Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

Rogue Valley split stem specials

sunnysideuphill
14 years ago

I note on the RV site that they have split stem roses as a bonus, a "pot sweetener" so to speak. Anyone with experience with nurturing split stem roses?

Comments (6)

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

I actually asked them, and they said the bark on the stems split because of bad weather. The roots are still healthy, I think they said it is a cosmetic issue. I ordered some, so we'll see.

Masha

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

Well, if they are talking about what I think they are talking about, it's something I have all to much experience with. Before I learned thou shalt not put anything near the stems of small roses during the winter except snow, this was an annual occurance with anything less than three year old plants. I wouldn't really call it a cosmetic issue, because the split stems never get over it. Consider it a form of cane girdling. If the rose has enough vigor to replace the lost cane, it will go on. However, that is about what we are talking about.

• erasmus_gw
    14 years ago

A stem can have a small split in the outer green layer and then develop healed over brown wood underneath it. I find that such a plant can do well.

• greybird
    14 years ago

I have found even with a deep split from winter injury, the rose will heal over and grow on.
    That special from RVR is a good deal. They have so many good roses on the split-stem list.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    14 years ago

Perhaps a better deal for our warmer zoned friends, Sunnyside (as evidenced by the zones of all the posters reporting no problems.) Up in the north, I'd be leery and more inclined to side with MG on this one.

• lookin4you2xist
    14 years ago

I just wrote this earlier so I will copy it.

Just received Treasure Trail today, with Janet Inada, Brown Velvet,Fa's marbled moss(again)Butterscotch Cl., Secret Garden Musk,the split rose, I didn't even notice the split. And a rose tagged "Garbage Rose" (they also send a mystery rose if you ask) I hate to say it, but I am most excited over the garbage rose(Just because it will be a good name for the rose, whatever it is?Hopefully,something pretty, I mean RVR has some of the best roses. I will not pass on a free one)All of the bands look pretty good. Last dormancy Fa's marbled will ever see(grinchly laughter) I ordered Tuesday early afternoon my time, plants arrived just after 5pm on Thursday. Can't beat that shipping time. Hopefully, they will all do well on Fortuniana. I do not want to lose Fa's marbled again. You can get 6 roses for the price of 4! Can't wait to play with some new pollen.
    Andrew

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional