Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

R. rubiginosa 'Magnifica'

nikthegreek
10 years ago

Anybody knows anything much about this rose?
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4064

I bought it on the spur of the moment a month ago and I'm still undecided as to her placement so she sits in a pot for the time being. Not to be confused with the rugosa of the same name, this rose is, I think, hard to find in America but I was hoping somebody from Europe might be able to help.
Nik

Comments (13)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

There is a lot of info and tons of pics of this on HMF - upright shrub, 6-7 feet - grows in your zone. What is your dilema re placement? Gorgeous rose -

Jackie

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi jacqueline thanks for your response, sorry I cannot locate either the multitude of info or the tons of pics on HMF. Are you sure you're refering to this rose and not the rugosa mentioned above?

Here is a link that might be useful: R. rubiginosa 'Magnifica'

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

Here is a link to the Vintage Gardens eglantine page. They are of closing down their business, and so none of these are available from them any longer, but they do still have useful information on their website. The eglantine page itself discusses the two growth habits in this group of roses, and if you click on the "Magnifica" link on the left hand side, there will be more information just on Magnifica. There isn't a great deal of information, but maybe you can find something you didn't already know.

It sounds like a very pretty rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eglantine varieties at Vintage Gardens

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Nik - by clicking on the link in your last post I found 9 good pictures, 3 of which were of the entire shrub - maybe not "tons", but I would think enough to be helpful. The third pic of the entire shrub is Vintage Gardens pic - you have to click on "Buy From", and then scroll down to Vintage Gardens entry, where there is a picture which if you click on it it gets bigger and is a very good picture.

Then I googled its name (all three words spelled out), and the "images" page came up with lots more pictures. Not all of them may be the correct rose , but you can go to the original page and find out. Lots of shots of the entire shrub.

Jackie

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, I asked this question expecting some informed answer from someone who's growing the rose. I know next to nothing regarding its tolerance to my climate, shade tolerance, eventual size in my climate, disease resistance etc etc. Obviously no one in here has any experience with the particular rose so I will just have to go by what little (virtually non existent) info I can find on the web in English and any info I can gather about rubiginosas in general. Thanks to everyone who responded. Nik

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just resurrecting this thread to report that my R.R.M temporarily planted in a pot in November is showing magnificent growth already. It appears healthy, vigorous and its leaf and branch structure looks very attractive and promising. I think it will make a nice bush even when it is not in bloom. Will post a pic as soon as I can. I don't expect any flowers this year although I may be surprised (?). I was intending to keep it potted and to plant it in the ground in fall but if it keep up with this rate of growth I think I may have to plant it in a couple of months. I wish someone could tell me more about this rose.

Camps, if you're reading this, maybe this is a rose to contemplate for your woody project.
    Nik

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

I am reading....and wondering. I have not grown this one myself but do recall seeing it in Germany and wondering about its parentage then (no heps visible, iirc). It was a wonderful rose with those very rugose leaves common to the rugosa species so I always wondered if it had rugosa along with sweet briar in its lineage. I love these roses (and have Amy Robsart and a couple of the Penzance roses in their pots from cuttings last year)....although there is a fair bit of variation between varieties, especially regarding that famed apple fragrance. I am also rearing a few plain eglantines from seed - but no sign of germination yet.

A very thorny beast though, that I do recall.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It looks to me as if it has larger leaves than a rugosa although I'm only judging by pics and the Pink Grootendorst baby I have. As you can see in the thread above people tend to confuse this rose with 'Magnifica', a rugosa hybrid quite common in the States. HMF only lists it as 'seedling of Lucy Ashton' a well known rubiginosa hybrid.
    Nik

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

and a big one too.....but they can be limbed up to grow from a stable tree-like trunk to make a rather good specimen plant. Very long lived too - I have seen ancient ones, encrusted with lichens but still flowering away brilliantly.
    You might want to contact some of the German nurseries such as Schultheis or even Sangerhausen (sp?). I suspect they might become gigantic and a bit unruly and wild, Nik, but if you have a bosky or rambling part of the garden which does not see a great deal of foot traffic, these roses are great for wild hedges too.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is destined for the edge of the plot where mostly my retrievers only venture (barking at the odd stray passing by or at a poor hedgehog). I'm wondering about its watering needs... being English in origin it might not like it a lot being watered by drip irrigation in the summer or being neighboured by rosemary's, pistacia lentiscus and Italian cypresses.
    Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 13:34

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

I don't actually water any of mine after the first year (and sketchily then). I mean to but we share taps at the allotment so any watering time always goes on the potatoes, then any time left over on my ill-advised 'prairie garden'.......although if one (rose) was expiring, I obviously would. In truth, my roses are not always flushed with beauty either....but they never die. Is your place particularly droughty, Nik?

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Camps it is dry in the summer season (meaning 5-6 months long). Couldn't really have gardened here without my well.
    Nik

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One interesting thing that I noticed today is that R.R.M has leaves comprised of 9 leaflets rather than the more common 7 or 5 which gives the leaves a distinctive elongated shape. Do all eglantines have 9 leaflet compound leaves?
    Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 9:07