Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

What are you hoping Santa brings?

kittymoonbeam
10 years ago

Are any of you hoping for a rose or gardening gift? I hope I get a big pile of mulch this year.

Here's someChristmas cheer for you. I saw this free concert live today at Disneyland Resort. 420+ tubas. It was incredible. Here's a flavor of it from a previous year. The video does not show all of the really big tubas in the back where I was. All the people were wearing decorated clothes and hats or costumes and the tubas were decorated with tinsel and ribbons and all kinds of flashy stuff. The resonating sound off the area was fantastic. Just walking around changed the sound. 420 tubas was like nothing I ever heard before.

This post was edited by kittymoonbeam on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 19:36

Comments (30)

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Using the link box. It wasn't there for my first try. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuba Christmas at Disneyland Resort

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

More than anything, I wish for RAIN for me and everyone else in the world who needs it desperately.

Ingrid

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Of course, just the right amount of rain, at the right time for all who need it. But, my most "selfish" Christmas wish is for some really neat seedlings from the 24 sq ft of seedling tables, chock full of this years product. Not "peace on earth" or anything close, but what would float my boat, none the less. Happiest of Holidays (of your choice) to all. Kim

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Oh, the usual. World peace. Good health for all the people I know and love. Maybe some rain, anywhere in the world where there is drought.

Other than that, maybe some books. When I am not gardening, hiking, or doing needlework of some kind, I like to read.

Rosefolly

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

Most of what I want can't be wrapped in packages under the Christmas tree. Unfortunately: that would be so simple. For the garden we have old hay and a man with a digger to make holes in arrival. And the hellebores are forming their buds.
    We tend to get stuff when we need or want it, which is bad for present-giving holidays. I am enjoying the beautiful and much needed flannel sheets I bought earlier this month, and enjoying my daughter's anticipation of the keyboard that's arriving at our house sometime this vacation. She has a bad case of thinglust where this keyboard is concerned, but I think she'll put it to good use, and as a rule she's not a great wanter.
    Straying into the mined area of religion, I am really happy about Pope Francis, the best news of the year. Can I claim his activities as a Christmas gift? I'm saying this as a non-Catholic from a non-Catholic background.
    Melissa

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Rain! Oh please, oh please!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

What I'd really like can't be wrapped and put under the tree. HELP! A strong, willing back to help me dig and plant next spring would be my real delight. No grumbling or grousing and willing to work for more than 15 minutes before deciding they're too tired or they want to go watch some game on TV would be nice for a change. Other than that I don't think I there is anything thing I really need...well, I guess I could always find room for a new rose or two!

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Rain rain rain.
    Also I need two young men. A beautiful fountain lost its back support and part of it fell. It's so very heavy that Michael and I can't get it back up. Two strong young men would do the trick.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Melissa, I couldn't agree more about Pope Francis. I don't believe there has ever been another pope who so truly embodies what religion should be and so seldom is. I'm not religious but no one has to be to admire this man and his actions.

Ingrid

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

a cure for Parkinsons disease.
    My friend and neighbor Luanne has it. which puts my trivial desires in perspective.

For my garden I'd love an 'Etoille de Lyon' though I haven't seen it in commerce since vintagegardens.com closed. I would trade all the roses in my world to see Luanne well. She was an early participant at Dirt Day at vintage gardens. and she introduced me to Old Garden Roses. She was hospitalized in September and was very ill, but survived the infection.

... and a cure for stomatitis, a cat disease my darling William has been diagnosed with.

I'm looking forward to midnight mass with carols and candlelight; light and music to sooth our souls... and wish for rain, rain, rain...

Happy Holidays,

Lux

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

Lux, I've never met or been in contact with Luanne, but the name has excellent rose connotations for me. Could you pass along my wishes for her to get better?
    I believe that the rose called "Bermuda's Anna Olivier" has been identified as 'Etoile de Lyon'. I have BAO in my garden; it matches the description of EDL and is a glorious rose. Perhaps if you can't find the rose under one name you might locate it under the other? BOA roots easily from cuttings, though it's slow to start in my garden. It does get going in time.
    Happy holidays to you, too, and too all the members of the forum (lurkers as well).
    Melissa

• joshtx
    10 years ago

For Christmas I'd love to see my family back on its feet. Since my brother deployed my parents and younger brother haven't been themselves. I got the worst grades of my college career this semester too. It'd be great to have everyone stop looking so lost.

Josh

• mariannese
    10 years ago

I am hoping for a serene Christmas. My son and his ex will celebrate together at my house for the first time since they divorced five years ago. They are finally on good terms and can co-operate in matters about their children. I hope this happy state will hold and we will have a peaceful Christmas with all the cousins enjoying themselves together.

I am also hoping for a white Christmas but it doesn't seem likely with temperatures in the forties (+7C) today.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Santa brought us an early present! A son that my cousin didn't know he had. They are getting along very well. My aunt and uncle are happy to have a grandchild . I get to meet our newest family members this Christmas at my aunt's house. He's 8 or 9 years old. Everybody's really happy about it.

• gnabonnand
    10 years ago

Melissa, I'm not a Catholic either, but I couldn't agree more. He is most definitely a gift to the world.

Randy

• User
    10 years ago

Being a misanthrope, I'm not a goodness and light sort of person around this time of year--or much of the rest of the year. :-)

I hope he brings death and destruction to all the evil people in the world who truly deserve it.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

On a lighter note, I hope Santa can convince Tantau to sell me about eight of their newer roses (with an Austin look, and in some cases an OGR look) that I really waaant. Please Santa. Here's the list, and these lovelies can be seen on HMF:
    Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg
    Belvedere
    Bailondo
    Giardina
    Heidi Klum Rose
    Lavender Ice
    Mariatheresia
    Pastella
    and maybe, Chippendale

Diane

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

I hadnt asked for one, but I can't say I'm disappointed with my new little friend.

I named her Buttercup. She's crawling on my lap currently. :)

Jay

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Jay! Lula arrived just a week or so more than a year ago. She also "attached" herself to me...everywhere I go, everything I do. Kim

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

bellegallica:
    Don't worry, the evil people will do that themselves; it's not Santa's job.
    Here's wishing you some happy times digging in the dirt, or otherwise finding serenity doing whatever suits you best.

Nanadoll,
    I don't grow many modern roses, but DH got me 'Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg' some years ago and I do like this rose. Erect stout growth, handsome blooms with fragrance, and a tough plant. It's a winner.

Melissa

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Nanadoll,

Have you checked with Pam at Angel G.? Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg is one she propagates.

Lynn

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

our collie to survive through Xmas - although the steroids and painkillers have restored her to a semblance of life, unlike the frightened, immobile, panting creature she was a week ago.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I wish that for you, too, Campanula. And may all your family have a happy Winterval. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    I contacted Pam a while back and her reply was a bit vague about my being on her waiting list for Astrid. She did ask if I could send cuttings from Augusta Luise and Ascot, which I said I would (if they are not patented), and I didn't hear back. I'll have to try again to clear things up. Diane

• mariannese
    10 years ago

Nanadoll, I have two of the Tantaus on your list, Pastella and Mariatheresia and they are both excellent roses. A friend has Bailando but he's not so fond of it, I am not quite sure why. We were given them for trial for three years and I am so happy about the roses I had although I had never heard of them before.

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

Mellisa

thanks for the information,
    rose petals does have Etoile de Lyon as well as Anna Olivier/Etoile de Lyon.

Lux

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thanks for your comments on Astrid, Melissa. And Marianne your lovely photo and comments are helpful, too. All the positive comments just make me want these roses even more. Diane

• cath41
    10 years ago

Camps,

I am so sorry that your collie was in such dire condition and hope that she now continues more comfortably, for your sake as well as hers.

Cath

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Thanks Kim! Lula looks like a great companion too! I haven't had a cat since I was in college a couple years ago so it's great to have a pet once again. My last cat was 22 when she passed (older than me at the time) and it was very hard to want to move on to another pet, but it feels great now to have Buttercup here.

Also, Rogue Valley seems to have Etoile de Lyon in stock at a dollar off right now Lux.

Jay

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Material gifts I received and am grateful for:
    A good knife. It is actually a big cleaver and cuts through things like they're butter.
    Some good cookies
    Washington's Secret Six a book about some unrecognized spies who helped win the revolutionary war. It is supposed to restore your faith in the goodness of people.
    A shawl made out of bamboo fibers
    An 8x10 photo my son took of my dog
    A card from my brother
    Going to The Hunger Games with my husband and daughter on Christmas day and later going to the Chinese buffet
    The whole day was good. No tension. Hugs. Nice.