Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia from seed? What was I thinking?!?

Posted by NycRick 6B (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 14:08

Like 9 out of 10 folks here I can't keep them alive yet I can't stay away! I trying to grow it from seed this time to see if I have better luck. So far so good! My question is: I'd like to keep it small and compact when is a good time to prune? It's getting pretty tall. I want it to branch out. Also can someone tell me what type of Gardenia this is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia from seed? What was I thinking?!?

All I can say is congrats on what you have so far! It looks very healthy. It also looks like you are already getting a little side growth. I would pinch off the leading tip now to encourage it.

I have such a hard time nursing my gardenias through the winter. They are looking pretty bad right now, loosing leaves and complaining loudly.

I wish you continued success.

o

I'll pinch it off after this new set of leaves grow out. This is my third try at growing from seed. It's so hard to maintain the humidity they need in a NY apartment due to the heating. I was able to remedy the issue by placing them in a wardian case. Thanks for the advice! good luck with yours!

o

For humidity may I suggest you put the gardenia in the bathroom. There is enough humidity for it to survive. We have about 10 orchid plants in and around our large jetted tub. I am excited because one orchid has 15 buds soon to bloom.
Good Luck with the Gardenia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here