Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islewalker

I forgot what I planted!

IsleWalker
11 years ago

Anyone--

I am trying all kinds of seeds at the same time--bing cherry (got a seedling), mangos, Cavendish banana seeds--and I am confused about what is coming up.

I first got reddish-tinted little plants which I think are mangos. Here is an older one and what I thought was the young seedling. The leaves are reddish and get green when they are more mature.

But then this thing--yellow with a stamen--is coming out of the actual mango seed, so it HAS to be a mango. But it is entirely different than the other plants. All were grown from mangoes from the store.

Is it possible one of these is a banana plant? I look them up and they don't look like this. I know what the bing cherries look like.

I'm so confused!! What a lam-o! I'd appreciate any feedback. Of course I can just wait 5 years and see!~

IsleWalker - Lora

Comments (10)

• IsleWalker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

P.S. Here is a pic of what the other "mango" seedlings looked like. They are compact little plants with a reddish tint on the edges of the leaves. As they get older, the reddish leaves turn green. This is the description I get for mangoes, but then what is this stamen-looking thing above that is actually still attached to the mango seed?

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I can't see the first one very well but it looks like a mango sprout. The 'stamen' is the shoot. (Stamens are parts of a flower, not a seedling)

The second is none of the fruit you mentioned. It looks like a seedling of a Fabaceae (Pea family) plant. Something on the lines of Mimosa pudicans. Do the leaves shut at night? Do they shut when you touch them? I suspect a stray seed in the sowing mix.

• IsleWalker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flora UK--

Thanks for your post. I will look up the Fabaceae you mentioned. This other picture is what the little red-tinged seedling looks like grown. It does not shut at night, nor retract when touched. Stray seed does sound entirely possible since the pots have been out all winter and we've had lots of wind and rain. I keep remembering seeing these things when I weed the yard, but I can't remember what it might be. We have palm (not that)and eucalyptis (don't think that's it). This is a semi-arid island (Southern California).

I looked up the Fabaceae family--nothing looks familiar. The small seedling has these red-edges of the leaves even when very small.

Thanks again. I can always wait a few years and see what it is!

Lora

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Once you have some true leaves formed you should be able to ID them. But I do agree with Flora that at this point the one pic sure does look like Mimosa seedlings and I sprout many of them each year.

Next time plant tags in the pots, right? :)

Dave

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Lora - the little seedling in the lower pot in your first post is never going to grow into the healthy young plant in your second picture. If you look at the little one it has PINNATE leaves. The healthy youngster does not. The leaf pattern cannot change so they are different plants. Compare the baby with this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mimosa seedling

• IsleWalker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave--

Yeah, plant tags. My problems started when I put multiple things in the same pot!

Flora--I thought I posted yesterday but I agree with you that it is a pinnate. And I lied--it does close up when the sun goes down.

I am a little surprised in that I can only think of one mimosa plant in town (1 sq mile) and the rest (88%)of the island is conserved land where only indigenous stuff grows. I did buy the potting soil from the mainland, so I suppose it could have come over like that.

So--the 4-5" plant is not a mango either? Any ideas what it is? It's leaves are reddish and get green when they mature.

I took a better picture of the little "mimosa" seedling.

Thanks Dave, Flora for your help.

Lora

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hi again Lora - I didn't mean to imply that the healthy youngster in your 3rd picture is not a mango. As you probably realise mangoes don't feature much in the UK landscape so I am only familiar with vague memories from trips to the tropics and a single one I grew years ago from a seed (and which definitely had red new growth). Based on that slight experience I would say the larger youngster is very possibly a mango.

• IsleWalker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flora,

Thanks again. I just find this whole thing so confusing because when this 3rd picture plant grew, it didn't look anything like the first picture. I suppose that part could have been underground and I just didn't see it.

In either case, I'll let them all grow. The "mimosa" will be a mystery to see what it is. The one I've seen on the island has wonderful purple flowers that look like exploding fireworks. That'd be pretty cool!

Thanks for your expertise. 5-8 years and I should have some mangoes!

Lora

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Which island, Lora?

• IsleWalker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flora--

It's Catalina Island (technically Santa Catalina Island)--off southern coast of California. Kind of high dessert/ semi-tropical. Good for growing things grown in Spain, Italy--like figs, olives, etc. I thought lavender would be perfect here but haven't had much luck keeping them going. May be my fault--or too dry. We only get about 13" of rain a year, if lucky, all in Nov-Feb.

Where are you in SW UK?

Lora