Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primitive_gw

Delphinium seeds

primitive
18 years ago

The tall spires of delphinium are impressive, no argument. Every year when I order seeds from Parks for starting indoors under lights, I always order a packet of delphs, cool them, plant them acording to instructions, but I never in 6 -8 years of trying, ever got one plant. I don't recall ever seeing any signs of a seed ever sprouting in all those efforts. I have had good success with starting many plants but never delphs. Has any one else had any better luck? I don't want to hear about "winter sowing". primitive

Comments (62)

• paul299
    18 years ago

There are a number of different types of Delphiniums.

The large hybrids germinate best under hot conditions- 75-80F.

This is also dependent on the age of the seeds, the seeds slowly go into dormancy with older
    seeds often needing a few weeks of cool moist conditions then warm for germination.

Lightly cover seeds and use F75-80 days and F 50-60 nights, keep medium moist but AVOID
    wetness. 1-3 weeks. Darkness helps with germination. If no germination move to the fridge for
    four weeks (25-39F)

• aadenis
    18 years ago

Thanks hpny2,

Had no luck with Delphinium seeds,did what you did sowed some seeds but put them in my basement where it stays 40 degrees for a month on Feb 15th brought them up and put them under lights and they are coming up, every time I look I see more breaking through,so far out of a 72 cell pack I have 35 plants and still watching. Thanks for your info>>>>>>>>>>>>>aadenis

• joanne77
    18 years ago

I havent had luck with my delphinums. I chilled them, covered them and put them in a cool place according to the package instructions and waited for a month and a half. I had nothing sprout not even one. I always made sure the soil was moist but not too wet. Does anyone know what I did wrong?

• moonphase
    18 years ago

primitive,I have tried all types of seeds and all types of container,Spent a chunk on Parks set up,mat lights,hundreds on seeds and had the biggest flop.I love Delphs and now I have them also Lupine but the only way I was able to get them was grow them in a milk jug and winter sow.I tried everything else and this has given me the flowers of my dreams.I have 266 containers and most are busting out to be planted.
    moonphase

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

pls8xx,
    I've been able to germinate delphiniums but they don't grow so I might try your lime dust trick next time.

• averybird
    18 years ago

Hello, just wanted to say that after reading this thread awhile back I took my WS container of tall Delphiniums and put it in the dark garden shed. My seeds sprouted like a charm! (took 25 days in darkness btw)

I think it is a combination of cold and darkness that these guys need to germinate.

Also, I snagged some seeds from a gorgeous tall purple Delphinium plant growing behind the port-o-pottie at a gift shop/fruit stand we passed on vacation in Oregon last year. These are the seeds that just sprouted. So I can verify that seed collected from your garden is viable.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

• pickwick
    18 years ago

yes,averybird:that's how I do it with Connecticut Yankees... so I should wonder if some of us with this preferred approach per cultivar guidelines (NOT dismissing the input of Paul 299 at all- (i.e)print out the new Guardian Series F1 hybrid notes(Pan American Seed)... or visit Dowdeswell's Delphiniums new updates, might consider building modified (more insulated) outdoor propagating structures like Guy Nearing (Circa1950)....

• pickwick
    18 years ago

additional...I should have noted that Paul has gotten it right for what I grow...>>I avoid excessive heat and "watch media moisture"...at the head of my particular table shared with sanitation....

• phyl345
    17 years ago

i guess this is what's called a bump(????) i'm pretty new so i've been reading alot of old posts. i LOVE this one. PLEASE, will some of you tell me how your delps did this summer; i would especially like to know how those of you who hadn't had success in the past did this summer. i've been pretty UNsuccessful, actually, i DO get a few to germinate BUT then i kill them when i transplant! i understood that larkspur were easier, but i killed them too. i knew they were hard to transplant, but even the ones in peat pots didn't make it. oh, i DO hope some of you see this "bump" and will talk to me!!!! thanks in advance

• pickwick
    17 years ago

hello;if you are keen about this genera,then watch where you obtain your intial stock/seeds from and do your best to be selective about which plants you harvest seed from....(observations from my selected cultivar):
    * may be short viable but I don't refrigerate my seeds-
    *viability decreases with age but I still obtain healthy and a satisfactory germination rates with 3 year old seeds
    *watch media moisture!!
    *use dry seedling mix to cover seeds at the proper depth and then top spray;
    *Sanitation throughout the process:new containers no peatpots
    *consider written cultural notes per cultivar first before moving into personal preferences..
    *be careful with liming without meters; know fundamentals about your irrigation water and fertilizers correlated to your particular growing environment.(i.e.) fertilizer composition,concentration rates and frequency matched with written cultural notes per cultivar...(don't be overzealous with fertilizers)
    goodluck

• jardinerowa
    17 years ago

are peat pots bad for germinating delphiniums?

• pickwick
    17 years ago

hello...imo:I had to work with peat pots thirty five years ago and totally dismiss its usefulness now...(examples): There is difficulty controlling media moisture,might perhaps mold, and will wick out in drought/heat conditions....

• pickwick
    17 years ago

...have messed with this cultivar a good number of years experimenting with its limitations in pot culture and could produce three flushes of flowering in NM for cutflowers for my mission church,messed with different medias,cultural approaches and so on...Don't know why I see difficulty here for this is one plant suitable for window sill growing -on...imo

• phyl345
    17 years ago

what exactly do you mean by "its limitations in pot culture"?? and "suitable for window sill growing" .. in what? how, exactly? i REALLY want to give this another try. larkspur and delphiniums are, more or less, the same, right? aren't larkspurs easier??????phyl

• pickwick
    17 years ago

visiting professional growers,I am able to discern the negative effects of fungicide applications;bumping into too large of a container,at what stage vs.container size one should change to more open media,(messing with variations of media)... effects of different fertilizers/concentration rates ect...
    don't be intimidated for it isn't a difficult plant at the pot stage of production...

• blueheron
    17 years ago

Just wanted to mention that delph seeds must be fresh. Don't buy the seeds on sale at a garden center where they've been sitting around on the rack all summer.

• pickwick
    17 years ago

good advice from a good delphinium grower:blueheron...
    correction:'Genus'from a previous post...

• phyl345
    17 years ago

oh, my aching head.. it's 2:10 a.m....i MUST go to bed. just ONE question, plain & simple, in my area what is the easiest--larkspur?? sorry to be so dense. nite,nite

• pickwick
    17 years ago

imo...for outplanting success:larkspur...for continued learning:Delphinium...again imo...

• phyl345
    17 years ago

allrightythen, larkspur it is. thank you, phyl

• annabellenj
    17 years ago

Just wanted to share my to date fool proof way of germinating delphiniums: Freeze the packet overnight, then plant in moistened sterile seed mix lightly covering seeds. Put on a seed heating mat in a cool room, bottom water as needed, wait a week, and voila! I continue to grow on in a cool room with a fan going nearby. I've been doing this for several years with seeds ordered from Stokes (Pacific Giants). This year, I ordered from Dowdeswells: Pagan Purples and something similar to the gorgeous Morning Light mix they have listed for 2006. Although their website says that it will damage seed to freeze it, I haven't ever seen a problem.

I've been happily astonished by the new Dowdeswells. I planted them in December, transplanted to individual four inch pots in February, and planted them out in April. They sent up huge gorgeous spikes in July and amazingly I still am getting small secondary spikes now at the beginning of November. With the show they've put on, they'd be worth the trouble even if the don't survive the winter, although I do have my fingers crossed, especially at the cost of those seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dowdeswell Delphiniums

• tagrif
    17 years ago

I have many different varieties of Delphs from various sources in my fridge stratifying now. I put the packets in the freezer for several days, then in the moist soiless mix in covered plastic containers. They have been there for at least 2 months and nothing. I've been considering taking them out of the fridge. I'm just not sure to put them under lights in the house, or outside in the yard (today we were to get over 80 degrees though). Or just keep them in the fridge for a nother month or two unless they germinate.

• pennys2006
    17 years ago

hi i live in england and maybe this is the reason why there is such a difference with Delps i throw my seeds in a sowing trap spinkle a little compost roughly over seeds and i now have loads ot least 100 or more i picked out about 80 and have planted them into plug trays the ones i repotted now have true leaves and are really quite big at least 5 or more leaves to each plant and the ones that i left in the main tray are still all alive but arent as big but every plant is at least 7cm tall or more and well larkspur so many i havent even started to move them yet, i thought they were going to be hard to germinate so i put 2 very large seed packs in the tray and they have all come up,if you live closer i would post you some, i hope you have some more luck with them next time although i really cant see what could be causing the hard germination that definatly wasnt the problem i had,Penz

• bindersbee
    17 years ago

I did winter sewing last year for the first time. I hated it. Maybe it's because I worked at a nursery or that I'm some sort of control freak. In any case, it's not for me.

As for delphinium, I've had good success with them but haven't tried them for 5-6 years. I would mix the delph. seeds with sterile white sand and some Captan anti-fungal (which I wouldn't do now that I know it's a bad, bad thing to have inside) and then spread the sand mixture across the top of the flat. I just grew them in a sunny window. I seem to recall getting about 50% germination.

Since I plan on getting the expensive delph. seed from New Zealand this year, I'm really glad to see this thread and will try some of what is mentioned here.

• kellylk
    17 years ago

I have several Delphinium Magic Fountain seeds that have germinated in the dark. I planted them 2 weeks ago and a few days ago some of the seeds have started to grow. They are in my basement which is cool and dark.

When do I move them to the light?

Thanks!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

At the very first sign of germination.

• dougy2040
    16 years ago

How to identify volunteer delphinium seedlings in garden, below and around last years plants?

• drexler
    16 years ago

I love this thread. This year will be my 3rd try with Delphiniums. I only planted them 2 days ago and after reading the thread, I've decided to put them in the bottom of the fridge... I've never had luck with them in the past and hope this is a good move. They were on the plant stand but I followed the instructions on the packet(burpee). I would love to add these to my collection of plants in my garden. I also am trying larksuprs. But, I've put them with other seeds I'm sewing. So, I'll have to see how they turn out.

• shubbach
    16 years ago

HELP! I also have trouble growing from seed. I do know you have to have FRESH seed....it really does make a difference as I could hardly get any to germinate from store bought seed.

I do really well getting them germinated but they die right before getting their first true leaves. I have great luck with plants already started and have NMs in my garden that I bought and they are coming back like gang busters but reading here it seems seed started plants last longer. I want to add that I did use something to help encourage a stronger root and to help prevent damping off..I forgot what it is called though.

I bought some seed from Dowdeswell's last year and I was VERY impressed. I planted a 72 plug tray and everyone came up fast!! I did follow their directions and put them in the fridge for 2 weeks. I DID NOT need any darkness, just sat the tray at the window sill and wow, they sprouted when they said they would...I think it was 10 days -2 weeks.

My problem is they die on me later! Maybe I baby them to much, or perhaps I should plant them in bigger pots? Can anyone give me suggestions. I would love to try more Dowdeswell's but I have to solve my problem first.

Moonphase - I saw you posted something about winter sowing in milk jugs? how do you do this?? Can you give me directions?

Thanks everyone!
    Sarah (Michigan Z5)

• sewobsessed
    16 years ago

Sarah,
    You can look through the Frequently Asked Questions about wintersowing here: FAQ's

The forum for Wintersowing is here (they're a friendly group, so please do join in and ask away!): Wintersowing Forum

And here is a link to Trudi's site (you can request free seeds to try wintersowing from her here): Wintersown.org

Have fun!

• busylizzy
    16 years ago

Years ago I did the refrigerator/freezer thing for delps. Germination rates were low and I don't have an extra refrig for seeds.
    I winter sow them now, higher germ rate for me, plus less work than the refrig method.
    I winter sow alot of hardy perennials making plugs from 3in plastic bathroom cups and place them in a semi clear serlite container, holes on the bottom and 3mil plastic with holes on top held on with binder clips.
    I find this is neater than all those milk jugs and I get 13 different plants in one container that does blow over in the high winds we get.

• shubbach
    16 years ago

Thanks Sewobsessed and busylizzy...
    I just got back from that FAQ site...I think I have been bitten by the bug...now I am sad that winter is over!! :(
    I may try a few seeds for the fun of it...I still have some of those Delphs from NZ in my fridge..they are a year old but who knows maybe it will work. It looks so easy! I am sure I can have success with this method!
    What do you think busylizzy, think anything will grow starting this late??...we are still getting freezes up here in MI..heck it is snowing a little this morning!

• shubbach
    15 years ago

Sewobsessed & busylizzy ~ well those old delph seeds are starting to germinate! And I love growing plants in pop bottles and milk jugs! It is too fun. I looks so forward to getting seed next year! Now keep your fingers crossed that I can get them to grow to adults. I planted several things, Lupine, Marigold, Delph (of course) sweet pea, zinnias, larkspur, and canterbury bells.
    All are doing well! I would say that the Larkspur are the slowest though. Is that normal? They sound so easy to grow.
    What I love about planting them in comtainers like this is you practically never have to water them they stay perfectly moist! I think that is a lot of my problems..they would get to dry or to wet. Thanks for leading me in teh right direction!
    Sarah

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    15 years ago

I am resurrecting this old thread in hopes to find and answer to my question.

I did ws Delphinium and I do have germination and seedlings are happy. They are small.

Is there any special care that they need before planting out and when is the proper time to plant out? Am I waiting for a 2nd set of leaves or for them to grow a bit taller? My last frost date is in a few weeks. I don't want to loose them because they aren't ready to be planted out. Thanks so much! LC Grace

• loris91
    15 years ago

Reading all these posts makes me think I am extremely lucky. I bought a packet of (Pacific Giant?) Delphinium seeds quite a few years ago and they sat in my seed box. 2 years ago I put some in my 'experimental' garden, no special attention, and they bloomed the next spring. I moved them to the front yard and they are doing good; this year they are almost 3 feet tall and still blooming.

• lily51
    14 years ago

this is my first year growing from seeds...i bought Park seeds, started them the beginning of Feb (maybe a little late)
    Sprinkked seed in flats, wrapped flat with a black trash bag and sat in my cool back porch about a week. Nothing. then brought them in to the kitchen counter still wrapped up..uncovered them as soon as they germinated. Transplanted into packs in March and will transplant into pots this week.
    We'll see what happens after that.

• honnat
    12 years ago

I had to resurrect this thread as I have read through it a few times in my attempt with delphiniums this year. I purchased Delphinium grandiflorum (summer clouds) from Swallowtail. I did EXACTLY as they suggested since I knew these were pesky little things that didn't always want to come. I put them between damp paper towels in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Then, I put them in a 6 pack seed tray with moist seed starting mix and put them in a dark corner of my basement inside of a large Ziploc back (not sealed). I covered them with a light towel and waited...waited...I checked them everyday (sometimes 2-3 times per dayâ¦) and was about to give up. I was afraid I had watered them too much to start out with. They never seemed to dry out and I hadnâÂÂt even sprinkled them since planting. Even though itâÂÂs only been 18 days, I literally was ready to start some more this morning because I figured they werenâÂÂt going to make it. Before I did that, I figured I check one more time. They were sprouting like mad!! They neighbors might have heard me hooting and hollering in my basement. I moved them under my lights and am hoping I can keep them alive.

• radiantpoppy
    12 years ago

HAHA! So the plan is to plant a bunch of seeds this year. I have some of them in but not all. It is the end of March. I used to do the starting indoors thing with heated grow mats and grow lights, etc etc but this year I just waited and planted outdoors. So far I have planted lettuce, green wizard rudbeckias, coleus, romanesco cauliflower, and delphiniums. Everything is sprouting except the delphiniums. I moved them behind a bush because everyone is saying that darkness is good for them. It is not terribly hot out yet and they get exposed to the cool night temperatures. Also, all of my seed packets were stored in the freezer. I have never had issues with freezer storage and it seems to keep things good indefinitely. I am just wondering if what I am doing with the delphs is enough. I could move them to the garage but I almost think that this would be worse than the bush because of the lack of air circulation. I have thought about using the fridge but I have a roommate and I don't know if he would be crazy about this, plus everything in there isn't always fresh and I am not sure what kinda spores might land in the dirt. Opinions are welcome. I am a little partial to just leaving them behind the bush though. I will let you all know what happens either way.

• radiantpoppy
    12 years ago

Well. Only two days later and I am seeing my first delphinium sprout. It seems that sticking them behind the bush is working.

• User
    12 years ago

Hi RadiantPoppy - what are the daytime / night time temperatures in which the delphiniums sprouted at? I'm in zone 5 (Canada) and have some sprouting in the dark. I'm curious about your outside conditions.

This is an excellent thread - one worth adding too.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• organic_greenjeans
    11 years ago

Yes, this is an excellent thread! I found it this winter & learned a lot. I've grown delph's for years, but never from seed. This year I tried the Wintersown method with the container enclosed in a black plastic bag until germination was well underway. My seedlings are now looking good, and still seeing germination with the cover off.

I did notice yesterday though that the Pacific Giant seedlings are looking a little mottled, almost virusy looking, so I applied a light fertilizer & will see if they look any different in the next few days. They didn't appear nutrient deficient, so don't know whether that's the issue or not. Anyone have ideas about this?

• organic_greenjeans
    11 years ago

I'm beginning to wonder whether this forum, and a couple FB garden pages I've joined are worth the time. My posts, questions, ideas and/or suggestions seem to get zero response. I can see now why I've seen posts by others who've left for similar reasons. Very frustrating, and when one feels excluded from a group, a bit hurtful too...

• MuddShuvel
    11 years ago

I will agree that this is a great thread. I was a bit discouraged to say the least after my first two searches on this site for Tulip Trees and Royal Empress Paulownia took me to forums that were so off topic one even strayed to the subject of the frivolent use of the term nazi and how it devalued the something or other... wwII... I had to skip 10 pages before I could find something about a tree again. Glad to see not every forum has been turned into some righteous stand against something. I appreciate everyones helpful advice but I will not be using this site as my go-to for info.

• osubuckeye
    10 years ago

I sowed delphinium seeds into the organic seed trays with seed starter mix back in March. I put them just under the surface. They didn't germinate until I bottom watered, top watering wasn't enough to get them going.

They were tough to keep alive, the seedlings were very fragile in comparison with other plants that I started at the same time. They liked support and they didn't like harsh weather, too much wind, rain or sun and they would look sad. After moving them outside in the end of May, they really took off and I got some flowers this week.

I planted a few cultivars and they grew differently, the ones that got big right away have flowered with nice purple and white flowers. It looks like they're dying a little after I moved them into the bed. The leaves are turning yellow on one of the flowering plants and a similar type just totally turned yellow and wilted. These were the biggest at time of moving so maybe their roots got damaged when I removed them from the tray. Also the bed may be too shady. Most of the others are looking great, green and lush. I'll post up some pictures if anyone wants to see what they looked like at germination or how they look now.

• ddny64
    6 years ago

I put mine in peat pots then in a large rubber tub then covered tub with a black trash bag .. mine are starting to sprout now .

I have a pump sprayer that is great for misting seeds ..

• kfless
    6 years ago

Can someone explain why seeds from a parent plant in your garden won't produce a true plant? My Delphineum died this Spring, but thankfully, I had seeds from it and now have five tiny plants I'm trying to grow with hopes of putting them out this fall. I'm hoping to recreate the original plant I lost. I never new the name of it and have never seen its like at local garden centers. It was my thought that seeds from it would produce the same plant. I'm getting paranoid that they won't be blue like my old one and I don't understand why that would be. If you know, please inform me. Thanks!

• kfless
    6 years ago

Also, these are my plants, they look terrible. I sowed late Spring. I know wrong time. They live outside 24/7. During the day they are in full sun on a table. At night, on a grill beside the house, to be protected from rain. Any advice on how to get them into a heathlier state? I bottom water with distilled water+ diluted fish fertilizer. I spray leaves with distilled water+diluted hydrogen peroxide, b/c I was experiencing some damping off or gray mold-I think. I'm worried they won't make it. When are they ready for the garden?

• Loretta NJ Z6
    6 years ago

You may get the same color as the parent plant but they may also display some other genetic heritage just like not all kids from the same parents look alike.

• ddny64
    6 years ago

Delphinium seed should be covered . Press seed into mix ...do not cover with mix ... keep seed moist ... cover with black trash bag ... they will sprout .

• T. Tran
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just got 20 delphinium seeds from Dowdeswell in the mail. Can I start them now?

For clarification, I live in New England, USA, Z6. It is midsummer here and we have less than 3 months to first frost.

My plan is to have seedlings that can be kept in an unheated sun room in the winter, to be planted out in the spring. Has anyone done this and what was your experience?