Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comte de Chambord - Mossy sepal smell?

Posted by nikthegreek 9b/10a E of Athens (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 13:10

I have a grafted bare-root Comte (at least it was sold to me as Comte and it really looks like him), which was suffering in the summer heat btw, and only recently, with the onset of its autumn flowering, did I notice the bud sepals having a characteristic pine resin smell if you scratch them a bit. I have never read about Comte smelling mossy and I'm wandering if anybody here has a budding Comte to check this out. Moss traits are found on some Autumn Damasks afaik and Comte should have enough Autumn Damask genes in him but I would have thought that someone would have mentioned it by now since he is a popular repeating old garden rose.

So, is this a trait that Comte exhibits sometimes? And if not, what could my rose be?

Nik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comte de Chambord - Mossy sepal smell?

Yes, it does.

o

Yes.

o

Thanks!

o

Yes, I get the same stickiness on my CdC.

o

The moss of moss roses is just an exaggeration of the glands found on the buds of many old roses. Many of them have slightly sticky, fragrant buds, and the fragrance varies. The oddest I've found is the scent of the buds of R. foetida: they smell something like artifically flavored orange beverage. It's quite entertaining to go around sampling bud fragrances, along with the flower scents.
Melissa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here