Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ferry-Morse seeds

Posted by LloydHolzmeyer none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 15:11

Hi

This is my first year to try to grow my garden plants from seed. I have requested several seed catalogs. I was at Lowes today and noticed they have a good selection of Ferry-Morse seeds at reasonable prices. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy these seeds.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ferry-Morse seeds

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 15:23

Not at all assuming you want to grow commonly grown varieties as that is what is predominately sold in stores. Seed catalogs provide a much wider selection of varieties and you usually get more seeds. But the cost + shipping is higher too. So if standard varieties are what you are after then the store-sold seeds are fine.

Dave

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 23:43

one of the better producing bush beans (top crop) I have grown came from a Ferry Morse packet, I also have had good experience with a cucumber (homemade pickles) that was from them. I don't have any complaints about the company.

Like Dave said though, you'll find better variety from the catalogs. As far as quality goes, I don't think you'll be disappointed with Ferry Morse.

o

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

o

What kind of veggies are you looking to grow? Marty

o

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 15:51

I always like when you can find unique varieties in the stores. For example I found a dwarf version of cilantro from Ferry Morse in the Lowes seed display. I'm interested in having short, bushy plants. I seeded some last night, so wil see how they turn out.

o

All three major seed companies that I know ( Ferry Morse, Ed Hume, Burpee) are basically similar in quality, quantity and somehow limited in variety. Putting all 3 of them together you can find most of what you need, unless you are after hard to fond varieties. I buy their seeds off the rack at the big box stores and rarely order seeds by mail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here