Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Graham Thomas v. Duchess d Auerstadt

Hi,

It is decided, Cl. America has to go. I have very few yellow roses in my yard; actually, only Golden Celebration which I love. My backyard has brighter, warm colors. I read that Graham Thomas is not fragrant, but the most important quality that I am looking for is health, followed by color, as it must coordinate with the deep and medium pinks, dark reds, salmon pink, and orangey- apricot roses in my backyard. What do you all think, which one is best? I am also open to any suggestions you have.

Thank you,

Lynn

Comments (14)

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

I cannot help you with your decision, unfortunately, since I have no experience with either, but I have heard that Graham Thomas is very fragrant and the Duchesse not so much, so that will probably not be the deciding criteria in solving your pleasant dilemma. Good luck!

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

I love both roses, but I can barely detect scent in Graham Thomas whilst I would give the Duchess a strong 5 out of 10 for depth of scent and I prefer the type of scent that Duchess d'Auerstadt' has, plus in our area it is more disease resistant to foliage fungi. Always a plus as I don't spray with anything.

Lux

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Lynn,

I don't have any experience with either rose, but I have heard that Graham Thomas has a tendency to grow straight up and bloom at the tops of its canes.

Josh

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

To my nose both have a decided Tea fragrance. My grafted 'Duchesse d'Auerstaedt' gets big; about 10' x 18' with a solid annual pruning. I get the impression that it's one of those roses that's much more vigorous grafted than on its own roots. Both are beautiful varieties.
    Melissa

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

I think Graham Thomas is more vigorous grafted but own root it will develop into a good sized plant in time. Duchesse d'Auerstadt is a much healthier plant in my garden. Mine is not very old but has grown very well in a short time. It reblooms better than GT. GT is a deeper yellow and has bigger blooms. D d A may be thornless..I'd have to go check. If it has thorns there are not many.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of GT, so you can see the color, which is stable throughout the year, and does not fade. Here in No Cal, my bush gets about 7 feet tall if you let it, and in the Fall does throw out some longer canes, so it could be trained as a climber if you wanted - I would guess it could get up to 12 feet if supported. Mine has a light scent. It is mostly very healthy - I do not ever spray it with anything. Mine puts out flowers all along its height, not just at the top.

Jackie

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have not seen either rose other than online images. It is difficult to get a handle on the color. Would it be described as more of a deep yellow closer to golden or lemony yellow? Jacqueline, the lovely image you posted is reading a bright lemony yellow on my computer screen.

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 17:23

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Lemony yellow, but perhaps not quite as bright as the image.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I have Graham Thomas and he is large, lovely and very fragrant. He does black spot some for me and he is a water hog! He is always the first rose in my garden to start to wilt when the bed needs watering. So if water is an issue for you he may not be the one to get. Otherwise he does like warm weather best and often blooms right through the hottest part of my summer. Not that they compare with yours, I know.

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

DdA isn't a water hog, though of course it won't bloom in a drought if you don't water it. The blooms on my plant are large and globular and golden yellow, a richer yellow than GT, which I remember as a buttery tone. Both are excellent colors.
    Melissa

• buford
    10 years ago

I love the color of GT. I have it in a bad spot, it doesn't get enough sun, but it still puts out some blooms, and they are usually great ones. I always find myself taking photos of his blooms. I am moving it this spring to a better spot:

{{gwi:330276}}

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Lynn I'm wondering where you have found the Duchess to buy.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mendocino_rose,

Greenmantle sells it. I did not call them to verify availability, so it may not be in stock.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 11:31

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Thanks Lynn.