Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many seeds per plant/variety?

Posted by backyardfarmener none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 1, 12 at 1:40

How many seeds are you supposed to use per plant/variety?
The seed packets never specify and I even spent 30 on the western garden book to find out that the information wasn't in there either. I am going to be growing a lot of the flowers used by florists. Last year I tried with bachelor button and cosmos but ended up with a lot of bouquet shrub looking plants, so this makes me think I over seeded? SOme help wold be great! HNY 2012!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many seeds per plant/variety?

Are you seeding directly in the ground? How do you intend to use your flowers? I start mine in containers and transplant up to four inch containers before planting in the garden,but I am doing mostly perennials. Al

o
RE: How many seeds per plant/variety?

I'm not sure I understand your question. One seed grows one plant. Two seeds don't grow one plant and one seed doesn't grow five plants.

Are you asking how many plants a person should have of each variety? That's entirely up to you.

Or maybe you're asking how far apart you should space each plant? The seed packets will tell you that. Keep in mind, not every seed is going to germinate and the germination rate is different for every plant. If you're direct seeding, plant a few more than you want in the end and thin out the ones that are too close together. If you're starting them indoors, again, plant a few more seeds than the number of plants you want and see how many come up; toss the excess or pot them up and give them away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here