Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Showcase your Cool Pinks

Of your roses, which would be described as a "cool pink"? If you have them and would not mind, please share images.

Lynn

Comments (26)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I have some "cool pinks," but my camera, for some reason, always infuses them with a bit more pink than they have in real life, so you will have to imagine these as more pastel than the picture shows.

Mystic Beauty (Bourbon)--ranks first in the cool pink category!
    {{gwi:313308}}

Scepter'd Isle (Austin)--very pastel looking in real life!
    {{gwi:217621}}

Wedgwood climber (Austin)--hasn't bloomed too much yet, but appears to be planning on pastel blooms.
    {{gwi:217624}}

Mortimer Sackler (Austin)--Is this a cool pink? I consider it closer to a medium pink, but I guess it is more "cool" rather than "warm."
    {{gwi:237753}}

Eden Climber--
    {{gwi:328591}}

Anne Boleyn (Austin shrub)--delicate pastel flower, but short-lived unfortunately.
    {{gwi:207547}}

Queen of Sweden (Austin)--this one puts on quite a show. Has a touch of apricot in the center.
    {{gwi:218931}}

A bunch of "cool pink" roses: Mortimer Sackler in the back, Austin's Mayflower on the left (it may be more "warm"), with "cool" Our Lady of Guadalupe floribunda on the right. That is a gorgeous Cora Stubbs peony in the middle.
    {{gwi:328592}}

I have a couple other modern "cool pinks," but have kept this mostly to the Austins and OGRs for this forum.

Kate

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My favorite cool pink (to me at least) is Belinda's Dream.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Kate, your cool pinks are stunning. The delicacy and abundance of those shell pink Queen of Sweden blooms are most impressive to me. I agree Mystic Beauty is gorgeous with its many petals shading darker toward the center of the bloom. All of these roses are just exquisite. Thanks for posting them.
    I have a few cool pinks to share, too. I wish I had more full shrub shots to share. The first is Eglantyne. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here is another cool pink from my garden, Brother Cadfael. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

And of course, Frederic Mistral. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I love Ballerina, a hybrid musk, but my best photos of it have files too large for Garden Web. So, I'll try this one. Diane

Tried it--too large. So, here's a photo of Sister's Fairytale, not an antique, but kind of has that look. Diane

• lynnette
    10 years ago

An old climber called Blairii No.1 is a what I call a cool pink.

• lynnette
    10 years ago

The old climbing sport from New Dawn, Awakening stays a nice shell pink. Pale coloured roses often start out a medium shade and then finally go to a paler one. That makes a photo hard to tell the exact colour.

• lynnette
    10 years ago

Weetwood starts out white with a pink center and then finally goes to a pale pink. Another example of different shades in a rose colour.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Oh, I love all these pastel pinks--such exquisite shades!

Kate

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Here is Belle Portugaise (hybrid gigantea, 1901).

Jackie

• User
    10 years ago

You wheel that out every year or so, just to get us grinding our teeth with envy, don't ya, Jacqueline. Obviously, it has worked since mine are sitting next to me by the keyboard (whilst I have a little tooth holiday).

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Just one gorgeous picture after another. I was just asking my roses why THEY can't look like that! Diane, you have such a lush-looking garden with roses bursting into bloom on each bush. Your soil must really be in great shape.

Ingrid

• Evenie
    10 years ago

Mine have never been that nice either. They were always sun-bleached, bug-chewed, rained-on and growing completely out-of-bounds, if they weren't spotted one-cane-wonders. I will keep dreaming and trying. Even a blind pig finds an acorn sometimes.

This post was edited by Evenie on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 17:00

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

All of these cool pinks are just gorgeous!

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow!!! you all have such gorgeous, healthy roses.

Diane, you always seem to introduce a rose I have never heard of, thank you. Sister's Fairytale is very pretty.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 18:18

Original Author
    10 years ago

LynettePNW,

Your Blairii No.1 is stunning! I love the petals. That rose just looks like it would be fragrant.

Lynn

Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops,

Server error and accidental duplicate post.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 18:16

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Ingrid, your roses are beautiful and I love all the glimpses you've shared of your garden. Remember, we are all showing you the best shots of our roses, not the throwaway photos, of which I have had many. I think I should keep a few of those to show every now and then for a reality dose. My soil is not good--it was unbroken desert when we first moved here, nasty stuff full of rocks, grit, clay (which is good, I guess). I still have to go through every bit of it I dig from planting holes, removing various crud. Then I add some bagged garden soil and mix it all in. It takes forever to plant a rose around here.

Lynn, Sisters Fairytale is one of the Fairy Tale series from Kordes. It's also known as Home and Garden in Europe. I think it's one of the less popular of the series. I can't recommend it to those of us with alkaline soil. It's rootstock is multiflora, and though I've had little problem with other roses on this rootstock, this rose has the most awful growth habit of shooting out monster stiff spider leg canes every September, rather than blooming. Awful.

Lynette,
    All your roses are scrumptious looking, so full of petals and soft color. I love them.

Beautiful photos, everyone. Diane

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I think most of my OGRs are cool pinks with the exception of Reine des Violettes which is really more purple than pink.

My new baby Archduke Charles
    {{gwi:323385}}

My still undetermined if it really is Duchesse de Brabant
    {{gwi:323943}}

Striped but still a cool pink Honorine de Brabant
    {{gwi:328593}}

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I think these would all be considered cool pinks:

Mrs B R Cant

{{gwi:328594}}

Marchesa Boccella

{{gwi:328595}}

Natchitoches Noisette

{{gwi:328596}}

Duchesse de Brabant

{{gwi:328597}}

Paul Neyron

{{gwi:328598}}

SDLM

{{gwi:328599}}

Spice

{{gwi:328600}}

Rose de Rescht

{{gwi:328601}}

Clotilde Soupert

{{gwi:328602}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

pat_bamaz7.....Are you kidding me!! I see roses on this site and they are gorgeous, but I am just blown away....one after the other...... I have a Clotilde that is new to my garden this year. If only.... I can hope that my flowers are half as lovely as yours, I would be a happy lady. My gosh!!!

Actually, the beautiful roses on this thread are amazing!!.... It is December 10th and I cannot wait for Spring....

Lynn

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Thanks Lynn
    My Clotilde was new this year, too, but I got her as a 1 gallon rather than a band in early summer. She's grown like a weed, and blooms have gotten bigger and better with each flush. I think you will love her!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Diane, after reading your description of your soil I'm even more in awe of your beautiful roses. It takes lots of determination and hard work to create something so lovely given what you have, and I honestly don't know if I could do it.

Every single picture here is awesome; I'm loving this thread.

Ingrid

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

Baronne Henriette de Snoy

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Lynette, that Blairii no. 1 is just gorgeous - to have those lovely flowers on a climber is a real bonus. Where did you get it, and does it rebloom well for you?

Seil, your photo of Honorine de Brabant did it - I'm giving that rose its third (or is it fourth) try in my yard. I simply must have that rose - is yours grafted or own root? Your Archduke Charles gives me hope that chinas can survive my yard. Has it made it through a "real" winter for you yet?

Pat Bama, gorgeous pictures all, and I need to show your picture of Marchesa Boccella to my bush and see if she shapes up and blooms like that. It's at least four years old, so I should be seeing some progress, though it's in part shade.

I agree that most of my OGRs are on the cool side of pink. Here's my dearly loved Madame Isaac Periere showing off this spring, and she was too big to fit into a closeup and still see the blooms. And oh, the scent - even I can smell it!

{{gwi:275764}}

Reine des Violettes is definitely a cool pink shading to mauve, though the photo is a little washed out here.

{{gwi:275765}}

I'd put Maman Cochet on the cool side of pink.

{{gwi:328603}}

Madame Antoine Mari is definitely a cool pink, particularly the dark under sides of the blooms.

{{gwi:294675}}

Georgetown Tea is a cool pink in my yard.

{{gwi:294677}}

Mrs. B.R. Cant is also a cool pink - looks like the teas that have been willing to survive in a COLD zone 5 are a COOL pink...

{{gwi:304944}}

Cynthia