Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetgrey

In The Dark of December

ms. violet grey
9 years ago

My 2 bareroots (Tarde Gris & Acropolis) are leafing out faster than a New York minute!
This was my 1st order from Palatine. 2 weeks delayed in shipping + Thanksgiving holiday weekend. They were wrapped extremely well and still moist. I planted them straight in the ground. Recent rain also helped the bareroots to thrive.

I seem to have more roses blooming now than over the summer. Maybe due to lower humidity. This year's winter is extremely mild thus far. Some days actually feel like spring. I saw a bee today. My roses are not dormant.

David Austin 2015 catalog in my mailbox today.
Is David Austin still living? The photos of him do not look recent.

....this December even Gertrude gave me a bloom :)

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 18:58

Comments (16)

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Prince

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 18:50

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gertrude Jekyll

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Sounds like your roses are doing wonderful and The Prince looks gorgeous!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I believe David Austin has passed away, but I'm sure his business and legacy will survive long after him.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

DA is still among the living. :)

9 years ago

I apologize. I'm afraid news of his death have been greatly exaggerated......

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, his first rose introductions were 40+ years, right?
    He's probably in his 80's. The marketing picture appears to be taken several years old.

• shopshops
    9 years ago

So pleased for you Mauvegirl. Such beautiful roses! I have been eagerly checking my mailbox since Thanksgiving for my DA catalog. Hopefully, mine will come along soon.
    I had so many gardening plans for Dark December. My lawn removal project is 75% completed. But this darned flu keeps getting me. I have bulbs to plant and now that I know that I can plant potted roses almost year round in this part of Texas..... I have six more to get in the ground. I did not want 2014 tasks to run into 2015...but its sure looking that way.

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago

You might be thinking of the Beales family - Peter Beales, Joan Beales and Amanda Beales all passed away within a shortish period between 2012 and 2013. The last family member, Richard Beales, left the company this summer.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Your Prince is beautiful and I am also eagerly waiting for my DA catalog to arrive in the mail.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I'm sorry the last Beales is gone from Beales. We've lost such wonderful, colorful supporters of roses.

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

shopshops, I hope you feel better. One day it's warm, next day breezy or damp & cold. Lawn removal is a magnificent idea. Take it easy for a while. There is always "tomorrow".

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the catalog + a coupon 20%

9 years ago

I received the little 20% off booklet but was not deemed worthy of the catalog. I can't blame them since I haven't ordered much from them. Still waiting for their Young Lycidas to do something, anything. I haven't had much luck with the Austins, but did plant Carding Mill yesterday, which is from Chamblee's. I wish now I'd ordered from Austin's since their bareroot would have grown much more quickly and couldn't have cost much more than the $35 price tag from Chamblee's, two thirds of which was shipping costs.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Mr. Austin will be 89 in February. Roses keep you young at heart!

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I seem to recall seeing Mr Austin, the elder, at the Chelsea Flower show earlier this year.... I do wish they wouldn't name so many of their best roses after family members...

I think it's quite sad about the Beales family and that they are no longer connected with it... a whole life's work now in the hands of others... I believe it has Canadian investment and their intention is to offer an alternative to Austin English roses, going by the name of 'Modern Classics'.....