Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigbob7777

Baggie method

bigbob7777
12 years ago

Howdy,

Thought I'd try the "baggie method" this year. Couple of questions:

1. When the seeds sprout, do I put the whole seed under soil; or just the root?

2. Is there a problem with the following scenario?: Group each paper towel into sections of 2 seeds each. When they sprout, cut the towel and place the whole thing (towel and seed) under soil. Will this inhibit the leaves? Other problems?

3. Any seeds that do NOT respond well to this method?

4. Is there a consensus as to when to plant in dirt; after rooting, but before leaves appear. Or AFTER cotyledon leaves appear?

THX Bob

Comments (2)

• art33
    12 years ago

Hi Bob,

Well, everyone has their favorite way of doing things, including germinating seeds. For that reason, I'm sure you'll get some answers to your post that seem contradictory to other answers you'll get :-) For that reason, let me make it clear that the answers below are nothing more than my humble opinion.

1) When the seeds sprout, do I put the whole seed under soil; or just the root?

Put the whole seed under the soil with the root straight down. I do that even with seeds that require light to germinate (if you see the radicle, they've already germinated). The usual recommendation is to plant the seed at a depth of about three times it's thickness.

2) Is there a problem with the following scenario?: Group each paper towel into sections of 2 seeds each. When they sprout, cut the towel and place the whole thing (towel and seed) under soil. Will this inhibit the leaves? Other problems?

If you check the seeds every day or so, I don't think you'll have any problem with the radicle (root) growing into the paper ( I never have). However, if they do and you need to cut the paper, I don't think the small piece of paper will inhibit the growth of the plant at all (it will soon decompose). To lessen the possibility of roots growing into the paper, some folks use coffee filters instead.

3) Any seeds that do NOT respond well to this method?

Not that I'm aware of, unless it would be very tiny (dust like) seeds that would be easily damaged when you try to move them into the soil.

4) Is there a consensus as to when to plant in dirt; after rooting, but before leaves appear. Or AFTER cotyledon leaves appear?

As far as I know, most folks put them into soil as soon as they see the radicle. I would think, the sooner the better; I can't see any advantage of leaving the seed develop any further.

Hope this is helpful,

Art

• bigbob7777
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again Art.

bob