Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

Source for Austin's Summer Song rose?

gardenerzone4
12 years ago

Summer Song isn't available on Austin's website, but on helpmefind, I saw pictures posted by gardeners in the US. Where are you all getting Summer Song? I'd like to find it in own root.

Comments (17)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

The only place I've seen that has it is Palatine and they're always sold out. I've been trying to get this one for at least 3 years too. I really wish DA, USA would get it!

• Campanula UK Z8
    12 years ago

mmm this is an extraordinary rose - I have a couple still blooming right now. The shape is very austin but the colour is a fabulous deep vermillion. Looks astounding with Hot chocolate/H.Cocoa and Iris Webb, with a spreading Cardinal Hume in front. Not an Austin fan but this rose really is rather good. Hope you manage to get one - I doubt you will be disappointed.

• john_ca
    12 years ago

I also was interested in this rose and was surprised that it is not listed in the US version of DA's online or printed catalogues. I called their facility in Tyler, TX and was told that this rose does not perform well in the US and that they had no plans on introducing it here. It can be obtained through Palantine Roses in Canada, but they usually sell out on their supply of this rose very quickly. Pickering carried this rose in their 2010-11 catalogue, but would not sell it to those in the USA. It would be interesting to know where they tested this rose in the US. I am not aware of any other roses developed by DA that are not (eventually) evaiable in the US.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    11 years ago

Just bumping this thread forward. Has anyone found a US source for Summer Song, yet? I can't imagine it wouldn't grow well SOMEwhere on this side of the Pond. After all, it's sold all over Europe, and even in Australia!

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

Well, I never usually make decisions based on one years growth, and I probably wouldn't in this case either.....if I had actually got 1 decent years growth. As it is, I have a particularly lopsided single cane plant (certainly does not deserve being called bush or shrub)which had 3 measly blooms all year. I will be casting this rose onto the compost heap of shame (and roses have to be REALLY awful for me to toss them after spending my meagre and hard earned cash - this one is).
    A rubbish rose - be grateful it is hard to find.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I've been drooling over pictures I've seen of it too! There is obviously a demand for it. It seems odd that DA in Tyler would say it doesn't perform well in the US. The US is such a large country and there are climates similar to that of England; maybe not where you or I live, but other places. FL and S.CA can't grow many of the once blooming OGRs, and the colder zones can't grow teas,noisettes, and chinas outside of containers, but that doesn't mean they're not commercially available to the rest of us.

Tammy

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    11 years ago

Susie, SURELY this rose isn't so site-specific in its growing requirements that it will only grow in Austin's test garden! lol. It was only introduced in 2005, so it doesn't have the excuse some of the older Austin's do. But it does seem as if Austin is regretting ever introducing it. Hmmmmmm...

Tammy, it's indeed a gorgeous rose. Several pic on HMF show a glorious, smokey, rich orange. And the shape of the bloom, wow. I don't even normally LIKE orange roses, but I can see this one complimenting so many of my apricot roses. I'll make a deal with you: whichever one of us gets it first shares cuttings with the other. It will be perfectly legal, since it looks like the patent will be history before we find it! lol.

• Terry Crawford
    11 years ago

Agree with Camp. This is a rubbish rose for sure. Resents pruning; the cane will die back with black growth. Had one nice bloon all year; the rest were small and not much to speak about. I'm not impressed with SS at all; mine's slated for the compost pile in the Spring. I've given it 3 years and it's time to go and make room for new Palatine arrivals.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    11 years ago

I'm willing to try it here in East TN, and give it a three years grace period (if I can find it at all!). It grows well for some, in certain places, as evidenced by those enticing pic on HMF.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lust-worthy Pic of Summer Song

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I had been lusting after this one too but now I'm not so sure. I've read other reports that it's really not a great rose. Like I said earlier, Palatine had it but I think even they have stopped carrying it.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Fig Insanity, you've got a deal! LOL, see ya in 13 years :) I think its Marina who has some nice pics of it on HMF...I figure if it does well in Virginia, it would be ok here too. I like to try things myself before I form opinions....come DA, give us a chance!

Tammy

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    11 years ago

ALL of Marina's roses look great in ALL of her pix. I think I hate her....kidding! But she does prove Summer Song CAN be grown well.

I'm sure Marina has some duds and just keeps the waifs out of sight where their threadbare clothes, starved physiques and wan complexions won't embarrass her. lol.

• caldonbeck
    11 years ago

No doubting it can be grown well, for me it is ok when it has no flowers. It is a reasonable shaped plant, loads of canes etc. When it gets flowers it just collapses. Honestly, as others have said, be thankful it is difficult to find.

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

I am repeating myself (as usual) - DO NOT GET THIS ROSE. There is a reason DA is not promoting it - because it is a duffer. C'mon, Mr.Austin has not been shy about promoting other not very good roses so for a rose to fail even his marketing tests......well!

• caldonbeck
    11 years ago

and camps, there is one lonely summer song in hise entire gardens. At least that I have spotted lol. No big bed of summer Song anywhere. What I don't get though, he's not even marketing it as a climber, so it doesn't make a nice shrub and it doesn't make a nice climber. There is little doubt the flowers themselves look nice if you like a dark orange.

• Tututara Zone 7
    9 days ago

Check on ETSY. It is available.

• Brandon Garner
    9 days ago

@Tututara Zone 7 Summer Song is still under patent in the US. it probably isnt the best idea to suggest looking at people’s online stores that are willing to break propagation laws.