Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best fertilizer for seedlings?

Posted by Etrsi_645 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 14:20

just a general liquid one at 1/4 strength or so?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best fertilizer for seedlings?

I wish it was that simple. :)

Instead there are some variables to consider. What age "seedlings"? What mix is in use - seed starting or a growing mix? What is in the mix? Was any rooting supplement used and if so you need to examine the root development. What type of seedling? Different plants have different needs. In your zone I'd be surprised you have seedlings already. What are the growing conditions provided? Container size and watering regimen? Overly small containers concentrate nutrients while over-watering washes nutrients out of the soil

So keeping in mind that many seedlings grown at the proper time for transplanting do not require any feeding, a VERY general guideline - once 'most' seedlings have developed 2 sets of true leaves (become a plant rather than a seedling) then a weekly (assuming standard watering regimen) feeding of a well diluted (1/8 to 1/4 strength), well-balanced liquid nutrient supplement will not harm them and may be of benefit.

But there are always exceptions so with seedlings, use any fertilizer with care. It is very easy to force top growth with fertilizers. But the focus needs to be on the roots and it is important to know if the root development can support all that top growth.

Dave

o
RE: best fertilizer for seedlings?

No seedlings yet... just planning ahead.. a Jiffy seed starting mix of peat and vermiculite, i think. 3 inch square Jiffy peat pots will be used (yes, i have read the warnings after the fact). no rooting supplement will be used for perennials and garden vegetables.. so, wait for true leaves then very dilute once a week

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here