Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pedicularis groenlandica (Elephant's Head)

Posted by redthreaddiy 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 7, 11 at 13:58

I have some elephant's head seed. I know they are considered a weed to most people, but I wanted to grow them anyways. I read that these seeds need cold stratification, but they have already started to germinate before I could get them outside.

I scattered a ton of seeds in the bottom of a milk jug, and now there are a ton of little seedlings. I am wondering when I am able to thin them without destroying them because they will be very overcrowded.

Also, there is white mold forming around the bottoms. Any way I can get rid of this without destroying my seedlings?

I also read that these plants need a host plant to survive with very specific soil requirements. Unfortunately, there isn't much information on these seeds. What is a host plant?

Any information or suggestions would be great. THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pedicularis groenlandica (Elephant's Head)

On the one ocasion I grew this plant I did not use cold stratification.
once the seedlings have their first true leaves then may be transplanted. The white molldis "damping off" the best thing you can do is increase air circulation around the plants.
As I understand it this plant is dependent of a "forest soil" a acid pH & high in organic material. & yes it is a "semi-parasitic"

o

i have never heard of this genus are you interested in trading some seed or perhaps sharing where to find it

o

I have since fixed the molding problem. Hooray!

How would one go about making sure that the soil is good for them to grow in?

ricjo22: I can trade you 25 seeds. Then you can let me know your experience as well!

o

i will check out your lists and e-mail you

o

i recently bought some elepant seeds off ebay,,, just punch in elephant head seeds and i am sure something will come up for you,,,I am also new at the plant,,bought a few on craigslist and cant wait tio plant them all over,,,

sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here