Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llanwenlys

Albertine, Buff Beauty

Llanwenlys
12 years ago

Per request I am including the designation "PNW" in my question to be sure and lure those from this area out to answer:

Anyone grow Albertine? Buff Beauty? Madame Issac Perriere? in our region?

Comments (7)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Not in your region, tho I grow Buff Beauty, and long ago grew MIP.

Jeri

• jeannie2009
    12 years ago

Yes. No, Yes.
    Albertine was planted last sring as a band so it is still a baby. So far no disease issues. Considering the wet cold spring of 2011 that's saying something. I have hi hopes but no true answers.
    MIP...Madamme Isaac Perrier. She is in her thirdk year is is doing well. The blooms are such a deep shade...really nice and the smell is very nice. She does get some blackspot. Not enough to defoliate nor enough to slow down her growth...but she certainly is spotty.
    By the way, I do not spray. Also I am located at the bottom of Puget Sound...Mason County.
    Merry Christmas
    Jeannie

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

I live in a region which has similar conditions to those found in the Pacific North West,west of the Cascades, I lived in Seattlle for 25 years.
    Now I live near the Pacific coast of Northern California where conditons favor p.m. greatly, and blackspot moderatly, and rust during fewest weeks of the year.

My 'Albertine' is the healthiest rose of the three you listed.
    followed by 'Buff Beauty' which shows a fair amount of blackspot afer October, which may not be a problem where you live as the bloom season is shorter further north. I rate my plant of 'Celine Forestier' and Perle d'Or' as being on my "A" list for disease resistance, and Buff Beauty as B+, for comparison of yellow roses.
    Luanne, my neighbor got rid of M.I.P. and I shovel pruned the pink sport of it, M.Ernst Calvat,in my no-spray garden. I miss its' intense fragrance but they both were ridden and riddled with every rose foliage disease, blanketed with powdery mildew during our cool and moist springs, blemished with mildew which I rarely see on roses here, speckled heavily with blackspot during our warmer autumns, and rust in August. I even sprayed it with Cornell in my former garden but it was not worth the effort. We both now grow Grandmothers Hat which is very healthy, here.
    We both grow 'Souvenir du Dr. Jamain' in our no spray gardens and it's among 5 of the healthiest red roses in our gardens among 200+ rose cultivars and species. It is considerably more disease resistant than 'William Shakespeare 2000' grown in the same garden which gets blackspot to a moderate degree here.
    It is now December and the foliage is nearly spotless on Souvenir du Dr. Jamain'.
    W.E. Lippiat' is a gorgeous crimson H.T. that is even more fragrant, and nearly as healthy as s.du Dr. J..
    I hope this is of some help.

Lux

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Lux, our experiences with roses aren't always the same, but in the case of poor Mme. Isaac Pereire, we dovetail.

I have never grown a rose more susceptible to disease here than MIP. Yes, it even blackspotted. The blooms were lovely -- it was in its time my "go-to" rose for English Box entries (and Kim will remind us that it is exactly this sort of rose for which that class of competition was invented) but that was the ONLY way I could show it.

Aside from that, it had scant virtue here, having very stiff canes, with horrible prickles.

Mme. Ernst Calvat was, here, just SLIGHTLY more disease-resistant than her sport parent. I AM glad I grew her, for in the time she was here, some blooms sported wholly or partially back to MIP -- confirming for me the theory that she is a sport, and not a seedling, of MIP.

Regular spraying never helped either of them one bit. And I can't even say their foliage problems were due to our longer growing season, because both rushed into mildew and rust early in the year, which to me is unforgivable.

Jeri in Often Foggy
    (Tho not LATELY!)
    Coastal Ventura Co., SoCal

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

I grow Buff Beauty in Olympia. She does very well, I could easily not spray her at all and I often skip her. No blackspot to speak of. One huge flush in spring, a second smaller one in early fall, IF we get enough heat in summer. This year I did get some rebloom, but last year there wasn't enough heat (the year there was no summer) and she still was sitting on September's flower buds when the big freeze hit right before Thanksgiving. That's also the only year I've gotten any freeze damage on her, and it was minor. I don't winter-protect her. I've had her for over 10 years.

One oddity, the flowers are very fragrant while on the bush, but lose all fragrance when cut.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Re. Buff Beauty:

Years ago, when we were active exhibitors, we entered a REALLY lovely spray of BB at a Fall rose show.

It didn't win the Shrub class, but several people approached us after judging to ask for information on that interesting new Austin . . .

Jeri

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thank you, reg_pnw7 and Jerijen for info. on Buff Beauty. I cross her out my buy list, and get Autumn Sunset instead. Does Autumn Sunset stay fragrant after being cut for the vase, and does it last longer than Austins? Many thanks.