Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Question About Sir Edward Elgar - Austin Rose

The pictures look lovely - but this is not, to me, a well known Austin rose. Does anyone grow it, have any comments about its blooming and growth habits, or any photos?

Thanks and Happy New Year to All!

Judith

Comments (11)

• jerijen
    16 years ago

We grew it for several years. It was a moderate grower, with thin, wiry, thorny canes and rather ho-hum pink blooms. It had some tendency to mildew -- tho not severely.
    For us, it was BORRRR-ing.

Jeri

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Jeri, on your expert opinion, I am dropping it from my Heirloom list. It isnt widely offered and probably because it isnt one of Austin's better ones. This will help me cut down my list......thanks a bunch!
    Judith

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Well, you know, it might be a trooper, somewhere else. :-)

Jeri

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Judith, some of my very favorite roses are "dawgs" in California and vice versa. Unless a rose is reported to be a poor grower and disease prone from coast to coast, I will usually give it a try in my garden and see how it does for me. If it appeals to you, give it a go. Our growing conditions are so different than California's. I have an old Austin that no one ever talks about called "The Knight". It is one of the roses that Austin removed from commerce because it wasn't a "good" rose and it is a beautiful rose that performs well in my garden.

Carol

• luanne
    16 years ago

I have to agree with Carolina. Austins seem to be like some dogs, they go well for one master and fail everyone else. I have a couple such, Evelyn and Gertrude Jeykyll which you will find cursed and derided in threads here but which have such beautiful scents and bloom, they'll be here after I go.'As for the Austins that DA let's go, I fancy he is just making room for the new. I grow one of the oldest ones, Belle Storey and it is an exquisite rose, not on sale very many places with an extremely complex nose and beautiful semi double blooms which open well of a foggy morning. On the other hand L.D. Braithewaite, Prospero,and Abe Darby were highly touted Austins that were absolutely misrerable for me. Maybe you'll find the one woman Austin that loves you but refuses to eat for anyone else. Kind of a quest.
    la

Original Author
    16 years ago

Cressida is one D. Austin doesnt think much of, and I adore it, wouldnt be without it. Another little known Austin that looks pretty I would like to try is The Yeoman. Anyone know anything about this one? I think I may try Sir Edward, just to see.....its not like I havent pooped off money before! And it just might be something that would work for me.
    Judith

• carolfm
    16 years ago

I have Cressida and dearly love that rose! I also have The Yeoman. The Yeoman has remained a small rose, about 2 feet and the rebloom isn't very fast but it has the most beautiful blooms that seem to glow. Part of the problem may be that it was planted where it got too much shade so I moved it this fall and we'll see how it does this year.

Carol

• luanne
    16 years ago

It is so personal isn't it. I could list them in three columns, Austins that kiss my lotus feet, Austins that make raspberries and other rude noises at me and Austins that could care less or yawn as I walk by. Under the first, the love column--Belle Storey, Jude the Obscure, The Dark Lady,Redoute, Gertrude Jeykyll, Golden Celebration. Hate me:LD Braithewite,Prospero,Abe Darby. Austins that could care less--Glamis Castle. Some of the Romanticas do or did well for me, others not so much. This could apply to all roses, jeez, I'm beginning to take this personally but take heart the word picky and pernetiana aren't alliterative for nothing. You haven't lived...
    la

Original Author
    16 years ago

Luanne, what a great idea! The Love/Hate/Indifference Indicator! I am starting another thread on this one - I think it will be interesting and informative!
    Judith

• linrose
    16 years ago

I just came across this thread - I grew Sir Edward in Indiana and liked it quite a bit. Here it is with Sydonie.

{{gwi:223649}}

and bloom color and form - and, I just noticed, no blackspot and I don't spray! (a bit squished on the scanner)

{{gwi:328609}}

Original Author
    16 years ago

This is a beautiful rose - wonder why it is not widely grown? I think I will try it......thanks for the photos!
    Judith