Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil block makers

Posted by hoover67 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 10:21

I am looking at the soil block makers for starting seeds. I want to start my own seeds. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they better than starting them in the traditional flats? Is "air pruning" really better?

Also, since I have your attention, I have another question. My husband has drained his 50 gallon aquarium. I was thinking I could put my seedlings in there under grow lights. I plan on putting the soil blocks into trays and setting them in the tank. It may keep them more moist. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil block makers

i have not tried the soil block makers but soil blocks work well so it sounds good. i cant recomend the newspaper pot makers.tried that and the seedlings didnt grow and eventualy turned yellow.i suspect denitrifying bacteria feeding on the paper was the cause
as to the 55 i fear you would have trouble with mold and fungus.i use one of my many tanks as a rooting tank filled part way with lite soil. any and every cutting goes in there befor it goes to the compost. many that are eager rooters survive and i think more would make it if i used rooting hormones.but i keep a fairly large hole open in the lid at each end for air and mist daily

o

I ordered one last week. I really want to like it so I hope it works out. I will be starting my stuff much later than I am used to as I always jump the gun.

o

I have a small one I made, it is 1 1/4 inch round diameter by 1 1/4 inch tall. This is my second year using it. Right now I am starting a few trial seeds in worm castings, so far so good for lettuce and Tatsoi. Anyway I used it last year and liked the ease of transplanting. Just dibble a hole and drop in the block then water. I don't know about all plants doing better with blocks but the small seeded were fun. Make sure you practice, you need the soil the right consistency. Watering was different than 72's for me. I just placed them in flats without starter pots and sprayed sparingly with a small hand unit.

Curt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here