Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Halfeti 'black' roses

Posted by nikthegreek 9b/10a E of Athens (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 12:27

Please google up 'Halfeti black roses' and see for yourself what I consider either an internet prank or a tourism publicity stunt for the small Halfeti village in Turkey.

Supposedly very dark red roses grow 'wild' there, which at some point turn to real black. From the very few pictures that exist on the net, the images show heavily photoshopped black roses appearing to be florist type hybrid teas. The village authorities are said to be making efforts to coserve these supposedly rare wild roses by planting seeds of them... The explanation provided for the colour is the very rare qualities of the local soil.

Prank or not, this 'news' seems to be going viral on the net.

What's your opinion?
Nik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Halfeti 'black' roses

I can't imagine anyone wanting one. I agree the ones pictured look unreal.

o

Here's one link which refers to these roses. The pics look crudely manipulated by removing the Red channel information and leaving only the Green and Blue out of the RGB info. These must be very red HTs...
Nik

Here is a link that might be useful: Halfeti black roses

o

Duplicate post removed

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 13:00

o

If they're gonna plant seeds of them, then there's absolutely no guarantee that it's gonna be the same rose since those don't look like species roses. Something's fishy.

Some search results show that said black roses are actually very dark magenta roses, like Black Beauty and Black Jade. They also say that it growing in the Euphrates plus Halfeti's microclimate may contribute to its blackness. This seems more plausible than those obviously shopped roses.

o

I thought about the pics having no relevance to the roses mentioned, but then I would have expected at least some real pictures should exist in some of these references. Couldn't find any.
Nik

o

Below I found some more plausible pics, which look like Black Baccara or similar. No idea if these are true pictures of Halfeti roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: The black rose of Halfeti

o

Think about it ...

"very dark red roses grow 'wild' there" ... pollenators are not attracted to black flowers. Mother Nature just doesn't work that way.

Smiles,
Lyn

o

I am afraid my inner cynic dismissed this as an absolute crock - not least because 15 years of avidly following wild roses, I have NEVER seen any species rose look remotely similar to these obvious hybrid teas/florist flowers. Lyn, I think, points out the obvious reason and every other aspect, especially the so-called Euphrates river soils, the ridiculous assertion of planting seedlings, but mostly, the viral nature of internet pranks, has convinced me that this is the usual 'rainbow' rose seeds on ebay scamalong.

Of course, humble pie is a frequent meal in my household but this time, I am not keeping the indigestion tablets to hand.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 9:12

Click bait, nothing more.

o

I was flipping channels one night and came across a show that some one was talking about the very expensive rainbow roses they had flown in from South Africa and how amazing it was they grow that way naturally......

Here is a link that might be useful: FTD

o

Well, the 'black rose' is even shown in the regions official's page. What I can believe may be the case is that florist rose production was/is taking place in the region, where some very dark red cultivar was used which, because of the region's soil characteristics and the particular climate was turning much darker than usual with age. That much I can believe. It's easy to take something with a grain of truth and blow it out of all proportion.
Nik

Here is a link that might be useful: Official Halfeti page

o

Nik ... the key is that they cannot grow "naturally" from seed if they don't get pollenated. Not only are black roses unattractive to pollenators, there are too many petals in the rose in the photos of the "Halfeti 'black' roses"

Florist roses were bred for certain characteristics and were, and still are, propagated by tissue culture.

I agree with Suzy ... it's a "crock"

Smiles,
Lyn

o

Yeah, I also think it's a crock. And I think those are Florists's roses. Someone's having some fun with this ... It's a fraud.

Jeri

o

Our little towns raise revenue with speed traps; Halfeti attracts tourisrt $$$ with "Black" roses...

o

Hi roseblush, I agree on the seed part, did I ever say otherwise?

Below is a page from a Turkish language forum. From the few words of Turkish I understand and with Google translate I infer people are talking about the particular roses and saying they are really dark burgundy red. Some pics also (apart from the ones in post 54 which show modern HT roses from Spain) seem to indicate to my eyes that these are kind of early not well formed HT's maybe from late 1800s.

I provide the link here since the system rejects it in the Name of Link field for some reason
http://www.agaclar.net/forum/calilar/4057-2.htm

So I guess some kind of old very dark red HT is grown in gardens or in the field there and the rest are just an exaggeration and tourist promo. Btw there seems also to be a Turkish TV soap opera named 'Black Rose' (Karagül) which is filmed in that area... lol

As anybody can guess, I have had too much free time in my hands lately...

Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 3:17

o

Nik..

"Hi roseblush, I agree on the seed part, did I ever say otherwise?"

Nope you didn't.

Smiles,
Lyn

o

That first group of pictures are obviously photoshopped to take out the color.

I have ink spots and it's very dark red with blackish tinges on the edges.

o

I suggest we give the rose a more "American" name for the US market: 'Adobe Desaturate'!

Here is a link that might be useful: Desaturate

o

Perfect!

o

KEWL!

I'm seeing this used lately, increasingly, in advertising.

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here