Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
titian1

Advice please on moving roses in summer

titian1 10b Sydney
10 years ago

I have 2 roses that I planted in August, then moved 2 months later. They have just started to get a go on, but i now realise they are still in the wrong places.
Should I move them now, or will it be safer to wait until winter?
Thanks in advance.
Trish.

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

You can do it either way. If it's still early spring and cool enough there and the roses haven't grown too much you can go ahead and make the move right away. If they've already grown quite a bit and you don't want to lose the first bloom or if it's gotten too hot already you can wait and do it in the fall or winter depending on your weather. In either case try to disturb the root ball as little as possible and just keep them watered, no fertilizer, until you see new growth on them.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, seil. I'll wait a couple of days, then, as it's going to cool down.

• User
    10 years ago

Depends on a lot of things...but not least , on your character, energy and level of persistence. Capability Brown was famous for transplanting entire, fully mature trees, so life will always find a way to continue, as long as certain procedures are followed (mainly involving hard labour and delicate roots). Being something of an idler, I will happily prevaricate until 'the weather is appropriate'....which, sometimes, means never. However, if you are a human dynamo who adores the digging of massive rootballs and endless watering in the moved plant, then go right ahead - many on this forum are moulded in this energetic cast (Seil) but there are a few slackers who might be inclined to say hang on a bit. I also find it quite astonishing how perspectives can shift so that unless a plant was visibly suffering, I can happily live with annoying aesthetics, either by simply ignoring the eyesore, disguising it or coming to love it through sheer familiarity....but then, I have never had any problems finding excuses for laziness, up to and including including plant death (darwinian selection).

• titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Campanula, I don't have your workload, and have never had your energy, but I didn't need much energy to dig up Maman Cochet. Not much in the way of roots, and got no soil with it, but so far it seems to be surviving in its new spot. The other rose, my namesake, Titian, is just about to bloom, and I may just leave it till winter.

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Having just moved them a couple of months ago is the key, I think. Not too much root development will have taken place so it will be easier, from a mechanical effort point of view, to move them now than later. Just remember to water them, water them and then water them again. Don't be surprised if some leaf loss occurs after moving since they may go into survival mode. In fact, people have been known to help them go into this mode by de-leafing them and or prune them before moving. Can you, somehow, temporarily shade them in their new location? Maybe put an old beach umbrella in good use?
    Nik

• titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Nik. I did prune it a bit, and it's gone under a tree, but I like the idea of a beach umbrella - Maman Cochet on holiday! I'll see about Titian. It has 2 blooms out and several coming - so hard to sacrifice. Another factor is that where it's to go, there are 2 Mrs Reynolds Hole. I'm pretty sure these are going, as they don't take the heat, but I want to give them a final chance.

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

An old beach umbrella can be put into good use to shade many a beloved living thing from vicious sun, as this photo from Paros island in Greece aptly demonstrates. Depending on the brand advertised on the umbrella and the animate object it shades, a humorous statement can also be made.
    Nik

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I love that picture! Umbrellas are always in use here. Any day over 95 and the umbrellas come out. My neighbors are used to it by now. Shade cloth on poles works well too for smaller roses. If you want to move your other rose after it flowers, just water well a few days before and take as much soil as you can. If you have something to wrap around the root mass it really helps to prevent tearing of the fine roots while you handle it. I like to build a little soil ring around the moved plant so I can water in well over the next few days.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, kittymoonbeam. It hadn't occurred to me to water well before moving. The silly thing is, I only need to move it about 4', so that it's against the fence.

Nik, that is DRY country.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

That photo of the shaded goat is touching. It's pitiful to see poor cattle out in lots without a bit of shade--they enjoy the relief as much as us.

Other easy temporary shade cloths are old sheets. Just drape the bushes for about a week & it really moderates the heat & sun.

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Hi titian,

Yes, the southern Aegean islands can be very dry in the summer (they often go without any rain for 6 or 7 months), they turn to a very lush green colour in winter. Were I live the climate is almost as dry as that and my garden would look almost like this in the summer were it not for supplemental watering. Native plants can survive in this climate by going into summer dormancy or by growing huge root systems or by storing water in their tissue in winter or even by taking advantage of the night mist due to the proximity of the sea by absorbing humidity through the stomata on their leaves, but not roses, of course.The particular photo is of a thrashed hay field so not much in the way of native plants. Even the olive trees would need some supplemental watering until they got truly established in order for them not to be stunted.
    Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 0:37

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

Brilliant photo Nik.
    Daisy