Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

mme laurette messimy rose

Alana8aSC
11 years ago

Does anyone know who has the correct rose? Everyone who sells this rose has a different picture, soo it didn't look as if they all were selling the right rose under the right name. Any inputs on this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Comments (12)

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Gosh, don't know who has the RIGHT one, but my old Chamblee's Mme. Laurette does not look like the HMF photo--I'll try to find one that does.

My plant is that color (no yellow), but the flowers are pretty full, small-medium sized, kind of frilly. They bleach out to very light pink/white in summer heat. Blooms all the time--one of my best bloomers.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks bluegirl, their suppossed to change colors ,I believe I read ,but are suppossed to have a yellow center at some point, and all the nursuries selling it flowers look nothing alike. Thats why I'm trying to see who has the right one.

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

The rose books I've checked discuss & show the yellow center. Mine does not have it. It's a fine plant but now I wonder, too, what is the 'real' Mme. Laurette Messime.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bluegirl, I just saw on the exchange forum that you had some of this rose for exchange, can you show me a picture, if you have one, what your's looks like? None of my roses are big enough for cuttings yet, but maybe we could work something out. I wonder what your rose is with it being kinda frilly and all, would love to see a picture! thanks bluegirl for all your help, and I too wonder who has the 'real' one! All the nurseries selling her, have no pictures that really look right, but I know the pictures in rose books are different from the pictures roses go through, at different stages they look different. Angel Gardens, I think it was, has her and I was thinking of getting one from her this spring, but wasn't sure if she had the right one :)

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

I don't have a photo now & we just got our 1rst hard freeze, soo...

I looked around at various nursery pictures & the Angel Gardens photo is by far the closest to the plant I have. In the cool weather of fall or early spring the blooms start out like Vintage's photo, but in heat they loose the discreet form quickly & make little bundles of short petals similar to my Champney's Pink Cluster flowers. Sweet smell & very floriferous.

It is easy to root & I think I already have several unpromised rooted plants now--also some cuttings rooting from last month. I'll e-mail you--happy to share. It's a real nice plant here.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:330462}}

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    11 years ago

I have a plant of "Mme. Laurette Messimy" that I purchased from Angel Gardens about two years ago. The flowers have never had any yellow on them. When I went to ARE in Independence, I saw that the plant that grows in their display garden has flowers that look just like mine from Angel Gardens (but NOT like the ARE online photo). Last year, I noticed this comment from jedmar on a particular photo of Mme. Laurette Messimy on HMF :

"It is always easier to say what what is not, than what it is. Mme Laurette Messimy should have strong colours and look like the bloom on the Wills card posted by Billy Teabag. If I should make a guess what is being sold as Mme LM in USA, then it is 'Unerm�dliche' von Lambert (more photos would be needed from both)."

When I looked up Unermudliche on HMF, I did see that the flowers in many of the photos looked just like those on my plant of Mme. Laurette Messimy. Also, this comment on the main page for Unermudliche describes my Mme. Laurette Messimy:
    "this rose is tireless in its flowering "

Here is a link that might be useful: comments on HMF for a photo of

11 years ago

Here is the link to the HMF listing of Unermudliche. You can compare the flowers of this rose to those of your Mme. Laurette Messimy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unermudliche on HMF

This post was edited by plantloverkat on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 22:52

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Well that's interesting. I want to study close-up blooms on the plant I have. I don't recall any yellow other than the yellow stamens but now I'm anxious to check it out. It had a bunch of buds but they got frost-nipped. Hmmm. Unermudliche's photo looks very like my recollection. Will post when I get a chance to have a close look.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks plantloverkat thats very interesting. Thanks for all the wonderful information and photo.

11 years ago

If you look at the photos for Mme. Laurette Messimy on HMF, you will see that the ones from Europe seem to be of a different plant with more colors in the flowers. These photos actually remind me of Comtesse du Cayla, a rose I also have. If you scroll through the pages of photos for Mmme. Laurette Messimy on HMF, you will come to one from Calif Sue that was taken at Vintage Gardens - this flower has a different shape than mine, and it does seem to have a bit of yellow toward the center of the petals (which I have never noticed on mine). I also found an old thread from 2008 where Kaye in AR says, "Mme. Laurette Messimy is a great China here. However, the one that Vintage sells is evidently not the same as the one I got from Chamblee's."

When I first realized that there are probably two different versions of MLM out there, I was disappointed that mine was not the more colorful one. But then I realized that the version of Mme. Laurette Messimy that I have is a great rose for my climate - that it is healthy and almost never without a flower. I like it very well.

Here is a link that might be useful: old Chinas thread on Garden Web

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

I didn't scroll through all the pics. Here are some more that look like my Chamblee's plant:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.45925
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.43797
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.7953

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well Everyone I solved why plantloverkat said about Comtesse du Cayla and mme laurette messimy rose are mistaken for one another! Mme Laurette Messimy is 'Rival De Paestum'*'Mme Falcot' and Comtesse Du Cayla is (seedling of 'Rival De Paestum'*'Mme Falcot')*Mme Falcot' so they are very closly related. I already have Comtesse Du Cayla on order for next spring so I may just stick with her.I do have a question ,however, I looked up these two 'parent' roses and it looks as if they are both Teas so how do two teas make a china? and Bluegirl did you get my email? Thanks ya'll for the help and let me know what you think of what I found out!

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH