Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to start seedlings for tomatoes, jalepeno's

Posted by ideal2545 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 17, 12 at 12:49

Hi Everyone,

I live in Socal in a warmer area (Santa Clarita), its characterized as a 8b-9b area. I was curious about what month it would be a good time to start seedlings for Tomatoes and Jalapeno plants. I want to make sure I start them on time to get the best yield. (I container garden so I want to get a 'jump' on the season to get a bit more).

Thanks from this newbie!
Jon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to start seedlings for tomatoes, jalepeno's

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 17, 12 at 13:03

mine are already started!

dec 21ish....will do some more but these are my container ones for xtra early harvest.....hopefully

o

What is your planned plant out date? Start your tomatoes 6-8 weeks before that and your peppers 8-10 weeks before that.

Dave

o

mine are already started!
dec 21ish....will do some more but these are my container ones for xtra early harvest.....hopefully

WOW!! That is way early for the Chicago area. It will be months before you can plant them outside. Zone 5 plant out time isn't until the end of May. Middle of May maybe with protection. But transplants that old will be heavily stressed.

Dave

o

Thanks for the info everyone, I would like to put them out in March April before it starts getting into the 100's in May/June/July. I started some seeds this past Saturday so lets see how it goes!

o

yeah admittedly i probably jumped the gun myself here in virginia...i started tomatoes and peppers on seed warmer in garage yesterday...
this is my first time starting from seed, so i wanted to get an early start in case i mess it up i still have some time to try again. that and i just got real anxious

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here