Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting to early

Posted by jduren 5 MO. (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 11:52

What problems will encounter is I decide to start some annual seeds earlier than required? I would like to try and germinate some seeds to get some practice but don't want to lose any because of it either..thx Jack

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting to early

Problems will depend on your set up and the specific varieties but be realistic and don't expect 100% success.

Too warm an environment and/or too little light will result in long lanky transplants with weak stems that won't survive for long. But it is a good way to learn how to control your temps and supplemental lighting. Likely no blooms unless you have extreme sun exposure or adjust the light spectrum used.

You may also have to do more than the usual 2-3 transplants - pot-ups - to larger containers and more potting mix. They will also require more nutrient supplements, water, and light. It is a good way to learn the symptoms of root-bound plants and to learn how to evaluate nutrient and water needs for the trade off of buying more containers and potting mix.

Eventually some of the plants may get so large that they won't survive hardening off and transplanting to the garden.

So it's a trade-off: learning and experience for loss of some plants and the work involved.

Hope this helps.

Dave

o
RE: Starting to early

Everything helps DigDirt and thx. I talked to the annual seed grower at the nursery I deal with and he gave me a lot of insight but because they time there annuals for the season early birding wasnt available. He said the biggest challenge will be going indoors to outside and care must be taken.

I have a double window on the southeast and temperatures there range from 65 at night to 80 during the day if I adjust the blinds..Jack

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here