Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally bought my seeds yesterday!

Posted by mandolls 4WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 8:55

I have been taking inventory of leftover seed, going through seed catalogs and roaming on-line for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I finally put together my orders. Even with lots of seed left from last year, I spent $100.00. It seems like a lot of money. It was probably 1/3 flower seed and 2/3 vegetable, and I know it is a lot less than if I was still buying transplants at the local greenhouses.

This year I dont think I will have to buy anymore lights, or lumber for more raised beds as I have the past three years, so I think my year total expenditures will be way down, but I think I need to learn to start harvesting seeds.

I am curious as to how many of you regularly save seed from your gardens for the next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally bought my seeds yesterday!

Seed saving is low on my list of priorities. Biennials like carrot and beet don't make sense for a small scale gardener - it's have to leave plant in the ground for a second year, wasting space. And squash varieties interbreed promiscuously, so I'd have to put in the work of doing controlled pollinations. I'll be saving seed from my open pollinated tomatoes and peppers, but that's it.

o
RE: Finally bought my seeds yesterday!

I dont save seed because i desire seed with a wide range of disease resistance. But that is just me? & at 75 I am not about to change
If you are looking for advice go the the seed saving forum & heritage seed/plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here