Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Neptune fertillizer does not use Menhaden, but use discarded fish

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

I wrote to Neptune fish fertilizers regarding Menhaden and enviromental impact, they wrote back to clarify:

"Thank you so much for writing and letting me know what people are saying. I'm not sure where the idea came from that we use Menhaden. We don't, and never have. I'll explain our process to you, so you can share.

Our primary business was always a wholesale Fish house. We�ve unloaded fishing boats here in Gloucester, MA, the oldest seaport in the county, since the early 1920�s, when my Grandfather bought this property. In 1965 my Father took over the business. We were processing a lot of Fish here in the 80's when the plant that took the fish remains gurry, went out of business. They had been turning the gurry into pet food. When you fillet a fish, only 30 to 40% is the fillet, the rest, 60 to 70% is left over. We were forced at that time to start paying Fishermen to take this gurry back to sea and dump it. This was very expensive, wasteful, and bad for the environment, because as it decomposed, it sucked oxygen from the water, creating a dead zone. At that time, we decided to start turning the gurry, into fertilizer. We knew it worked great, and was organic so it would be a win/win. The species we use are haddock, cod, flounder, hake, cusk, pollock, monkfish, skate, dogfish, and other species that are caught for human consumption. These fish swim in the cold, clean, mineral rich North Atlantic Ocean, which is nature�s perfect source for the nutrients plants and soil need. By making our Fertilizer, we are now utilizing 100% of the Fish, and not wasting anything. We are very environmentally friendly. There are 5 kids in the family and all five of us work here. We also have several cousins, grandchildren, etc. So we are a family business to the max. The fishing regulations here are extremely strict, and have forced many hard working Fishermen out of business, not because of lack of Fish, but because of agenda driven policies. I could go on and on about that but I'd be typing forever. If anyone wants to delve in further to these issues, they can go to our local paper www.gloucestertimes.com and click on the Fishing News section. It's criminal to say the least. This is a 400 year old proud industry that has been passed on from generation to generation and the policies that are putting people out of work are corrupt. Long story short, they are trying to privatize the oceans, and do to Fishermen, what they did to the family Farmer.

I'm sure this is MUCH more than you needed, but I get fired up when people judge before they know the truth.

I've attached a brief history, and a press release, that you may also find useful.

Ann Molloy ann@neptunesharvest.com

*** Both Celeste and NewYorkRita who posted absolutely stunning pics of loaded roses use Neptune products. They are different from other products since they use raw fish with omega-3, amino acids, and enzymes intact. It's the microbes that...