Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Date of Frost Free Dates

Posted by muddypaws4ever 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 15:41

Hi all.
Have a general question. I have now found three different sets of frost free dates for my zip code 45239 on the internet. They range from April 15, to April 30, to May 15. That's quite a spread. I'm working on my seed sowing calendar. Should I just split the difference and go with April 30 or does someone in Zone 6 have an opinion on which one is more accurate?
Thx
muddypaws

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Date of Frost Free Dates

Cincinnati seems to have its own little pocket of 6b within the 6a zone. 6b (same as mine) has a LFD of Apr. 20th.

Of course those are just general guidelines - one of the main reasons for keeping your own annual records but for also exchanging info with other local growers. Any nurseries or greenhouses or commercial growers in your vicinity? Ask what date they use.

And of course the current charts don't take into consideration the current weather trends for the country as a whole. They indicate much warmer (earlier LFD's) for the up coming year. Many growers in my area are anticipating planting as much as 2 weeks earlier than what has been considered normal in the past.

So I'd use April 20th but monitor the forecasts closely and make provisions for April 12-15th planting with come cover if necessary.

Hope this helps but check with locals for the most accurate info.

Dave

o

Part of it is the difference between an official "frost" (low temp of 32 at a reporting station) and ground frost.

Here where I am now, the numbers match rather well, being that I am on highish ground not far from the airport where our temps are recorded. Typically, as long as the official temp is over 32, I rarely lose any plants.

However, when I lived in Akron, OH - I ROUTINELY had killing ground frost that would wipe out bean plants, etc in mid to late May when the "official" low was 37 or 38 degrees. It's not that Akron is different per se in that regard (other than colder overall), just that there, I lived in a valley where cold air collected, so I got later spring and earlier fall frosts.

Which is why the "Memorial Day" adage existed there - most old timers never planted annuals until Memorial Day - although the average LFD at Akron-Canton airport is Apr. 29, ground frosts into mid-May are typical.

o

Great info! Thank you so much. Now I get it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here