Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to grow purple coneflower from seed

Posted by beaglepup (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 12 at 14:18

I have some Purple Coneflower seeds that I want to grow.
Do I need to soak them first?
Please help me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to grow purple coneflower from seed

I winter sow them!! they seem to do better after a cold treatment.

o

I'm not sure if soaking your seeds will be helpful or not, but I do agree with aquawise regarding the cold treatment. If your seeds are not too old I'm sure some will germinate without any special treatment. However, cold stratification will definitely increase the germination percentage of your Echinacea seed. Winter sowing is fine or you could just put the seeds in a damp paper towel, or a small amount of damp Vermiculite, and keep them in your refrigerator for about a month before sowing them.

o

• Posted by rokal LongIsland/z6b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 17:17

I winter sow them!! they seem to do better after a cold treatment.

+1 Winter sowing works great for purple cone flower.

o

Mine also seemed to do better when I planted them in the fall but did not sprout until our spring weather kicked in. I have to keep planting just in case they do not come back the following year due to our hot summers. I still have some seeds if you would like a few. Just send me an email.

o

I have grown them a couple of times from purchased seed. Both the standard purple and the White Swan I didnt soak or cold stratify them. I began them in March, in flats under lights and planted them out in the late spring. They remained fairly small and didnt flower the first year, but came up huge and strong the following year and bloomed like crazy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here