Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crepe Myrtle Seeds

Posted by grannybrug z7 ESVA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 06 at 15:49

Does anybody know what a Crepe Myrtle seed looks like? I have several seed pods but I'm not sure which part of the pod is the seed. There seems to be some very small, about 1/2 inch size flakes that have fallen from the pod that sort of resemble maple tree seeds. I was wondering if that is the actual seed because there is nothing else inside the pods.

Thanks,
Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crepe Myrtle Seeds

The seed pods are round and split open into about 5 sections but remain attached so that the open pod resembles a little flower. The sections spill out flatish papery half circles (well lima bean shaped?)which are the seeds. Your description sounds right!

o

Cynthia, that was a super-fast response. Thank you! And "Happy New Year" to you and yours.......Diana

o

Crepe Myrtle start easily from seed. Start the seed early in the year to be sure to have enough strength in the seedling to go through the first dormant season. Al

o

Thanks, Al. Some seeds are germinating right now.

Diana

o

• Posted by emxry Virginia (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 3, 06 at 16:32

What's the trick to start crepe myrtle seeds from seed? I got some seeds the other day from a tree but have no idea how to start them. Can you offer the right way to do this?
Thanks!
Catherine

o

Surface sow on moist (not very wet) composted soil or planting mix with compost. Lightly spray to wet the seeds and then place in a plastic grow bag or zip lock baggie. Place somewhere warm (75 - 85 F) and light. Most seeds should germinate within a few days, with many successful sprouts developing to adulthood rapidly.
Good luck!
Diana

o

I have extra if anyone wants some.They came from a myrtle that has fuschia blooms.

o

Bonnie, I would love to receive some seeds. Diana

o

I would love some as well if you still have them!

o

Don't forget that if you are growing the seed from one of the great hybrids, your seedlings are going to be highly variable. The genetic lineage of those Crapemyrtles is enormous!

o

I would love some of the crepe myrtle seeds you have as well if you still have them! thanks

o

would love some if you have more

o

I found some crepe myrtle seeds lying on the ground next to the tree itself.....how do I know if they are still good? I don't know how long they have been there. When can I take seed pods off of the tree? Someone please let me know. The tree probably won't be there much longer. A highway is coming through the property and they will probably push it down. I'm kind of in a bind, here.
Schelle

o

Hello!I am new to FLorida as of August 6th 2006. I had to ask what those beautiful flowering trees were and I am told they are Crepe Myrtles. From a Distance they resembel A lilac bush The ones I grew up with in Washington state. The seeding process sounds simple..Can you inlighten/instruct me how and when to harvest seeds . The trees are every where, parking lots, parks, landscapping etc. Right now they seem to be in full bloom. When can I look for those pods? Will they be on the ground or in the tree, then what. Post or email me please js4jc2day@hotmail.com Thanks so very much.

o

if anyone still has some crepe myrtle seeds to share i would love some. thanks . elma

o

Does the crepe mirtle pods attract squirrels?, are the pod hard that when atep on it may cause slips or twist ankle?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here