Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Needs light to germinate'

Posted by bigbob7777 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 12:40

I will be trying to grow many annuals and perennials this year. Several packages say "Needs light to germinate". Can I sow the seed (unless tiny like dust) under a very small amount of soilless soil? Or do they all need to be surface sown with zero dirt? I worry about them drying out.

Also, do I put them under the fluorescents prior to germination or after?

Veggies are so much easier - LOL.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Needs light to germinate'

Hi Bob,

For seeds that need light for germination, it's usually recommended that you surface sow or very lightly push the seeds into the soil. I usually surface sow the seeds but use a very small amount of vermiculite (sifted through a screen to get only the finest particles) to sprinkle over the seeds. I carefully mist the vermiculite to dampen it and check every day or so to make sure it stays damp. This method has always worked well for me. Enough light gets through the fine layer of vermiculite and because I keep it damp, I don't have to worry as much about the seeds drying out.

Art

o

Thanks Art

o

For those seeds requiring light for germination, and they are usually like the size of dust, I start with a moist mix. Sprinkle the seed as evenly as possible, then with a smooth clear rigid plastic tamp the seeds down into the mix. Here you must be careful the seeds do not cling to the tamper. Next I set the container into a water bath about half the depth of the seed container. When the surface looks shiny I remove it from the water and cover the container with a clear plastic cling wrap. The surface will not readily dry and usually no further water will be required until the seeds can be seen to sprout and the plastic cover is removed. If the container has been on a heat mat to maintain the temperature it is removed from the mat and good air circulation is now required to help prevent damping off. Al

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 13:38

I usually prepare the soil and water well, and sprinkle seeds on top, and water again gently. cover container with dome or plastic wrap, about 1/2-1" above the seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here