Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiphereth

Carnation falling over 'not Damping off'

tiphereth
12 years ago

Hello

I sowed few seeds of Giant Carnation "Dianthus caryophyllus" and Sweet William...

I had good germination rate and the seedlings are growing many leaves but they can not hold themselves up...they keep falling over...no sign of damping off and i have not lost one seedling so far...they are 3 weeks old now and i keep them under HPS bulbs 400W and i keep the bulb not too close to burn them or too far to develop leggy seedlings...and the temp inside the growing room is around 65-68 F..

I grow Lupin/Vinca/Stock/Straw flower/Datura/Larkspur/Pansy/Verbena/Alyssum/Daisy in the same room and they are doing great...the bulb is at the same distance from the others.

I got them all tied up againt wooden sticks but once they grow taller they start falling over again...

They do not get stronger...

I really want to figure out what they need and provide it to them...

It makes me sad seeing them like that

Please Help

Heba

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

My carnations lay on the ground their whole life, not just as seedlings, that seems to be their normal growth. Al

• tiphereth
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hello calistoga...
    how about their blooms? do they have strong stalks?

Thank you,
    Heba

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

Growing Carnations : A Beginners Guide To Growing Carnations, would lead one to believe that almost anyone can grow carnations with no problems. They do admonish not to over-water and they say carnations require 4-5 hours of direct sunlight. Falling over but not damping off sounds like too little light and too much water but that is wild conjecture on my part.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Another thought, how warm are you growing them? Cooler conditions - with some types seedlings - will help produce slower but sturdier plants.

But FYI - The last time I grew perennial carnations, from seed my sis brought home from a friends in Germany so she had an emotional attachment to them :), they did not toughen up and become strong until I put them outside in natural light earliest Spring

• tiphereth
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Albert for the link...I keep the lights on for 12+ hours and for the watering...they actually hardly dry out (no heat/no wind) but my potting mix has excellent drainage...i keep it moist but not waterlogged...

Hey morz...the temp ranges from 48F to 63F...do you think they can handle maybe moving the pots outside in natural sunlight? and i can move them back at night...
    p.s.: one of hyacinth bulbs is blooming outside right now :)

My sister brought me these seeds too...but from spain :)...i hope they will toughen up by spring like yours

Thank you,
    Heba

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

My Dianthus will do best if I can find a location with more sun. The sprawling stems do turn up and produce blooming stems good for cutting. The stems on the ground will often grow their own roots, and can be cut off the mother to make more plants. Al

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

48-63 outside temps in your location? I just saw you are in Egypt in looking for your gardening zone.

They would be fine outside if your days are that warm - how are your night time temperatures this time of year?

But if you have had them inside, even under lights, be sure to acclimate them to hours of natural light gradually, do not put them into 'real' sun and wind all at once. Gradually increase their exposure, no more than an hour the first day.

• tiphereth
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Night time temp around 44F...and actually people around here are talking how it is really cold these days...

I think it is close to california's weather over there in the states?...i always check this zone for gardening info..

it is kind of windy these days..i will wait for the end of the month and then i will start to introduce them gradually to the big sun...

thank you morz...i will send you pictures of my babies when they bloom :)