Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Welcome Back and what worked out last year?

Posted by keriann_lakegeneva 5b WI/IL Border (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 24, 11 at 13:09

Hello all! Wow it has been a while! I hope all of you are doing well and all have seeds coming in the mail and or have started some.

Are you guys and gals trying any new seeds out this year for fun?

Any seeds you are definitely skipping this year or definitely adding to your collection?

I cant wait to start hearing about all the seedlings germinating and all the �trash� talk about jiffy pots, tall domes and over watering! : ) ahhhh.. the same questions every year, but we were all there once, including myself.

Well, I have been bitten by the Brugmansia bug and I have over 40 in hibernation in my basement- what a cool plant!

I will for sure try �Baby-duck� petunias this year and I will for sure skip angels trumpet this year (they were soooo stinky inside).

I can�t wait to hear from you all

Ta Ta

Keriann~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Welcome Back and what worked out last year?

Burpee Laurentia (not hybrid) was a major disappointment for me last year. Sowed at the end of January, and they got HUGE inside, but there wasn't any flowers until August! I'm going to try just a couple of hybrid Laurentia Avant Garde, and then if they don't pan out, I'm writing them off!

New for sowing indoors: Wahlenbergia Undulata (Rockbell), Ruellia (mexican Petunia), and Calibrachoa, orange. The Calibrachoa actually had a few seedpods, but I hear they are typically sterile, and any seeds should revert back to the original petunia form, but I'm gonna try them anyways.

Any exotic growers out there?

o

Last year, I tried starting almost all my vegetables indoors. I quickly learned that, in my climate at least, most will do just fine being direct seeded in the garden. Now, my indoor sowing is restricted to tomatoes, herbs, peppers, broccoli, cabbage and greens. Peas, beans, squash and carrots are all going directly in the ground.

I'm also planting later! As a noob, I made the classic mistake every novice makes: Planting too early and thinking that will give me a "head start" on my veggies. All it does is make them struggle to stay alive until their optimum weather hits.

o

Did your calibrachoa from seed give you plants and what did the flowers look like?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here