Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lantanascape

Super Sprouter Heat Mat

lantanascape
14 years ago

Hi, just wanted to get some opinions before I order. The Super Sprouter heat mat is the only one I can find that is 12x48" so that I can put two trays end to end to fit under 48" shop lights. But, is it a good product? Hydrofarm seems to have the market cornered, but the HF mat I had died after the first season, so I'm not chomping at the bit to get another one of those, not to mention that their 2-tray mats are 20x20 square, so they won't work with my lights.

Comments (7)

• homegrown54
    14 years ago

I'm not sure of this particular brand, but do have a word of caution for you. I think they're pretty much all the same. If this one has a thermostat, that wold be GREAT! In my case, I found that a mat directly on the bottoms of cell packs, or packs on a thin 'saucer' to water from the bottom to prevent damping off, has a bit too much heat. I take an old metal grid shelf from a refrigerator and put it in between, allowing about a half inch of 'space' between the mat and the soil packs. At this stage, with the heat at the bottom and the lights tight on the top, dang things dry out so fast, I have lost sprouts which pop up overnight and are immediately parched. That's my 2 cents' worth for what it is worth! Best of luck. Homegrown.

• lantanascape
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, good advice! There is a thermostat available, and it says that up to 10 mats can be "daisy chained" so I'm thinking that means they'd all operate off one thermostat. I probably won't buy the thermostat this year, but will in the future.

Good advice about giving the mat a bit of air space. My greenhouse shelves are wire, so would probably work well if I have my seedlings out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Super Sprouter 12x48

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

My mat is not that warm. You can put your hand on it and barely feel heat. The instructions that came with it said not to put it on metal but on cardboard or styrofoam to reflect the heat back. I've had mine for 5 years. I don't know the maker. My son bought it at Lee Valley, for me as a Christmas present.

I store it flat on the cardboard I cut to go under it. I think the storage is the big secret to do with them lasting.

• lantanascape
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bumping this up... anyone have experience with this heat mat brand? I haven't ordered yet, but need to soon!

• californian
    14 years ago

If you cover your whole seed starting setup with one of these mylar aluminized reflective survival blankets it will probably get hot enough just from the fluorescent lights that you don't need a heating mat. I have a seven tube setup that gets up to 88 degrees inside if I close up the blankets completely.

• statton_james_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I agree that for the most part I feel that they are all the same. I have owned a few of these and I have really not seen any difference. Some have lasted more than one season and some have not. If you take good care of them then they will last.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprouter

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I have only made my own heat mats. The first two I used cables from Park seed which contain their own thermostat. The one I am using now was made from cables and thermostats from Charlies green house, because of its size. Parks has several cables you can buy and make your mat the size you want. Their cables with thermostats never gave me any trouble. The temperatures are set at 70 degrees, and are not adjustable. Al