Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoors vs Outdoors

Posted by loribee2 CA 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 12, 11 at 9:09

I've got a flat of broccoli, cabbage and bok choi seedlings that just sprouted. It's time to get them under the light, but I'm at a quandary. I have a shop light set up in my garden shed, with timers all set to give these little seedlings 15 hours of light a day. But on the flip side, I also have one of those little mini greenhouse shelves (think 4-high shelf covered in plastic) outside my garden shed, facing southern exposure. Our daytime temps over the next couple weeks are expected around 60, nights low to mid 40s and ranging from sun to partly cloudy to chance of showers. The shed is unheated so the temps would be about the same either place.

I think the seedlings will get stronger light outdoors. But they'll get longer light under the lights. So which would you choose?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoors vs Outdoors

Take a wild guess at which offers more overall light(I know man),but it's the truth. Or split your flats 2 to 1. The 2 maybe on your best hunch. Then monitor and adjust.

o

Outdoors!!

o

I go with outdoors also. Actually, true outdoors, not inside a GH. They will get as much of the light they use in photosynthesis in eight hours outside as they will in 15 hours from grow lights, even if the light levels (Lux or Foot candle measurements) are the same. Plus, they will get to experience wind, something that is really quite valuable in the long run. You can always move them inside of a night or if the weather conditions are not favorable.

Mike

o

I am in your zone and your seeds are usually planted in the fall. These will do very well outside, in the open without shade. If the weather gets warm before they are ready they will bolt to seed, which is why they are started much earlier, normally. Al

o

Thanks for the input! Yes, I've got fall-planted broccoli and cabbage still growing, as well as some winter sown. In my foggy spot, I should be able to get an early spring crop in as our temps don't really heat up until June. At least...that's the plan. I'll see what Mother Nature has in store. If it's anything like last year, I could have grown broccoli all the way to September!

o

These are all cool weather plants. There is no reason why a california grower should even consider growing them indoors. Even the warmth of an unheated greenhouse should not be necessary. You would only want to start these plants indoors where you experience subfreezing temperatures for several months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here