Comment on these Austins?

Posted by frances_in_nj z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 17:34

Hi I'm wondering if anybody can tell me about the following Austins:

1. Harlow Carr
2. Hyde Hall
3. England's Rose
4. Fighting Temeraire

I'm interested in whatever you might have to say - beauty, rebloom, health, habit, etc. Someone on HelpMeFind described England's rose as being in color like a combination of Young Lycidas and Gertrude Jekyll, 2 of my absolute favorite Austins, so I'd love to hear more about this rose! I seem to remember reading something negative about Fighting Temeraire, but don't remember what or where. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comment on these Austins?

We planted Hyde Hall Hedging last summer. I am really pleased with this rose.

They were large healthy bare root plants ordered from David Austin. They're in full sun planted in rich loamy soil. They went in the ground in mid April and were in continual bloom from June until a November snowfall. Can't speak to hardiness yet, but as of today the foliage is still green.

We have serious blackspot and I do spray my other DA roses, but decided not so do so with Hyde Hall. I'd say they were 10% - 20% affected and there was no loss of foliage. That's pretty amazing for this region.

There was some variability in the bloom for on any given plant, see photos. The flowers are lovely, a warm pink which maintains color well. They only last a couple of days but that's ok because the profuse volume. No balling and open blossoms to withstand rain pretty well. Also the spent blooms clean well, a welcome quality in a mass planting. Mild fragrance, pleasant, sort of fruity - bubblegum.

Growth was shrubby and balanced, about waist high. One plant had a rogue cane that reached 5'. Very thorny!

I still haven't figured out how to post more than one picture at a time, so I will post another separately.

o

I loved Harlow Carr for the short time I had it; this rose did not appreciate my dry oven summer temperatures although Austin's catalog says it tolerates heat well. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. It's a rose I would love to have thrive for me. Even as a youngster it was nice and bushy and I don't think it gets overly tall. It's the only one on your list I know about. The lilac pink color really appeals to me. I don't remember its fragrance, but I believe it did have some.

Ingrid

o

Also Hyde Hall; some blooms were very full.

o

Wow, those pictures of Hyde Hall are gorgeous! Thanks to you both for your comments. I'm really tempted by both of these roses!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here