Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leanne47_gw

mail order seeds

leanne47
9 years ago

I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co . Territorial Seed was great I got my order in less than 10 days. Seeds are all popping up inside . The GURNEY SEED are still not here and the company will not or cannot tell me how they were shipped. ?...Customer no service cannot tell me why the link to track the order doesn't work. No wonder they want me to order a year in advance.....takes them that long to deliver.

Comments (10)

• puzzlefan
    9 years ago

I haven't ordered from Gurneys for many years because of the poor quality of seeds and customer service. Another past favorite also gone, Park Seeds. Their shipping cost for two packets of seeds, I consider unreasonable.

• garystpaul
    9 years ago

I recommend Swallowtail Garden Seeds, Stokes, Jung, and Specialty Perennials (hardy plants.com), All have been reliable for me. I second the suggestion by morz8 to check out Garden WD for ratings.

Gary

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

I highly suggest checking out ebay! I thought it would be a bit risky ordering from them but it's basically like seed swapping except you're paying them.

I've gotten almost all of my seeds from ebay this year and have had excellent germination and have not gotten anything incorrectly labeled. Lots of seeds generally which makes it nice for sharing and swapping as well. Shipping is also extremely fast w/ ebay users and they tend to care more about your feedback than large companies like gurneys.

I have never ordered seeds from gurneys but had a terrible experience w/ their plants last year, they sent me the wrong order originally and then when they resent my real order the plants were dead, small, and pathetic for the amount I paid. $16.99 for one daylily and the root was the size of a small grape. Will never order from them again.

Michaela

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

This year I tried The Sample Seed Shop. Amazing. they say small amount of seeds but I got the same amount for a lot less money. And they were fast.

kim

• tanyuu
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Be careful when ordering through ebay or amazon. While there are seed sellers that are reputable, there are some that scam you by using photoshopped images and/or giving you seeds to a completely different plant. Since reviews need to be left within a month or two, most buyers leave a good review before they are able to grow their seeds and discover they've been scammed. If you see a vendor have listings for colors of plants that seem impossible, like blue strawberries or blue coneflowers, stay away!

There's also well-meaning seed sellers who unknowingly collect from varieties of plants that do not produce 'true' seeds. For example, I once bought seeds for a new type of coreopsis that was red and white. When they actually flowered, they were yellow.

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

I used Gurney's this year. They used regular mail and it took a little longer than my other seed orders to be delivered but they still arrived around the two week window. I am sure your package was sent usps so they can't track it. I use all kinds of seed companies. I typically go with the cheapest I can find. In fact I have found that a lot of the Amazon companies sell high quality seed for two bucks or less with no shipping cost.

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

Your post was 1/24. Did you receive your seeds? If not, how did you pay? If you paid by credit card, file with the credit card as merchandise never received.

• idloveamocha
    9 years ago

I've has good luck with Summer Hill Seeds. Shipping is fast and their selection is nice.

• missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
    9 years ago

I've had lots of luck with ebay....but it's best to stick with the sellers who have !0,000+ ratings and a 99.9% positive rating