Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheemak_gw

dwarf fruit tree not much light

sheemak
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

As some of you probably know a while ago I asked for advice about my baby avocado tree. Well, thanks for all responses although it finally died :( Anyway I was thinking that perhaps growing another fruit tree would heal my broken heart.

I want a fruit tree that I can keep indoors and that would not require a lot of sun. If this is not possible I would really appreciate any advice about "growing light" that I might need to buy for it.

The important thing is, I want to grow my tree from seed. I've read on the web that this is possible for citrus trees but they need lots of light. Also I read that sour cherry trees don't need much light but I wonder how big they will grow.

So can you please let me know which fruit tree (miniature type) do you think would be the most suitable one for me. Also can you please also give me some references and links to read about it.

Comments (18)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

Most fruit tree's grown from seed will not produce fruit EXACTLY like the parent. The ceherry will get 25-30 ft.
    There are "Patio fruit trees" that get 3-4 ft but NOT from seed they are triple grafted... They also need a cold period to set fruit. might consider a fig tree (also not from seed) they will survive inside during the winter & prodcue fruit in the summer IF put outside after frost.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Google Dwarf Fruit Trees. Something like a cherry tree would grow in a decent size container.

But unless you are doing it to learn and not to be productive, I would buy a seedling. Yeah, they will cost $15-20 each, but you will have more than that in seeds, potting mix, lights and time, especially since the plants you buy are already a year or two old.

As stated above, most fruit trees need to chill for a while - not because they have been bad boys, it's just their nature.

I'm planning on growing two types of cherries plus apples and peach trees this year. Even though I'll be buying saplings, it will be at least 2012 before I get any fruit to speak of and probably 2014 before a huge harvest.

Mike

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses, but you see I really want to plant one from the very start - from seed. I don't want something which is a couple of years old.

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And another thing, how can one make a bonsai fruit tree. I mean I don't want my tree to be too small, just small enough to fit indoors. I read somewhere that you need to clip the roots a little as soon as they start to grow out of the seed. Does this really work? I read this article:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1468525/how_to_grow_a_dwarf_fruit_tree_from.html?cat=30

but it doesn't give much detail. Like how I should treat the seeds before planting them or would I still need to use a grapefruit hull if the fruit tree I want to grow is not citrus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Associated Content from yahoo - How to Grow a Dwarf Fruit Tree from Seeds

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

If you plant a seed from you regular market lemon, there is a good chance you will grow a Eureka lemon that will bear good lemons. It will not be a dwarf and in time will be difficult to keep small enough without trimming off the lemons to come. It will need to be moved outside after last frost and taken back in before first frost. While inside it will need as much light as you can provide. Go ahead, it will be fun. Al

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@ calistoga
    Hey thanks. Actually I just bought some lemons so I will. I'll just go and get some grapefruit for the hull and some apples too cos I want to try them aswell. Have you planted lemons yourself? If yes can you please tell me how you did it?

Guys I will try to post my progress but I would need a lot of help on the way. If anyone has experience with lemon, apple and avocado trees please give me some tips. I thank everybody in advance.

wish me luck ;)

• Man-Go-Bananas
    13 years ago

I've heard that kumquats will grow true from seed. If you have never had one, you are missing out. They are mini oranges that are extremely sweet. If you cant find seeds for those anywhere, I MIGHT be able to supply you. I simply grew them in a yogurt container filled with potting mix. Keep it warm. Both seeds sprouted, and are still doing amazing.
    ~Man-Go

• Man-Go-Bananas
    13 years ago

sheemak- I also am growing two very healthy lemon trees (from seed). They sprouted in about 2 weeks in a yogurt container. There are probably many better ways, but I had good success with this.

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Man-Go-Bananas, thanks.

I will definitely look for kumquats. As for the lemon trees, did you wash, dry, keep cold or do anything else with the seeds before planting?

• Man-Go-Bananas
    13 years ago

All I did with the lemon seeds is leave them out on a napkin for about an hour so they weren't slippery. The rest was just as easy.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    13 years ago

A lemon or a kumquat tree would definitely heal your broken heart. Both can be formed into bonsais and fruit in about 3-4 years. (websites say 5-10 but I grew a kumquat and it fruited in 3 1/2) Both are definitely great choices.

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again Man-go-bananas.
    I ate a Kumquat yesterday for the first time :) and yes you are right it's a wonderful fruit.

It had two seed. I washed them a little and kept them in wet paper towel untill today. Both had developed a kind of gel like thing on them today and I planted one in a cup size flower pot. The drainage of the soil I suppose is good enough. The PH is 5 - 6 which is acidic and good for a citrus tree I guess. Any way, on the package of the potting soil it says that its good for flowers and it gives the PH - that's all I understand because it's not in English. I'm planning to buy distilled water to water it with since the tap water here is rather hard.

The other seed I wrapped in a paper towel and put in a glass with a little water so that the towel around it is damp all the time but it's not directly in the water.

I live in Munich and I'm not good at Duetsch so it's rather difficult for me to communicate with the people I want to buy soil and stuff from.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try to write here whatever I do with each seed and if you think I'm doing something wrong please tell me.

Good luck to all.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    13 years ago

Do you know what kind of kumquat it was? That PH level should be fine.... Another good way to germinate them is in a mini-greenhouse or gently remove the case around the embryo and wrap the embryo in a towel- it will take about a week. By the way once the tree gets old enough, you can make it a bonsai and still let it fruit! A link is included with instructions- it will work the same with a kumquat tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonsai Lessons

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi man-go-bananas,

I'm not sure but the kumquat was rather oval instead of round. I took off the skin of another two seeds. One partially which I planted in soil. The other I took the whole outer skin off and left it in a wet paper towel. we'll see which one of these four does better in the end. Thanks so much for the link.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    13 years ago

Your very welcome. Since it was oval it was probably a nagami or fukushu.

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a question, How often should I water the kumquat seeds that I directly planted in soil?

• Man-Go-Bananas
    13 years ago

Just make sure that the soil is always moist, but not soaking. If it appears to be drying out, give it a thorough watering- BUT not soaking it. Usually this means a little bit once every day.

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi every one, hi Man-Go-Bananas,

In January I grew lemons, apples and kumquats as I said I would. They are all doing rather well. I have a couple of questions.

1-Lemons
    I planted some lemon seeds a month ago in Jiffy Easy pellets. I hope you all know what they are - small soil packs. I have kept them indoors in a light windowsill. Now they have grown very nicely, they are around 5-7 cm tall and have nice healthy looking leaves. The thing is their roots have started to come out of the bottom of the soil pellet. I want to make bonsai out of these trees. should I cut off the roots as they come out? Should I just let it be? Or should I transplant them quickly into a pot. The roots which have come out seem to be drying out.

2-Kumquats
    The Kumquats were planted in January too. Some I started in Jiffy easy pellets and some in wet paper towel. All of them are now transplanted in Jiffy easy pots, which are pots made of some sort of cardboard it seems, with potting soil. The baby trees look as if they can't stand their own weight even tho they are so small still. Should I put a stick or something to support them? And how? I want to keep these trees as small as possible too. What do you suggest?

3- Apples
    I started some of the apple seeds in January and some a little later after being kept in the fridge for a while. They are all growing nicely except for three of them which I kept outside in the cold and snow and they are sprouting but on the soil, I see a kind of white colored fungus (mold) growing. should I throw them away. The rest of them are OK. some have even grown another set of leaves. In order to dwarf them should I be pinching out the new set of leaves?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Cheers