Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

crazy weather - and dealing with the damage

sunnysideuphill
12 years ago

Ok here in southern NH it has felt more like March/April than Nov/Dec lately. After the huge heavy wet snow of Oct 31, nothing! And of course, that snow flattened some roses that weren't even leafless yet. I hadn't even begun to remove the trellises and other supports that about six of the roses were on.

The 3' tall lanky Allegra is lying on the ground, after I removed her poor battered body from the trellis support - lots of those canes were snapped, as they were not able to go down naturally with the snow load. Nelson's Pride and Cinderella were large, lots of canes, but not on supports, and were able to go down gracefully, though they have not "bounced back" up. No visible cane breaks on those two. And the rest of the garden is somewhere between the Allegra/NP and C extremes. Example - one small Siren's Keep, about 18" tall with three canes, just getting established in this, its third year, has one cane bent in the middle; not broken, though.

Would you prune off broken canes now, or wait for spring pruning? It has finally started to get below freezing at night, and I am pretty sure that pruning won't trigger any new growth.

Comments (3)