Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jiffy Mix Inconsistent

Posted by jan44 z4b WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 15:03

I have used Jiffy Mix for years with great results. The past couple years, I've used the organic mix. This year, I went to Wal-Mart and it was packaged in foil bags, but labeled the same. When I opened the bag, it was mostly peat, not the fine vermiculite mix I usually get. Is it possible that Wal-Mart gets a "special (i.e. cheapo)" mix to keep price point lower? I'll use it, but will pick up a bag of vermiculite to add if I don't get good results. Just found it interesting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jiffy Mix Inconsistent

Jiffy is made by Ferry Morse. If it isn't quality, let them know. They guarantee it. WalMart also has satisfaction guarantee. Best option would be to return to the store.

Ferry Morse website: "If you ever have a problem with Ferry-Morse product, please let us know within one year of purchase. In the case of packet seeds, please return the empty packets and your sales receipt; in all other cases, the merchandise in question will need to be returned to us postage paid. Upon receipt we will replace your product or refund your purchase price."

Sort of a lame guarantee, though, because cost of sending the bag of mix to them may cost more than you paid for the product. Send it back within a year? I suppose you should dump it out of the pots into the bag? I think I would just send about a cup of it in the bag to them.

Let them know your concerns:

Customer service: customerservice@ferry-morse.com

Mailing Address:
Ferry-Morse Seed Company
601 Stephen Beale Drive
Fulton, Kentucky 42041

Call Ferry-Morse at 270-472-3400 or 800-626-3392

o
RE: Jiffy Mix Inconsistent

The vermiculite content in most all the potting mixes has been sharply reduced because of the asbestos problem. It is getting harder and harder to find as isn't mined nearly as much any more. So many of them have switched to perlite instead.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here