Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaspermplants

RED Lady Banks rose

jaspermplants
12 years ago

The past couple years while looking through Lowe's nursery to possibly catch something unusual I can rescue from there, I've noticed they have what is labelled a red lady banks rose. I'm pretty positive there is no such thing and besides it doesn't look anything like a lady banks rose. Has anyone else seen this?

I did take a picture with my cell phone but cannot figure out how to get it off my phone, much less post it here. It is very thorny and the blooms are bright red.

It bugs me when something is so blatantly mis-labeled. If I knew what it was, I'd tell the Lowe's nursery staff, not that that would do anything but it would make me feel better.

Comments (29)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Whatever it is, the thing pops up in home improvement stores every year. I think it was on Dave's Garden someone had posted about it last year. Unfortunately, no one ever gets good enough photos of it to attempt an identification. Nor has anyone bought one to put up the information. Kim

• roseseek
    12 years ago

There is an old thread on DG and one posted here on Garden Web last year. They also posted a photo which looks something like Ralph Moore's Magic Dragon. I doubt it's a mis labeling issue, more like a deliberate renaming of something otherwise unsellable. Calling it a Banksia is like calling Cl Sunflare "Cl Yellow Blaze". Using the better known name to sell something totally unrelated. J&P did it for decades, offering all manner of colored Pinocchios, and they've done it even more recently by offering many different colored Simplicity types, even though they had nothing to do with one another in most instances. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Banks, I don't think so!

• jaspermplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, that's it, on the previous thread. Thanks for posting that, Kim.

Well, I have to say I'm surprised that you can call a rose anything you want, as long as it's not under patent, is that how it works?

No wonder there is so much mis-identification of roses. It's just so goofy, sort of. I don't know what to think...

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You're welcome, and yes, you can call anything you want, anything you want to call it as long as it isn't patented or trademarked. It's been done from the first days of plant introductions through today by companies and people, large and small. There have been a few threads about just this in the past month here. Greenheart, the people who have the Moore, Pixie Treasures, N'oreast and a number of other minis, is renaming a number of them and marketing them under the new Garden Treasures line. It can be confusing, but it can also help to keep roses in commerce which might well otherwise fall by the way side. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Greeheart Garden Treasures

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I've read older mentions, though, of a red Banksia.

No, no -- I don't think what Lowe's has is likely to be that, but for Heaven's Sake! Someone needs to buy one, and photograph it, so we can figure out what in Hades they do have.

(FWIW, a while back at least, KMart was selling Fortuniana as "White Lady Banks." But other outlets here in SoCal have sold it as "Snowflake.")

Jeri

• jaspermplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would love to see a red lady banks rose! Of course this isn't it, it was thorny and stiff, nothing like the graceful lady banks.

Kim, interesting that "renaming" can keep roses in commerce; so it has it's uses after all.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I'd love Banksiae in other colors, too, but adding the necessary genes to permit that would also change the habit and foliage of the plant enough that it wouldn't have the character we love. They tried for decades to put a yellow flower on the Radiance plant, but what was necessary to change the flower color, altered the plant and foliage enough to make it pretty bad, compared to the original.

Yes, renaming can keep them in commerce longer. People very often want "new and improved". Even if they already own the product, they need to be convinced they need the new and better one, more. Instead of selecting new seedlings for their new marketing scheme, it was much more cost effective to reintroduce what they already own and grow as something "new". Kim

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Yesterday at Home Depot I noticed the pots of a red single climber, thought hmm is that the Dr they are selling?

Label says "Red Lady Banks"

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Home Depot, eh? I think I'll check out HD here -- though it never seems that the HDs in different areas have the same things, still, it is worth a look.

Jeri

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Home Depot, eh? I think I'll check out HD here -- though it never seems that the HDs in different areas have the same things, still, it is worth a look.

Jeri

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Roseholic bought one, had it growing and flowering along with her Red Ribbons and they are absolutely indistinguishable from each other. You wouldn't look twice at it under the Red Ribbons name, but call it "Red Lady Banks" and everyone drools! We had a thread concerning it on the Rose Hybridizers Association. I thought it was Red Ribbons and she verified it. There are photos of both in the linked thread. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Lady Banks on the RHA

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Glad someone did, so I don't have to.

OTOH, since we have to go to Home Depot for some things like bags of sand . . . I might as well take a look, just for drill.

Jeri

• jaspermplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Based on the pictures posted in the thread above, that is the rose I saw Lowes.

• odinthor
    11 years ago

Once upon a time, there was a "vivid rose" Lady Banks: 'Rosea' (Breeder unknown, -1846) "Flowers vivid rose, double; form, cupped" (W. Paul). "A hybrid, with bright roseate flowers, the whole plant partaking as much of the character of the Boursault Rose as of the Banksian: in fact, it is a most complete mule; and though it has lost a little too much caste in the shape and size of its flowers--for they are a degree larger, and not quite so double as those of the true Banksian--it will prove a very pretty climber, and is also quite hardy" (William R. Prince).

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Oooooohhhh . . . Now, wouldn't it be something, to find THAT?

Jeri

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Jeri,

Would this one also be good in my "need a thorny easy care rose" corner? At $10 and almost the right height for the fence it would save me some fruit this season

• jerijen
    11 years ago

If it were really a banksia, I'd say no, because they ain't thory . . . But this -- IS it thorny???

If you REALLY want something horribly prickly, but pretty and care-free (and remontant) you might think about the rose I recommended to Kippy -- 'Lady Carolina.'

The only downside is, in my climate, it's blush, and in yours it would surely be white.

Jeri

• windeaux
    11 years ago

I think a red Lady Banks would look much like the rambler 'Chevy Chase' with its small, bright cherry red, petal-packed blossoms.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Chevy Chase', 1939 Rambler

• Llanwenlys
    11 years ago

Whenever I buy a plant from Home Depot I feel as if I had liberated it from hell. Recently I passed a large shrub labeled "Jasmine". "Hmmm." I thought, "that looks for all the world like a Lady Banks rose. I'll bet it IS a Banksean rose", and though it was covered with mildew, it was very robust, so I brought it home and put it in a sunny corner, well watered. This year it has no mildew and many small buds along the laterals, which are not yet open but do look like my other white Lady Banks. If they open to some other creature I will report back. But jasmine?? I don't think so.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Guess where I found a table full of "red lady banks" roses today?

(Yup Home Depot) Will bring the camera and get some good photos

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Oh GOODIE!

We need to go to HD tomorrow, so I'll take a camera. :-)

Jeri

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Oh GOODIE!

Jeri

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Oh GOODIE!

Jeri

• Adrift-in-beauty
    9 years ago

You are all describing my mystery red "tree" rose ... I bought it at lowes labeled asst. Rose here's some pics let me know what you think ... it is I googled the "magic dragon" some one suggested and its a dead on on for what I have let me know if this is the lowes mystery rose you all are talking about

• Adrift-in-beauty
    9 years ago

I thought I would mention it is very very hardy . Is not bothered bye drought or flood . It will get bs and loses a few leaves but replaces them very quickly . Mostly blooms on the end of its canes in clusters . It has a light scent. And WICKED thorns . They are smallish in size but very sharp and very strong and plentiful ... it is possibly the healthiest rose in my garden ... on part with the drift roses and more resistant the my knockouts

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

A couple of years ago I bought a rose at our local garden center (or what passes for such in these parts) which was labeled Banksia Rosea. According to Taddy and others on the Peter Beales forum,roses thus labeled are usually Tausendschon...I had it in an overly shady spot, where deer ate it but have moved it to a better spot,so maybe this year I'll be able to see more of what it really is... probably Tausendschon!!!

• WhoDatBe Dare
    2 years ago

Is there such a rose as

RED Banksia Climbing Rose?

• jerijen
    2 years ago

No.