Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixvern

burpee seeds

sixvern
12 years ago

Letting off air. I bought two packs of impatiens and i opened them up to plant and got the Burpee ripoff. i thing anyway.

There were only 7 seeds per pack of hybrid strawberry impatiens seed. Is this what i can expect from Burpee seed co?

out of air

vern

Comments (15)

• t-bird
    12 years ago

they are so overpriced, compared to other seed company - I never buy from them

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I don't know what their germination rates or quantities are any more, I've refused to buy from anything owned by George Ball for years now...not so much his products as the way he conducts business.

But I'm sorry you are disappointed in your seeds, hate to see that if something you were looking forward to.

• t-bird
    12 years ago

Maybe try calling and complaining - perhaps they may send you soemthing to pacify you?

I mean honestly - 7 seeds - you could have bought a eight pack already flowering from homedepot and save yourself the trouble - probably for the same price....

• sixvern
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I started 3 more packs today and one had 3 seeds in it and the last 2 backs had 4 seeds in them.
    so i wrote burpee seed co.
    all done with burpee seeds
    vern

• RexAnne
    12 years ago

sounds crazy, how much did they should be in them in the catalog?

RexAnne

• noinwi
    12 years ago

I just did a quick search of their website and most impatiens seeds were $4.95 for anywhere from 20 to 30 seeds. That's about $.25 per seed(a pack of 20). They may package fewer seeds for local retailers, if that's where you got them. Did it cost more than $1.75? Still, it's a rip and you should call or email them to complain.
    I won't buy their seeds unless it's a particular variety or hybrid I can't get anywhere else.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Wow that's insane. People should start alerting other gardeners on Facebook and twitter. That's a ripoff. I'm a bit surprised.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

People should start alerting other gardeners on Facebook and twitter. That's a ripoff. I'm a bit surprised.

There really is quite a bit of "avoid this vendor" info out there already. It's been steadily going downhill for several years now.

Dave

• zen_man
    12 years ago

I guess I have been lucky. I have purchased Burpee seeds every year for the last seven years, and never had a bad experience. I will be sending Burpee an order again this year. It will include an order for some zinnia seeds and some more of Burpee's seedless tomatoes, which have been my favorite tomato ever since they were introduced a few years ago.

ZM

• andyinnyc
    12 years ago

Since I'm always the first to complain, I thought I'd throw in a compliment.

My Burpee orders have always been correctly filled with correct quantites. One year they packaged the seeds in with my tomato cages and I reported to them that they were an envelope of seeds short. They sent out the new seeds, no questions asked, and I later found the 'missing' seeds wedged behind a fold in the cardboard.

Last year, after ordering sweet potatoes I decided that I really wanted a long season, regular potato. They changed my order without any issues.

The issues you are having, however, have nothing to do with customer service - they are in production (ie putting seeds in envelopes). I would be VERY surprised if you called them to find that they wouldn't ship you out new envelopes of seeds given the short count in what you received.

Good luck.

Andrew

• melfield_wy
    12 years ago

I quit buying from Burpee a couple years ago. Poor customer service, in my experience, and way overpriced for what you got. Just my $.02.

• sixvern
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Burpee seed said that there should have been a lot more seed in each pack, so they were going to send replacements and should be here in 7 to 10 days.Now this is a company that does not need any bad feelings.
    So Ill try them again next year.
    vern

• ola123
    12 years ago

I used burpee seeds last year they grew fine under a grow light. This year i'm trying the milkjug idea, for outside.I'll let you know how it works.

• moonphase
    12 years ago

I love Burpee seeds.I have spent alot of money on seeds through the years and my worse experience was with Park seeds.I have bought Burpee seeds for the last 7 yrs. and I have never been disappointed in anything,
    I wintersow hundreds of seeds and with Burpee,I always have 100% germination rate.I believe Burpee will make it right for you Vern.I already have lots of their seeds and will be ordering more.I do hope you will give Burpee the benifit so any new comers won't just write them off by your experience.

• Elizabethm123
    11 years ago

I too got stiffed by Burpee. I ordered $180 worth of seeds and plants. When I took my seeds out to plant them, (on all packs) were way off the number that was suppose to be in the pack..Like one of the pack was suppose to be 1200 seeds, there were only between 300-400 seeds. I was suppose to get 2 rubarbs I got 1. Painted daisy was suppose to be 75 seeds..There were 5 seeds..I will never order from them again..My mom had order several seed packs and they were all off too..Her cucumber seed pack was empty..She called and complained..They did nothing..SO save your money and buy at home depot,lowes and local co-ops...They will RIP YOU OFF at Burpee.. Sorry just had to put it out there to hopefully save someone else disappointment and money.