Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Al's Mix for seed starters

Posted by Peaceful_Warrior 7A GA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 9:54

It looks like many people use Al's mix for container gardening. Do people also use Al's Mix for seed starters?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Al's Mix for seed starters

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 11:01

I haven't tried it for seed starting, I wonder if you wouldn't find it a little coarse. The qualities of a germinating medium are fine and uniform, well-aerated and lightweight. Also of low fertility and be capable of holding and moving moisture easily since unlike plant roots, the seeds need consistent uniform moisture. I'm sure there are exceptions of types of seed, but for many, that means a peat based product for germinating, then different conditions for growing on young plants in containers.

o

So, is there a home made seed starter soil that anyone around here has come up with like Al's mix? I'm looking to avoid using any of the commercial mixes like Jiffy, MG, etc.

o

I am starting seeds in the greenhouse to be transplanted from a community pot into sixpacs. I am growing ornamentals that vary a lot in germination times and temperatures. Only one variety is planted in a community pot, varieties are never mixed. Most starting soils I use are 50% peat and 50% vermiculite, but for some seeds I will use about a third bark fines or perlite. I never buy a seed starting mix, they all have something I dislike, sometimes the cost. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here