Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rare Seeds website

Posted by shuss3539 CT (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 11:33

Hey guys/gals, I was just wondering, do you know of any website that offers rare and exotic seeds but is also a trustworthy site? I would like to make a few purchases but I want it to be from a good website, any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rare Seeds website

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 11:58

For a wider range of some of those that can be hard to find, try Chilterns. I order from them every year...

Plant World Seeds of Devon is another you can trust.

Gardens North is one of the few suppliers who will store and ship seeds moist packed for those varieties that lose or have viability diminished if allowed to dry out.

None of these are US suppliers, but all are sources I've found to be reliable, sending seeds with good germination percentages.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chiltern Seeds UK

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 12:17

Trade Winds Fruit carries many rare tropical fruit and ornamental seeds, along with an extensive variety of unusual pepper, tomato and vegetable seeds. They also carry unusual temperate fruit seeds and heirloom flower seeds. I have ordered from them several times and am happy with both customer service and germination results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade Winds Fruit

o

try rareseeds.com

o

I like to order rare, exotic, tropical seeds, too. The companies I have had good luck with include:

Smart Seeds (smartseedstore.com), and they also have a store on eBay;

Ecrater has a lot of very unusual tropical, but her seeds are expensive - fun to look, though -http://centerofthewebb.ecrater.com/c/442052/rare-exotic;

Summer Hill Seeds has some great offerings, too, at summerhillseeds.com;

Butterfly World in Florida sells tropical seeds, too - butterflyworld.com; choose "Gift Shop" to access seed list;

Silver Hills Seeds (they are in Capetown, S.Africa, but several folks from the USA report very good experiences);

Onalee Seeds sells several tropical seeds and she has nothing but fantastic reviews.

The sources I mention are ones I have had very good results with, and the others have good reviews and ratings on "that other website"......

Susan

o

Anyone tried Pinetree Garden Seeds ?

Seeds seem cheaper but unsure if they are good quality or how the germination rate would be.
THanks,
Penny

o

Trading is the best way to get exotic seeds. Contact people who have trade lists in Florida and California. Also, the 'other' site has 'Plant Files' that you can look at and get ideas for cool plants and seeds.

Do a google.com search for Florida zip codes, then go to the member pages, at the bottom of this page, and set up trades with them.

Many of us will send seeds for postage, enough for you to make a nice trade list.

To get you started, here are some zip codes for Florida:

http://www.mongabay.com/igapo/zip_codes/FL.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida zip codes

o

Half century ago, literally, a mail order place called Hudson was the rare seed destination of choice. I've not checked if the still exist.

o

Albert, J.L.Hudson, Seedsman still exists and offers a fantastic assortment. Most packets are $2.50.

o

Yes I have to agree seed trading is fun and inexpensive if you just have to pay postage. I hope to be on here daily depending how much work gets done around in the house! I love to be outside and right now it is so humid, here is Dallas, I did find a couple of good healthy worms while picking up leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here