Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aptgarden

Gardenia from seed? What was I thinking?!?

aptgarden
11 years ago

Like 9 out of 10 folks here I can't keep them alive yet I can't stay away! I trying to grow it from seed this time to see if I have better luck. So far so good! My question is: I'd like to keep it small and compact when is a good time to prune? It's getting pretty tall. I want it to branch out. Also can someone tell me what type of Gardenia this is?

Comments (24)

• mandolls
    11 years ago

All I can say is congrats on what you have so far! It looks very healthy. It also looks like you are already getting a little side growth. I would pinch off the leading tip now to encourage it.

I have such a hard time nursing my gardenias through the winter. They are looking pretty bad right now, loosing leaves and complaining loudly.

I wish you continued success.

• aptgarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll pinch it off after this new set of leaves grow out. This is my third try at growing from seed. It's so hard to maintain the humidity they need in a NY apartment due to the heating. I was able to remedy the issue by placing them in a wardian case. Thanks for the advice! good luck with yours!

• Gretchen W.
    11 years ago

For humidity may I suggest you put the gardenia in the bathroom. There is enough humidity for it to survive. We have about 10 orchid plants in and around our large jetted tub. I am excited because one orchid has 15 buds soon to bloom.
    Good Luck with the Gardenia.

• Matt Conner
    9 years ago

So what's your secret to growing this beautiful baby? I have Gardenia seed myself. I have done attempted 2 or 3 times to grow it but each time nothing sprouts lol. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Most of the time I can grow just about anything lol. I can't even find directions on how deep to sew the seeds. So I'm just going blindly along lol. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

• aptgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I planted them about 1/2 inch to a 1/4 inch deep in peat moss. They took forever to sow. Two months If I remember. They are both still alive.

Almost lost them during a repot. There's a bud coming in.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Matt, how fresh is your seed?

Article from San Francisco Gate mag:

Gardenia seeds germinate best when sown fresh, shortly after their collection from ripe fruits and following about 24 hours of soaking in water. Gardenia seeds should be sown about 1/4 inch deep in a mixture of peat moss and sand or perlite and kept around 75 degrees Fahrenheit. It could take four weeks to three months for the seeds to germinate and gardenia seed germination is erratic.

(erratic germination means don't expect all seeds to germinate at the same time, they could sprout days - even many days - apart)

• aptgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Keep trying Matt. Gardenias are difficult but really rewarding!

Remember. Humidity humidity humidity lol

I use this table top humidifier. It works great!

• Matt Conner
    9 years ago

One thing I read last night was they don't like direct sunlight. Is this true? I have my seeds planted in a styrofoam cup and I mist the soil at night but only if it's dry. Then I always put it back on the windowsill which is a south facing window btw. There is also a heat duct right below the window. But now that we will be using the furnace less I'm not to worried about that. I also read to keep the temperature around 75 during the day and as low as 60 at night. These little things sure are picky lol

• aptgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine are on south facing window sill as well. They get about five to six hours of direct sunlight and they don't seem to mind. As far as temps go. They get what I get lol. Instead of misting put a small ziplock bag over the cup and prop it with skewers. That should maintain the humidity nice and high. If you get too much condensation build up take the baggie off for awhile then put it back on. Keep me posted.

• retr0_act1ve
    9 years ago

I'd had these Gardenia seeds from amazon in my frig. for about a year. On 4-1-15 I soaked them for 24 hours. I put them in a baggie filled with moist starting soil and put them in a heat/light box. On 4-18-15 twenty out of 50 seeds had germinated, today 4-20-15 forty-seven have germinated. I potted them up and put it in a clear bread bag under a heat lamp. Fingers crossed!

I start most seeds in baggie/peat or paper towel. I am too impatient and nosy...

• Matt Conner
    8 years ago

What's a heat/light box? This is all new to me lol

• retr0_act1ve
    8 years ago

Hey Hello.

My light/heat box is a rubber maid tub lined with reflective windshield shade from the dollar store with a 24" fluorescent light on top. I put a cheap thermometer on the bottom and use a glass pie plate filled with water for moisture. I use the lid to regulate the temperature and humidity. I use the same thing as a chick incubator. It isn't pretty but it works!

Lid on.

Lid off with Goji Berry seedlings.

Gardenia seedlings I put under brooder lamp.
    the seed pack actually had 75 seeds and as of 4-26-15 69 seeds have germinated! let's see how many survive me ;)

• Matt Conner
    8 years ago

I tried putting a sandwich baggy over my styrofoam cup that I had planted a couple of Gardenia seeds in. After a few days I had ntoiced that it was holding the moisture fine but white looking mold was beginning to be seen. So I took the bag off and it seems to have taken care of the problem. All I do is keep my soil moist but I have yet to have ever been able to get a single seedling lol. This is about my 3rd or 4th attempt at trying to germinate Gardenia. Thanks for sharing your set up with us

• smileclick
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The Tahitian Gardenia (Gardenia Tiatensis) I bought from eBay are germinated 24 hours after sowing, which is impressive. I used a small pot with gardenia potting mix moistened, and put a thin layer of coconut choir on top which I sprayed with water from a misting bottle. I then picked the seeds one by one of a white plate using a moist toothpick, and placed a few on top of the choir in in each pot, then misted the pots again. I then placed the mini pots in a clear plastic box and put next to a sunny window. About 90% germination. I seems they might want some sun and moisture for the seeds to germinate. The pic below is one seeding about 4 weeks from sprouting from its seed.

One mystery remains - how long will it take to flower (hopefully not 5 years).

• Robert England
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello, I live in Concord, CA. I like fragrant flowers so ordered some Japanese White Lilac and some 'Jasmine Gardenia' (?) The seeds were rather large, only a few of each. I did what I would with any plant, mulch underneath, potting soil in top, 2 inches apart and 1/4 inch under soil... I just put them outside and keep them wet, I haven't tried and special humidity things, maube im lucky here? Zip code 94520.. I do live right on a lake.. maybe that helps? I planted, but somehow one of each plant ended uo in one pot, so I have no idea which is the gardenia (or if it is real gardenia, it said Jasmin Gardenia... ) and which is the Japannese White Lilac! They took a Long time to sprout. I started late, June 20 or so., but am babying them, they get good morning sun, then couple hours break then good late afternoon sun.. One as you can see is very round with thick looking leaves, the other is taller and much pointier. I am assuming the roundy one is the Gardenia. Any advice is most welcome! Which is which? :)

• leucat
    7 years ago

I'm afraid I bear bad news. Neither looks like Gardenia jasminoides to me. Below are my seedlings, which will grow like aptgarden's.

Gardenia seeds are usually stained yellow by the fruit. If you soaked the seeds before sowing, you should have seen yellow coloring coming off.

• Rama Lababidi
    6 years ago

Can anyone put how germination step by step and write what you use and where you bought the items and the name of it

thank you so much

• Gretchen W.
    6 years ago

I look on You Tube when I need to know plant related issues.

• HU-101506631
    5 years ago

can you please post pictures of your seeds. i ordered some from wish and wanted to confirm if i got what i wanted

• HU-207977046
    3 years ago

Can anyone post a picture of gardenia seeds please /

I bought some on ebay but quite doubtful about th genuinity of them

Thankyou

• HU-858043866
    2 years ago

can someone show how to get the seeds from the white flower of the gardenia

• Joan Matlaga
    last year

My outside gardenia died past winter ..about two feet away from dead one a sprout appeared....can I assume it's from a seed dropped from original gardenia?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year
    last modified: last year

If you post a picture someone can probably tell you if it is a Gardenia. If it is it’s more likely to be growing from the roots than a seedling.