Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pieris japonica from seed

Posted by w1ldflower (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 3:35

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone has experience growing Japanese Andromeda/Lily of the Valley Bush from seed and could offer some advice on what the most successful method, if any, was? I have collected the seed pods but to be honest am not even sure at this point which part is actually the seed. My web search produced results telling me they were tiny. If anyone has pics to post that would be helpful also. Very much appreciate any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pieris japonica from seed

Lightly cover the seed. Soil temperature for germination 65-70F & takes 30-70 days to germinate. & Yes the seed's are very small

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 10:21

These can be surface sown, or very lightly covered as mentioned above, light may be beneficial to germination. Sow as per rhododendron but expect to take the 30-70 days

Small and oddly shaped seed

Here is a link that might be useful: Pieris seed photo

o

Any recommendations/suggestions for when to harvest seeds? My neighbor planted one of these and I watched it all year, waiting for seed pods. As of the end of December, they still didn't look ripe enough to harvest. We'd both like more of these plants and I'd be happy to winter sow the seeds if I could figure out how/when to harvest. Thanks for any help.

o

I started some a month ago and am glad to hear they will take another month possibly, to germinate. I am keeping them at 70 degrees, so will just be patient. Al

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 19:04

Gardenweed, I just went out and took a look at my own - and was surprised to see flowering stems forming already :) It's been in the 20's every night for a week, cold for us and second time this season.

Seeds should ripen about the same time as rhododendron in your area, anywhere between Aug-Oct depending on how early it bloomed. I deadheaded, but not precisely, there are still a few very brown clusters of pods here and there. Most of those have opened or at least partially opened and contain few seed.

I suppose there is a chance weather played a part in the one you were watching and time from bloom to hard frost possibly wasn't long enough for ripe seed to form. Summer drought will sometimes delay seed set too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here