Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Your Most Treasured Rose?

Some of you all have 100's of roses and many of us have less, but I believe we are all fortunate because we are able to be touched by the beauty and/or fragrance they provide.
Despite the number, there are often rose(s) that a gardener may be especially attached to. I am especially drawn or attached to Astrid Grafin de Hardenberg due to the historical significance and beauty of the rose. Annie Laurie McDowell was love at first sight for me. I am so happy that this rose is growing and it seems happy in my garden. Which rose or roses are most treasured by you and if you do not mind sharing, why?

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 11:26

Comments (19)

• Evenie
    10 years ago

I miss terribly the Champney's Pink Cluster I left behind in my latest, and hopefully last, move. That rose smelled like angel farts and was always beautiful, no matter what. I think I am going to go snatch it back as soon as school lets out even though I really don't have the space for it. I got it from the New Orleans Botanical gardens, where it had been planted for a great many years. They dug it up and gave it to my mother when they revamped the old rose garden.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I am very attached to Wolley Dod's Rose. I find it beautiful in bloom or not. It has presence with a capital P. It is now probably 15 feet wide by 10 feet tall. It has it's own garden that we call Wolley Dod's Garden. I am also really fond of the Paul's Himalayan Musk that grows over our old motorhome.

• ny_steve
    10 years ago

My favorite is Baronne Edmond de Rothschild, so beautiful when it blooms. Many of my own root roses are about 2-3 years old, so things could change when they all fully mature. I also have Paul's Himalayan Musk, would love to see it get as big as yours Mendicino Rose. Stay warm, can't wait until Springâ¦brrr.

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

I would say my most treasured rose is Mme Joseph Schwartz, partly because she was the first tea rose I grew and I feel like she opened my eyes to tea roses which I had no knowledge of before. She is also incredibly graceful and fragrant.

My other is Mrs BR Cant because she is the most healthy, blooming, wonderful rose I could ever imagine.

I do love tea roses the most!

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mendocino_rose,

I am in awe of your Paul's Himalayan Musk. OMG!!!

Jaspermplants, Mme. Joseph Schwartz is in my garage, I am itching to plant it. MJS will be my first tea rose as well. I was drawn to what I saw as a graceful habit and can only hope that this rose is fragrant in my garden too.

Evenie, It was nice of the New Orleans Botanical Gardens to give the rose to your mother. I have read horror stories regarding adored plants and roses becoming part of the compost heap.

Lynn

• Evenie
    10 years ago

Mendocino_rose, if I were still a child, with my (somewhat) former preference for living in the garden rather than the house, I would move right into your old motorhome. The police would have to drag me out kicking and screaming.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

Evenie, Many decades ago, I met someone who lived in a potting shed (converted?) in the middle of a large garden. I have envied him ever since.
    Love that Wolley Dod's rose photo. Trish.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Steve, I love Baron Edmond too.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

This one, but I don't know the name. It's my Grandma's rambler and I treasure it for her memory. Maybe a Walsh rambler? This is my first year growing it; it took a lot of planning to make a suitable place to grow it because it's a house eater. My Mom pulled a single sucker for me and in just one summer I have at least a half a dozen 12 foot long branches sprawling every which way.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I think it must be Excelsa, which is a Walsh rambler.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

For my Antique's it's a tie between Souv de la Malmaison and Pink Pet. Pink Pet is always in bloom and Souv de la Malmaison for it sheer beauty.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Anna Olivier (tea, Ducher, 1872). I have three bushes, including the old original one that we think has been growing in our garden since at least the 1920s. I had trouble getting it identified at first, but Vintage Gardens figure out what it was. It is rare in commerce now.

Jackie

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My Evelyn roses are my most treasured. My late beloved mother in law was Mary Evelyn and my older granddaughter (my photographer) is Clare (for her grandfather) Evelyn (for her grandmother). So just the very name of this rose floods me with memories...and then there is her beauty. Diane

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

It would have to be Souvenir de la Malmaison because it's the prettiest bush and best-blooming rose in my garden with of course gorgeous flowers. It's in a three-way tie though with the somewhat gangly early hybrid teas La France and Souvenir du President Carnot because I'm just so enchanted with their flowers and the wonderful fragrance of La France.

I don't know what will happen though when some of my young roses such as Devoniensis, Lady Alice Stanley, No. 92 Nanjing and Hoag House Cream grow up and begin blooming. By that time I'm sure there will be a new thread of what's your favorite rose. I think we all love responding to those.

Ingrid

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

Whoops. Posted this comment to the wrong thread.

This post was edited by Sidos-House on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 18:17

• shopshops
    10 years ago

Belinda's Dream captures my heart and my vote. It is my most floriferous rose here in a Texas. It puts out blooms in 100 degree weather.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I guess of my OGRs it would be my Mutabilis because I coveted it for years thinking I couldn't grow it in my cold climate but I finally gave it a try anyway and it did make it through it's first winter and I'm very hopeful for it's second.

{{gwi:330522}}

• gar99010
    10 years ago

Charles de mills