi:2121633}}

Winchester Cathedral

{{gwi:2121634}}

Sunshine

{{gwi:340650}}

Betty White

{{gwi:2121635}}

And as far as non-roses:

Isoplexis canariensis

{{gwi:2121636}}

Stapelia in a Succulent Pot

{{gwi:2121637}}

Succulent Container with Agave sisalana variegata, a ruffled Echeveria hybrid, Kalanchoe hybrid, and a Graptoveria hybrid.

{{gwi:2121638}}

Very early Magnolia blooms.

{{gwi:2121639}}

Iochroma

{{gwi:2121640}}

Deppea splendens

{{gwi:2121641}}

{{gwi:2121642}}

Tiered Succulent Hanging Basket Holder - I know I posted this before, but I haven't taken a more recent picture since it was positioned differently.

{{gwi:2121643}}

Succulent Container with three Echeveria setosa var. minor and a cultivar of Agave victoriae-reginae.

{{gwi:2121644}}

Reblooming Bearded Iris with matching pansies behind.

{{gwi:2121645}}

Another reblooming Bearded Iris.

{{gwi:2121646}}

'Tiger Eye' Abutilon

{{gwi:2121647}}

Euphorbia flanaganii cristata

{{gwi:2121648}}

'Debutante' Camellia

{{gwi:2121649}}

Unknown red Camellia at my parent's with Duranta behind.

{{gwi:2121657}}

'Halloween' Pansy

{{gwi:2121658}}

And of course, my kitty Buttercup.

{{gwi:2121659}}

Hope you all like them!

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 20:46

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone. How wonderful to see all this garden beauty on a cold rainy December day.
    Here are a few from my garden.
    {{gwi:2121660}}

{{gwi:276938}}

{{gwi:269948}}

{{gwi:2121661}}

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone. How wonderful to see all this garden beauty on a cold rainy December day.
    Here are a few from my garden.
    {{gwi:2121660}}

{{gwi:276938}}

{{gwi:269948}}

{{gwi:2121661}}

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

Hey Sydonie, if I remember correctly it's Madame Antoine Marie. It got that beautiful bud before we got real cold and I went outside so I would have a picture! Thanks for asking!

• chloeasha
    9 years ago

Jay-- very lovely! I am partial to the cat, Sunshine, and your succulents. I have a small stapeliad collection myself amongst others.

Mendocino-- just gorgeous!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How wonderful to see all the new additions this morning!

Julianna, what you accomplished in one year is mind boggling. You are obviously a natural gardener to create something so lovely in such a short time.

I have to say Buttercup stole my heart, that's a really sweet photo. Jay, you have such a fascinating range of plants. I also have reblooming irises and consider them a wonderful companion plant to roses.

Thomas a Becket is a stunning rose, Marlorena, and I don't recall anyone else ever mentioning it here. That color is one of my absolute favorites.

Pam, your garden is a wondrous thing, quite unique by anyone's standards, and I imagine after all this rain it will be even more stunning next spring.

Ingrid

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I have grown to love the Stapeliads, Juliana! I have a few Huernia and a couple of Stapelias. I just can't get enough of them! I'd love to try a Hoodia, Orbea, and many other species I haven't been able to find in person yet. There are some interesting intergeneric hybrids too. I'm probably most into Agave, Aloe, and Echeveria, but just about everything has grown on me within the succulent world this year.

I'm glad you like Buttercup, Ingrid! She's been with me for about a week short of a year now and I still can't believe she doesn't fit in the palm of my hand anymore. She's a very friendly, playful cat although I have not once heard her purr.

Thanks Alana! My mom added Madame Antoine Mari this year, but it has yet to bloom. I'll be happy if it's half as beautiful as your photo in person.

And really lovely photos, mendocino rose. Your garden looks so inviting!

Jay

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Ingrid - it's fast becoming my favourite rose... I've even registered on HMF just to put something about it...

mendocino rose - stunning...
    I'd love to know what that red is in the 3rd photo down...I can't make out if it's a clematis or rose... whatever it is I'd like some of it...

• chloeasha
    9 years ago

Ingrid-- thank you!

Jay-- I am right with you there in loving all of those! I also always enjoyed a certain amount of succulents and rose mixing and did that at every garden, always with good results.

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Marlorena the red is a simple Floribunda called Frenshem. It looks good because it has been planted en masse in that one bed.

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

All these are beautiful. My garden is on a gentle slope. I used to garden in the vacant lot next to our house, but the owner asked me to vacate it as my roses were looking too permanent. So I moved my garden to the South side of my house. I didn't like that side because there were few trees and there was no privacy. Now the trees I planted are all big and the hedges provide plenty of privacy. My roses tend to be crowded and can look wild.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

mendocino rose - thank you... I wouldn't have guessed that, but I grew Frensham many years ago and always loved that dark red floribunda.... seeing yours I'm tempted to go for it once again... it's a real standout...

Original Author
    9 years ago

erasmus, "crowded and wild" in your garden is a vision of paradise. It's simply stunning. The only disappointment is that you've treated us to only one view.......

Ingrid

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you , Ingrid. I'll post another picture or more but don't know how to put them all in one post. Here's Crepuscule with Pat Austin in the foreground:

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

Here's a bed with Wenlock, Mary Rose, Heritage about to bloom:

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

This is my front yard which is in part shade. The Crepuscule growing next to my front door is in a large pot and is crowded by English ivy. It made its way up through a gap between the brick and the metal thing above my door and cascaded down. I like not having to plan everything out.

Original Author
    9 years ago

erasmus, your garden is simply amazing. The abundance of roses is astonishing to me when compared to my efforts in this arid landscape. Your use of climbing roses gives your garden an added dimension that nothing else can really equal, and I love how the softness of the plantings in the front accents your beautiful house. I hope we'll see more photos from you in the future; there's so much worth showing.

Ingrid

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

I just wanted to say thanks again everyone for sharing your gardens. Now please do so more often.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

More beautiful photos: thank you to all for sharing them.

Good Southern California garden variety there, Jay. I have Aloes and Agaves on the dry slopes and the roses where the soil stays relatively moist. When the roses are cut back is exactly when the Aloes are in peak bloom, so result is that there is something to look at besides bare rose stems in January/February.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

Ingrid - what a terrific idea you had to start this. It is always so much fun seeing others' garden photos. Lovely, everyone!
    Here are a few from my previous home where I gardened for 25 years:

{{gwi:2121662}}

{{gwi:2121663}}

And the garden still very much a work of love in progress at my new home:
    {{gwi:2121664}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

annececilia, your pictures are stunning. Your small garden is already a little jewel and I hope we'll see more pictures as it comes along.

I'm thrilled by the number of responses and want to thank everyone for the great viewing pleasure. Sharing your garden is like sharing a bit of yourself and I think it draws us closer to each other here when we show the results of our labor of love.

Ingrid

• rross
    9 years ago

This was my very dry garden last winter. I'm new to in-ground gardening so I was pleased to have coaxed so many flowers out of hard, clay soil. It looks completely different now it's full summer and even more parched.

• rross
    9 years ago

The same garden in summer. Just dots of colour on drought loving plants.

Original Author
    9 years ago

rross, your summer garden looks much better than mine did in the height of summer, and in fact I think it still looks quite lovely. I had to avert my eyes and really only went outside after dusk when all I could basically see was shapes of bushes.

Ingrid

• rross
    9 years ago

Thanks Ingrid. I'm trying to enjoy whatever colour I can coax out of it now. By February, it'll be ratty and fried! In general, I treat winter as the big flowering season and summer as the more dormant season so this thread is still timely for the Southern Hemisphere. Thanks for starting it.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Lovely additions rross, Erasmus, and annececilia!

Thanks hoovb! I have yet to see them bloom, but I'm excited about several Aloe tomentosa and A. wickensii that I have in my front yard. I have a few smaller 'Blue Glow' Agaves in that area along with Tagetes lemonii, Salvia 'Winifred Gilman,' Lecuadendron 'Jester,' Correa 'Wyn's Wonder,' and a small Phylica pubescens.

I really love being able to grow so many types of sub-tropical and tropical plants here like Iochroma, Deppea, Brugmansia, species Fuchsias, Cantua, Cuphea, and others, but I'm finding more and more to like that's a bit less thirsty.

Jay

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

I keep coming back to this thread, to enjoy everybody's photos again and again. So many gorgeous gardens.
    rross, is that patch of deep purple at the back of your winter photo, clarkia?
    I forget which photos I have already posted in previous threads, so forgive me if you have already seen them.

{{gwi:2121665}}

{{gwi:2121666}}

{{gwi:2121667}}

{{gwi:2121668}}

{{gwi:2121669}}

{{gwi:2121670}}

{{gwi:2121671}}

{{gwi:2119730}}

{{gwi:2121672}}

{{gwi:2121673}}

{{gwi:2121674}}

{{gwi:2121675}}

{{gwi:216119}}

{{gwi:230190}}

{{gwi:2121676}}

{{gwi:2121677}}

{{gwi:2121678}}

{{gwi:2121679}}

{{gwi:2121680}}

{{gwi:2121681}}

{{gwi:2121682}}

{{gwi:2121683}}

{{gwi:2121684}}

{{gwi:2121685}}

{{gwi:2121686}}

{{gwi:2121687}}

{{gwi:2121688}}

{{gwi:2121689}}

{{gwi:230202}}

{{gwi:2121690}}

{{gwi:2121691}}

{{gwi:2121692}}

{{gwi:2121693}}

{{gwi:2121694}}

Sorry, I got a bit carried away.
    Daisy

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

Wow, everyone's pictures are great. You can see a LOT of work has gone into these gardens, thank you so much!

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..just fantastic Daisy....

..I think we should all go visit...lol...

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

OMG, everyone's garden is so beautiful! How could I have miss this thread for so long. What a wonderful holiday cheer. Thank you for posting.

• chloeasha
    9 years ago

Oh everyone's gardens look great-- new and old!

Daisy: Just lovely. Someday I would love to know what the actual outline and size of your garden is. I have a feeling that you've masterfully arranged the paths so as to make things seem larger.

• cath41
    9 years ago

Ohhh, Daisy! I believe you have not repeated a single one. I am guessing that I cannot grow it here but what is the pink flowered plant that is silhouetted against the mountain?

Cath

Original Author
    9 years ago

Daisy, your garden always leaves me speechless. I clearly remember when all this was just a field with some native vegetation, and what you and your husband have accomplished not only in terms of plantings but also in putting in all the hardscape, with the pool and walls and walkways in just a few short years is almost unbelievable. This is a very happy garden, one that would be wonderful to visit.

Ingrid

• chloeasha
    9 years ago

Cath-- it looks to me like Bignoniaceae, but there are so many similar ones. That group has beautiful vines like Pandorea jasminoides or Podranea ricasoliana which it resembles to me (the latter).

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    9 years ago

Just GAWJUSS, everyone. I am so envious of those of you like Pam and Daisy who are so artistically endowed. I, unfortunately, am just a plonker and must rely on the beauty of the roses to make up for my lack.

• jujigirl
    9 years ago

I'm still going through all these - so gorgeous and inspriting!! rocksnroses, what's the second one down? the red with the white edges? it's breathtaking!!

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Daisy, your pics (and your garden) are pure gold!

:-)

~Christopher

• rross
    9 years ago

Hi Jay. Yes, that purple flower at the back of my winter flower photo is clarkia. I've generally had good luck with American and African flowers. I assume clarkia is a desert flower because it does well for me. Roses are surprisingly drought tolerant for me as well.

• ROCKSnROSES
    9 years ago

Jujigirl, the rose is Baron Giraud de l'Ain.....I love it.

So many gorgeous gardens and plants.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

Cath, Julianna is right. The pink flowered climber, against the Mediterranean Sea is Podranea ricasoliana. It is growing through a quince tree which is on village land next to my garden. I cheated by planting it there. I have never watered it, but it gets the run off from the pots on the patio.
    Daisy

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I don't often take photos of the garden. I usually take portraits of individual blooms instead. The garden as a whole isn't particularly pretty most of the time. Here are a few that aren't too bad.

This is the front bed with all the bulbs in bloom in May
    {{gwi:2121695}}

Then the triangle bed on the walk to the patio with all the peonies and poppies later in May
    {{gwi:2121696}}

Next in June all the columbines bloom
    {{gwi:2121697}}

And then the walk in August with the dahlias blooming
    {{gwi:2121698}}

This is the best rose garden picture I ever had. It was taken in 2006 right after we built the bed and it was the perfect year some how for the roses. It's never looked like this since then!

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    9 years ago

I don't have a lot of wide shots, so I'll just share a few I have on my iPad, mine is a fledgling garden, but I do love it so and I am so inspired by all your photos! So much whimsy and love apparent in everyone's efforts!

Hostas and foxgloves:

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    9 years ago

Good old Abe Darby, second year :

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    9 years ago

And my favorite dahlia of the year, Nonette :

• User
    7 years ago

You had a beautiful garden there, those are all wonderful... I hope you can repeat the effect wherever you are now..

• KarenPA_6b
    7 years ago

What a lovely and cozy garden you have, A_Church. Your garden looks so neat and plants look under control and well kept. Do you do alot of pruning?

• A_ Church_Florida Z9
    7 years ago

Thank you, Marloreana. I'm working on the garden in my new (to me) house now. I purposely bought a place with a tiny yard so I wouldn't overextend myself (the summer heat here means the garden often gets out of hand until fall), but I suspect I'll be encroaching on my neighbors soon. Or turn my driveway into a new pot ghetto.

Karen, I moved into that house to be a caregiver to my parents, who both had cancer, so the garden was my therapy. Every time I'd sit down to enjoy it, I'd see something that needed doing, so yes, I spent a lot of time pruning, deadheading, and weeding, but I'm happiest when my hands are dirty.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

Daisy, your photos are just beautiful. I don't see you post now. I do hope you are up and about again.

I would come to Crete just to see your garden.

Trish

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    7 years ago

I love Daisy's garden too; hers and Hoovb's- both have vaguely similar climates to deal with, so I can imagine that if I had the conscientiousness and talent, I might wind up with something as beautiful. And who isn't a sucker for fishponds?:) Its nice to have dreams heheh. That and its winter here!

Otherwise , like Seil, its just detail pics of roses in pot gardens whilst I avert my eyes from the not so good bits :) Your bed pics look great !

the only quality garden real estate (apart from odd strips of rather shady areas that end up with bulbs and nasturtiums) I can devote to my own stuff are taken by herbs and vegies.